Sportback roof bar/box question

Flat6

Brilliant Black Black edition
Reaction score
Prob asked on here before but can't use search at the mo...

Can a roof box be fitted to an A3 SB without having the factory roof rails fitted? Are there any fixings or channels which allow fitment of roof bars without having the rails?

Halfords website for example doesn't specify that their roof bars are only for 5 door A3's with factory fitted rails...

Thanks.

There are two different types of roofbars for the A3. One for those with rails and one for those without.
According to Audi website roof bars without roof rails have max 50kg load weight. Roof bars with roof rails have same load weight.
So you should be okay with a roofbox either way. If in doubt ask your dealer.

Prob asked on here before but can't use search at the mo...

Can a roof box be fitted to an A3 SB without having the factory roof rails fitted? Are there any fixings or channels which allow fitment of roof bars without having the rails?

Halfords website for example doesn't specify that their roof bars are only for 5 door A3's with factory fitted rails...

Thanks.

Yes, you dont need roof rails to have roof bars and roof box, I looked at this last summer.
You can choose between the aluminium shaped look or the black rectangular ones.
Audi do their own aluminium ones them but have a limit of 50kg.
Thule do both styles.
Mont Blanc were difficult to get hold of.
I decided to go for Atera Signo AS - aluminium ones. They have a foot on the roof and a clamp that goes inside the top of the door frame.

I thought it might be useful to update this thread on the max load for A3/S3 Roof Bars.

Having bought some and reading the instructions they tell me the max roof load weight is 75kg and not 50kg. Part No 8P9 071 151 666

Remember though that according to stickers on the roof bars they weigh 5kg (5.3kg according to my scales!).

So Audi reckon that you should be okay to load on 70kg on top of the bars.