Low Oil message on DIS?

deol

Reaction score
driving down the m6 today and i get the 'please check oil level' minimum level warning appear on my DIS. so i pull up into good old corley services and pop the bonnet, oil level is at the very lowest mark on the dipstick. so i top it up with a good 2-3 litres of oil which i luckily keep in the boot, let it settle, check the dip stick again and the level is fine. get back in the car carry on my drive and the warning light remains on. only had it serviced 5000miles ago, with a complete oil and oil filter change, i can't work out why it has lost so much oil.

any ideas why the warning light is still on?

thanks
deol

it's fine apparently, took it to the local garage for a second opinion on the dipstick level, guy said the oil level is ok, i think the oil level line is around the bit where the dipstick widens from the rectangle bit if that makes any sense.

2-3 litres will be too much! The difference between top and bottom of the oil stick will normally be about 1 litre.

I suggest you drain the oil and avoid using the engine if possible as the oil pressure will be outside normal tolerances!

yeh i think my guestimate was a bit over exaggerated, just checked the oil i had in the boot and it was just over 1.5 litres that i put in when i topped it up, the level on the dipstick is fine though so i assume the level was very low?