Just need 300bhp!

GregC

Reaction score
I had a long chat with Turbo Dynamics today - really helpful guys. They said that a serious limitation with the A4 setup was the Exhaust Manifold - it gets too hot and cracks over time. They can modify the K04 to get to 300bhp but heat makes it impractical for the A4 as things stand with my car.

This got me thinking about Intercoolers. Has anyone fitted an upgraded intercooler to an A4 B5 1.8TQ? Is it worth doing?

Also does anyone know if there is a different Manifold out there for the A4 - everything seems to be made for the S3, TT, Golf which have their engines mounted the other way round.

Seriously wondering whether an S3 would have been a better purchase....

maybe vent the manifold and there are these heat resisting gaskets about (not sure what is thought of there longevity though)

yes i am sure there intercooler upgrades available, i think APR were making one? but definently something about,

amazing they can get near 300hp out of a k04, y not go for a ihi roller bearing, boost will be lower spool very fast and i don't think there have been any complaints, you could perhaps buy one from jabba and get a custom manifold made cos they don't do a longitudinal one.

2p

if you don't get any luck there, dubsport up north do one of custom manifolds but aren't cheap.

tsr also have a range of viper turbos up to 300hp when i last checked probably more now for longitudinals aswell as transverse

Thanks guys. Making enquiries - so far no-one does anything for a Right Hand Drive A4 Quattro Turbo from those I have tried - the engine is the wrong way round for any of the A3, Golf etc stuff to fit.

If I find anything good will let you know.

Markey - what power are you getting and are you happy? Guess I could get my K04 modded and add an intercooler if the results are worthwhile.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Also who fitted the intercooler?

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

The intercooler was fitted by myself although it is removed a the moment whil i modify som S4 bumpers so it pokes through and gets lots of air into it...

I will post all my dyno results later with boost pressures to give you an idea.....

...And no one does an IHI for the A4 Quattro (from what I can tell).

Looks like I am stuck with my 240BHP for a while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Unless there are any other ideas..? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers Rich - spoke to them a few weeks ago - Left hand drive only!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wish I had considered metalwork at school...

[ QUOTE ]
GregC said:
Cheers Rich - spoke to them a few weeks ago - Left hand drive only!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wish I had considered metalwork at school...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why left hand drive only?

Rich

I know Sportec do some good A4 bits... as do Dahlback... They have a 550bhp 1.8T A4!

Rich