a3 fuel economy

gazfire1

Reaction score
can anyone help me, im running a 2006 1.9 tdi currently getting 600 miles to a tank,has anyone got more out of a tank, if so how much and how,im doing about 350 miles a week so,and driving like miss daisy,im keeping to speed limits and cruise control as much as possible ,not using air con,,im told by someone at audi its possible to get 700 from a tank,

This should of been posted in the A3/S3 section dude....

I'm sure a mod will move it so you can get an answer from people who have a similar motor to you....

can anyone help me, im running a 2006 1.9 tdi currently getting 600 miles to a tank,has anyone got more out of a tank, if so how much and how,im doing about 350 miles a week so,and driving like miss daisy,im keeping to speed limits and cruise control as much as possible ,not using air con,,im told by someone at audi its possible to get 700 from a tank,

How "empty" are you making the tank? (the gauge may say empty but there could be as much as 2 gallons still left inside = 100miles).

The best most accurate way is to fill the car up fully, reset the trip meter, then when you think it's "empty" completely refil the tank noting how many litres you put in.

Divide the number of litres by 4.55 = gallons. Divide your trip meter reading by the number of gallons = your real MPG. I think knowing this figure accurately will tell you if the car is running ok/getting good economy.

Last edited:
I wouldnt complain about 600miles per tank!

In my 2.0TDI I was getting 470-530miles per tank but it was remapped, big wheels, sound system etc...

I drove back 225 miles from Manchester last weekend on a 1/4 of a tank in my 2.0tdi. That was leaving it on cruise control at 70mph apart from the last 10 miles.

thats good mileage, loads better than mine,if i drive from full to needle on bottom of empty i get 602 miles, and thats driving like miss daisy at 55mph, im told that cruise control uses more fuel ,cant see how but it came from a bod at audi,think he might have been snorting white powder cos i cant see how it would ,im still working on getting more, would like to see 650 but i might be a little optimistic maybe

Hi, im regarding empty as needle just hitting bottom of empty, but im sure youre right about once it registers empty there could be atleast 1 gallon left, i had a 3series bmw some years ago and once it said empty i could get 100+ miles, thanks for your help mate

just got back from holiday. done 634 miles on the tank. calm motorway driving 70-80 mph. i used shell vpower.

im told that cruise control uses more fuel ,cant see how but it came from a bod at audi,think he might have been snorting white powder cos i cant see how it would ,im still working on getting more, would like to see 650 but i might be a little optimistic maybe

Yes cruise control can sometimes use more fuel than someone with a dedicated right foot, it's because the cruise can sometimes over compensate a little or will flatly stick to the set limit regardless of incline; say uphill etc, where an economoy driver may just let the car slow a little on the inclimb (ie not add any throttle) and on the descent let it coast faster than the cruise control would have set too, the net mpg is better than constant cruise control speed.

I still think it's more accurate to see what your car is really doing MPG wise calculateing it yourself based on the actual fuel used. You can then use that as a basis to estimate the true range base on the tank capacity. If the tank is 60l(?) then the audi figure will likely be based on that but you're never likely to run down past the last gallon which could be 60miles.

HI MATE,THANKS FOR THAT, MAKES A LOT OF SENSE AND DOES BACK UP WHAT AUDI TOLD ME,IM TOLD MY A3 HAS A 55 LITRE TANK,I RAN IT TILL THE NEEDLE HIT THE BOTTOM OF THE GAUGE AND GOT 610 MILES,I FILLED UP AT THE GARAGE AND PUT 55 AND A BIT FUEL IN,SO WHEN THE NEEDLE HITS THE BOTTOM OF THE GAUGE IT MUST BE EMPTY,I SUPPOSE 610 MILES IS VERY GOOD BUT A BIT SHORT OF THE 700 QUOTED BY AUDI ,

ok well just to update my last thread, just filed the tank, been driving steady for last few weeks,using country roads instead of fast main roads,and got 711 miles out of tank,thats got to be it,dont think i will get anymore, im told its got a 55 litre tank,does anyone know any different

i get 625 outta my 1.6 petrol, if it had a sixth gear id see 675 i reckon

next month that all changes, down to 200 in the s3

ok well just to update my last thread, just filed the tank, been driving steady for last few weeks,using country roads instead of fast main roads,and got 711 miles out of tank,thats got to be it,dont think i will get anymore, im told its got a 55 litre tank,does anyone know any different
Fantastic mileage! Your clever driving style and road choice most likely contributed to this efficiency. Tank capacity specs vary by model and year, so consult your vehicle's manual or a trusted source. Regardless, obtaining 711 miles per tank demonstrates both your driving habits and the efficiency of your vehicle.PM KISAN