Trip computer on DIS

samil87

Reaction score
When pressing the reset button for my DIS menu.

It navigates through computer 1, computer 2, digital speedo and then the actual menu to chage settings.

Almost everytime I start the car trip computer 1 resets itself, is this normal?

Trip computer 2 has been going for around 9000 miles.

Lastly what does the left button on the clocks do, the one next to the rev counter?

Thanks

Trip Computer 1 will reset itself if the car is not re-started for a period of more than 2 hours since the car was switched off, as stated in the Driver's Handbook. I find this annoying - I want Trip Computer 1 to behave the same as Trip Computer, i.e don't reset automatically.
The left button is used to reset the clock, as well as re-displaying any warnings that may only appear briefly in the DIS.

Yes Computer 1 is a "recent" trip computer, Computer 2 is a long term record (I reset this one when I bought my car recently so will leave this one alone).

I reset the regular manual trip meter when the car is filled up, so the Computer 1/single journey meter is useful IMO to give you stats on indivudal journies.

Trip Computer 1 will reset itself if the car is not re-started for a period of more than 2 hours since the car was switched off, as stated in the Driver's Handbook. I find this annoying - I want Trip Computer 1 to behave the same as Trip Computer, i.e don't reset automatically.
The left button is used to reset the clock, as well as re-displaying any warnings that may only appear briefly in the DIS.

Yeah normal behaviour.

I don't understand why you want trip comp 2 to act the same as 1 though? or have I misread that...

Yeah normal behaviour.

I don't understand why you want trip comp 2 to act the same as 1 though? or have I misread that...
Is it for redundancy? So that if trip computer 1 fails, he could revert to trip computer 2? But if the 2 trip computers shows different info, how do you know which one is right? You would need 3 trip computers.

thanks for the info guys

it is annoying that trip 1 keeps resetting itself

The left button does multiple functions, like check date, set speed warning, etc. You should read the manual for much of the controls that has dual functions.

Anyway, trip computer 1 is for the purpose of displaying stats when you are taking a trip. The 2 hr reset window is likely so that when you hit the pub or loo for a break, it will not reset itself, that is unless you are having problems and have to sit there for more than 2 hours.

Last edited:
I don't see what the problem is. Computer 1 tells you stats about the drive you're currently doing or have been doing that day and computer 2 is a non-resetting computer. If you want to record stats over a longer time then you have the facility to do that by resetting it manually.

Yup Staz, kinda with you on that one.

My DIS issue is it doesn't have enough options, plenty of space for the missing DLR, coming home etc needing filled lol. Time for module replacement lol

Just consider yourself lucky you have a trip computer. I haven't, and would kill for 1, let alone 2!:jump:

True, but hopefully a distraction I will have soon.......:icon_thumright:

Even better though, when you add RNS-E, you get a FIFTH page, which shows abbreviated directions, turn arrows, lane position hints and countdown-to-turn bars...

And it means they're right in front of you, instead of looking away and down to the radio...

Now THAT's handy!

Keith

The only disadvantage of DIS with the RNS-E is that the song title from mp3 or FM's won't scroll anymore

I don't particularly remember FM song titles scrolling before... but maybe they did.

I'd rather have directions to places I don't know that read the titles of tunes that I do know, though! :icon_thumright:

:music:

It didn't scroll, but displayed artist. I think you have to have the RDS enabled.

The only other bad thing is with the RNS-E and it giving you the directional display on the DIS, you have to leave that feature to check your trip computer. It is almost permanent always on that screen in my car, I rarely scan around the trip computer anymore like I use to when I didn't have the RNS-E

What i hate about the A3 DIS is that you can't have the digital speedo and trip computer showing like you can on the others models

On the A4 i was just given as a courtesy car, you have the digital speedo on permenantly, and then you can scroll through MPG, trip 1, trip 2 etc underneath it

Hate's a strong word though hehe, I don't know what use the digital speedo is, it's just a gimic really IMO - you've got a huge speedo dial which is much better at telling you the speed quickly!!

I'm no fan of digital dashboards/speedos; the analogue speedo is much easier to read at a glance, you know even without reading the figures where your speed is and it's probably why very few manufacturers are using digital speedos.

analogue remains, just like suits still remain, analogue watches etc. Its just seen as right, classy & perhaps digital can look 'cheap'? There is a move towards digital, especially with renault.

Yea Renault have been using digital speedos for years (some cars in the 80s did, like the Astra GTE, Meastro and Fiat Tipe) but I remember driving a Renault with this and you can't tell at a half-glance what it's reaading you have to "read" the number, which is different to the analogue needle speedo which IMO is why many manufacturers will stick with analogue.