Is my car safe to drive

s3 man

Reaction score
Can somebody please tell me if it's safe to drive my car with exhaust gas temp sensor faultyy

For about 2 month over winter i used my S3 with a faulty EGT sensor because the price of it replacing was a real sting. The fault logged on my ECU was an intermittent fault so it was possibly working most of the time and i never experienced limp mode which is normally what happens when the fault is picked up by the ECU. It never did any harm however i drove the car very steady and only for short journeys to make sure things didnt get too hot. Over a long period of time i imagine it could damage the turbo and CAT. Just try to stay off boost when driving until you get it fixed.

What fault is stored on the ECU ? Have you tried clearing it and checking if it comes back ?

Cheers
Sean.

ive got 17863-exhaust gas temp sensor (G235) implausible signal - p1455-35-10 intermittent.I cleard the code y'day and checked 2day and it has not come back on.Have you changed yours the sean?

so do you think its worth changing it so i dnt cause any damage to the turbo an cat?

If the EGT sensor is faulty the ECU will enrichen the mixture across the rev range as protection... EGT probe is there as protection for when the engine gets too hot from a lean mixture (which shouldn't happen) or for when the EGTs get too high due to being backup by the **** poor design of the K04 exhaust manifold... when the ECU detects EGTs over much over 900 degrees it will shift to another part of the map effectively dumping fuel to help cool the cylinder temps down...

I managed to find a used EGT probe on ebay.de for £50... don't overlook ebay.de as alot more of this sort of part will appear on there rather than on ebay.co.uk...

I tried TPS and Audi to try and get a good price on a new probe and its around £170 regardless as VAG do not discount this part much at all...

In answer to your OP... Yes, you can drive your car but don't go silly in it as it will use a shed load of fuel and prolonged use could potentially bore wash the cylinders causing premature wear and diluting the oil... oh, and ****** up the lambda and CAT...

looky here for a part number
http://www.wak-tt.com/egt/egt.htm

<tuffty/>

<tuffty/>

ok thanks m8.the car is remapped and has a 3inch downpipe an decat.will this cause more damage than normal tuffty?

No... when mine was playing up (high EGTS as the ECU is calibrated to a K04... which mine isn't!!) it was showing 0.7's or lower AFR and I was getting bad misfires... my setup is different to yours of course but I would get it sorted sooner than later... its not a cheap part but as with any other sensor the ECU relies on its an important part of making the engine run properly...

Its not a difficult part to replace tbh... easy enough to get to the back of the turbo to undo the probe itself (17mm spanner IIRC) and the little black box is under the inlet mani above the altenator... trim panel off, unplug wiring from EGT black box, 2 x 5mm allen bolts to remove the metal plate, undo the plastic hose clip on the end of the metal plate or at least try to move the metal plate enough out of the way, 2 x 5mm allem bolts holding the black box to the underside of the inlet mani... job done... sort of... the worst bit is threading the old probe back round from the gearbox side of the engine and threading the new one round...

Reassemble and have a tipple of your choice :)

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
Ok.The code hasnt come back on yet as i tried it again 15mins ago after getting some petrol.Will it always log a fault if the sensor is not working correctly or can there still be a fault but not not show a code.Also can you rember the code you got?

If the code hasn't come back then all will be good... the ECU will log a fault if it reoccurs so if no fault then arguably no problem... just keep an eye on it.

I have had all sorts of issues revolving around EGTs that would take too long to explain and are not related to your problem as I run a big turbo not a K04... have a read of my build thread if you haven't already, its all in there :)

<tuffty/>

S3 Kam yes i changed mine, i cleared the fault but it kept coming back. Think it was about £200 fitted ! Not happy with parting with that amount of money for such a sensor but like others have said it is quite an important part. Scan for faults again in a few days, hopefully it wont have come back.

Thanks tuffty.You have been a great help

Thanks aswell sean.you have also been great help