Ouch! Hit a bird this morning...

BigBird

Lost in music...
Reaction score
As above - I've made a suicidal pheasant's day on the way to work. Limited damage to the car considering the size of the bird. Bit more than limited damage to the bird I feel.
Anyway, anyone got ideas for a rough price for the black mesh NSF foglight surround for an '07 S3? The foglight itself & the bumper are luckily undamaged but the mesh is detsroyed. Or anyone got a spare one lying around I could buy?

Finally, does the bumper have to come off to replace the mesh unit? I've looked, but can't see how it'd fit in without bumper removal.

Cheers for any help given. :thumbsup:

if you mean passengers side which i fear you dont i have a grille and a foglight for it. its a bumper on jub just pull firmly i belive and then 3 screws for the fog

i had the same thing happen to me a couple of months ago same side also lol
you can order them from audi i was quoted £38
i managed to get one off ebay for £7:icon_thumright:

hope you gonna eat the pheasant as its cost you a fair price already love a good road kill :happy:

Had a wood pigeon went through the front grill on my 20TQ, luckily the grill wasn't broken but I was finding bits of pigeon for weeks.

Mark

The exact same thing happened to me about 6 months back. Smashed the black vent thing where the pg is and snapped all the plastic bits holding the fog light in. With a fair amount of blood! Would of stopped but I was on a dual carriageway. The puff of feathers in the rear view mirror was impressive!

LOL! As I was posting, I was chuckling at my choice of log in name...

Not laughing at the stupid Audi parts guy who forgot to order it yesterday though. Even after I'd driven round there & discussed the part with him in front of my car.:banghead:

When I mentioned the 2 Hr, 40 mile round trip I'd have to do to collect it tomorrow, he said they're short of staff. And a memory. And a customer now.

Oh well, at least I'm not due to fly off on holiday today...

Your username did make me chuckle. That's a fair old distance to travel to an Audi garage!

My mates used to think I danced like big bird off Sesame street & it kind of stuck. I've been called worse...

The Audi garage is on my way to work on a weekday, but an annoying traffic filled hassle on a weekend. It won't be repeated once I've got the part tomorrow though. Finally got the hint to stop using the stealer. Their people are helpful & stuff generally got done, but so short staffed that the queues were stupid. Stuff 'em...

so you woulda been cheaper wi me in foresight haha sorry to hear that mate i hate useless parts desks ive pleny of experience with them

Had a wood pigeon went through the front grill on my 20TQ, luckily the grill wasn't broken but I was finding bits of pigeon for weeks.

Mark

Sorry I couldn't resist but ... 'Grilled' Wood Pigeon.... most people find it quite appetising.... :o.k:

so you woulda been cheaper wi me in foresight haha sorry to hear that mate i hate useless parts desks ive pleny of experience with them

Much appreciated your prompt help fella - you were cheaper for the part but I wanted to get it fixed asap & the swift post charges can be a bit pricey for sending stuff on!

Got the part this morning & fitted it easy. Sorted!

A pheasant is a pretty big bird, to you guys I guess! Unfortunately for me, I can top this one....but its one for the storybooks.

VILLAIN NAME: American Muscovy Duck
DESCRIPTION: Hideous , enormous, barely able to fly waterfowl masquerading as a duck. Could be mistaked for a floating turkey. Omnipresent everywhere in the suburbs of Americana, that have even a small body of water, largely apartment complexes where the MORONS living there feed them and then complain about droppings, lol.
They rival a rabbit's able ability to procreate. At least rabbits are cute.

SCENARIO: I swear, it's true. Wait till you hear what this f!@#$@#r did, and what it cost. 1800 hours, MIA time...innocent black A3 is cruising home to its family, now less than three minutes away from the barn. It's dusk, but still light out (this is Miami, after all). Proceeding along the road paralleling a small canal, I observed the usual flotilla of ugly feathered pseudo- turkey things floating about. Suddenly, one gets on the move and flapping its huge wings madly, takes off. I expected it to hit the water again real fast, as they usually do when a sqabble erupts in the group, as apparently one had, and this sucker was BIG. Nope. It was not to be.....amazingly, this thing liffted off , like a 747, and GAINED ALTITUDE and speed. This sucker was moving, and now It was keeping even up with my car as it flew above the canal....... - then it suddenly made a fatal 90 degree (SHARP) turn.......RIGHT INTO MY PATH. Being a residential road, I was only doing 25mph but that turn, plus the unexpectedness of this huge specter actually flying like a real bird, put him at point blank no-reaction-possible range, I hit him almost instantaneously. A cloud of feathers ensued, as well as a sickening crunching cracking noise, and he sailed back over the canal the opposite way in an arc, just like a football field goal kicker's touch on the ball. But that 30pound sh!@#$ bag took out my driver headlight. TOTALLY SMASHED.

EPILOGUE: I'm an idiot. I forgot the insurance deductible, for some reason I thought headlights were covered the same as windshields at zero deductible (at least, here in the US they are). Nope. $800 usd out of my pocket, from the dealer, car OTS for three days. Could have sourced that light on the internet and put the damn thing in myself easy, maybe a quarter of the cost:motz:

People around here think its so cute, they will actually yield :slap:while these sly creatures waddle across roads right in front of approaching traffic. Lookout feathered demon...after that experience I had....well......I've got paddle shifters AND turbo....AND APR power. I won't miss.

i currently have a dead pheasant wedged under my car at the moment.

I DIDNT KILL IT

just my car is too low and scooped it up

i tried pulling it out but its truly stuck, i need to find a garage who will let me use their ramps so i can get rid of the ****** before it starts rotting or cooking seeing that its by the exhaust.

also hit a dead badger due to not concentrating but that didnt stick i just spread the mess down the road :S

even jacked up its in such a tight spot i cant get a good angle on it to pull, its going on ramps soon so i can get at it properly.