Need help... car acting really weird...

Gryphon001

Reaction score
Ok, I may have a problem with the car and would appreciate any help in trying to diagnose it. Over the last few weeks I have experienced a strange 'hesitation' when I hit the gas hard on the highways. The car felt as if something pulled it back for a second and than it just continued on it's way.

Today the car was at the dealership for some work, namely alignment, induction cleaning (decarbonization ) service and I mentioned the hesitation to them and asked to have it looked into. The car came back at 5 this afternoon feeling like a brand new car, They even washed the damn thing.

Everything was perfect till about 8pm when I tried to punch it on the highway the car shuddered so I let off the gas... did it again and the car started shaking really badly and the CEL started flashing. I pulled over, turned cruise control to the off position and turned off the car. When I restarted it a few seconds later, no CEL and the car seems to be running fine. At this time I was running the 93 octane program from APR and had about a quarter of a tank left. Several times more on the highway I would get the shudder though, but fortunately no CEL.

When I got off the highway I switched the car to 91 octane program and still got the hesitation/shudder... Switched it to stock and no hesitation/shudder. I went to fill up with 94 octane gas, which I always use, and switched it to 91 octane program. The shudder is still there, but less pronounced.

The dealership told me they checked the codes and found nothing, checked the spark plugs and coil packs, all seemed fine and the car drove normally (in stock mode obviously). Don't know if they checked the cam follower though and I don't know whether that would have caused such a problem.

Need some input so I can start figuring out what the hell is going on :banghead:

Thanks in advance guys...

Not sure if it is the same, but I had a similar thing recently on my 04 plate 2.0tdi.

It was due a service, as it was slightly overdue so I changed the air filter, which was really clogged up which helped a little bit, but after that didnt solve it I took the MAF out and gave all the sensors and contacts a blast with compressed air to get any particles off.

Might be worth a try? VAG MAF's are pretty pants and known for going wrong.

As said, might not be the case but could be worth a try.