Clutch pedal snapped

Loads mate, common fault, least you werent pulling out at a roundabout with on coming traffic like me lol.

Cruise/Engine control switch.

I think it make more sense if you chnage the master cylinder around 45pounds to buy and a new pedal not more than 25pounds, but audi want nearly 350 to fit it. so find a good vag garage to do it for you for 1/3 of the price. the cylinder has been revised, and it will avoid the same thing hapening again.

I've had exactly this problem 2 weeks ago so it's very fresh in my mind.

My problems were made worse though as we attacked changing the pedal. Friend accidentally snapped the clutch position sensor, the pedal was loose, moving from side to side.

I purchased the Pedal (arm) itself and the white plastic oblong shaped clip. The plastic clip inserts into the oblong shaped housing in the pedal arm and the master cylinder rod slides in and clips in (tightly).

I don't have part numbers but sure i've got the bags in the car and paperwork Audi printed for me, will get these for you tomorrow.

MAKE SURE you buy a bush kit and fit it if you replace the pedal (I would) as it will be loose otherwise.

There is no need whatsoever to replace the master cylinder as its totally unnecessary. £34.xx was all it cost to get the parts, if the sensor hadn't broken (£55) then it would have worked out cheaply.

Beware though its a tightly fitting job and very awkward.

G

Forgot to say, if you are handy then around an hour would cover the time taken to fit!

TBH my pedal went, was ******* down with rain 300 miles away from home & had to get one from audi dealer several miles away & then fit it in the rain which took me a while, feck me that spring was a bitch I tell yer, but did it, bad welding of the metal square plate tbh, I dont neccessarily believe its the MC at fault.

You need to ask why would it snap? apart from the weak welding which you could add three drops yourself, there is a fault in the older cylinder hence why they have a revised version, works on two stages rather than one direct shaft, causing less stress on the pedal. but everyone is entitle to their own views on these sort of questions.

I'll add to what NHN has said...you need some cable ties to compress the spring together (can be done by hand) or you'll not get it back in. It is very awkward but patience and a steady hand will see it fine!

The weld snaps so there's the answer to your Question S3K04. Badly designed structure!

G

You need to ask why would it snap? apart from the weak welding

I think you answered your own question as such, thats clearly the only reason it does snap, the MC isnt exactly that pressured is it, the pedals were just badly welded IMHO

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLY'S. IVE FIXED IT NOW. I WELDED THE BROKEN PIECE BACK ON AND TRUST ME IT WILL NEVER BRAKE EVER AGAIN LOL. I WAS GOING TO BUY ANOTHER ARM BUT THE SAME THING WILL HAPPEN AGAIN SO ITS GOT ENOUGH WELD ON IT TO HANG A FEW TANKS ON IT. WAS A PAIN IN THE **** TO DO BUT MANAGED TO DO IT ALL WITHIN A HOUR SO NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT.

MANY THANKS SIMON

No master cylinder in mine either. Simply crap pedal design for what is a fairly heavy clutch. Mine has been done a long time now with no other parts besides the clutch pedal, bushes and plastic clip

Can you add spot welds to the original arm to prevent this from happening ?

I'm not looking forward to the day mine will inevitably go...

What sort of mileage are people finding there clutch breaks at ??

Yeah certainly mate, will most likely stop it from happening overall, cant recall exactly when mine went, but was fair few miles iirc, maybe 70-80k

Definately going to get my mate to do some extra welds then, save any future hassle.

sorry guys its not a 'bad' design, its actually designed like that, so that in the event of front end collision it brakes the previously mentioned weld, so that the pedal is not rammed into your leg ! and as some one else mentioned, it does get weaker over time ( my a3 tdi had just clocked up 192 000 miles) when this happened, and as also pointed out, it can also be because of the older design master cylinder, in my case it wasnt, and i have not put extra weld on because if were in a collision and as will always happen these days the insurance assesor comes out to see why the pedal broke through my leg,,, i would not have a leg to stand on ! excuse the pun, but believe this if nothing else ive written, insurance will ALWAYS look for any mods youve not reported and bingo their get out clause, be warned

TBH my pedal went, was ******* down with rain 300 miles away from home & had to get one from audi dealer several miles away & then fit it in the rain which took me a while, feck me that spring was a ***** I tell yer, but did it, bad welding of the metal square plate tbh, I dont neccessarily believe its the MC at fault.
I would have just driven home with it broken