g12++ Coolant

luke2702

Reaction score
Hi, changing my thermostat this weekend and just been to stealers for some coolant they have given me G12++ if this is mixed with what is already in there will it jelly up? the coolant in there at the min is a pink colour.

Thanks for your help..

what colour is the G12++? Hopefully the same colour? I've heard you shouldnt mix

whilst changing the coolant, you will lose almost all of it. So you may as well have fresh fluid!

you need to mix it with water!! g12 neat is not needed in this country, you will need two bottles IIRC for the correct mix..... 2 litres of G12 by the Audi 'guide book' then add water to level it

i personally would drain the system, the drain plug is easy to reach and undo with your fingers so you might aswell replace while your at it

its the same colour and it is fine to mix with the existing coolant but mix it with water first as above.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replys just my look only bought one so will have to see how i get on....

yeah tis a pain as they come in 1.5ltr pots :) at least ya'll have some spare, if you only have one id just use that, it will be more than enough id guess

yeah tis a pain as they come in 1.5ltr pots :) at least ya'll have some spare, if you only have one id just use that, it will be more than enough id guess

Do you know how many litres the coolant the system takes i.e when mixed with water.... Cant find any where in service books...

no idea doood, Audi did tell me on the last visit, i just drained mine fully blowing out the excess through the pipes when i chnged my header tank......then put all the G12 and topped up....infact i think it was actually 4 litres, but i have been wrong before ;)

If that 4 litres in total or on top of the coolant? If it 4 litres in total 1.5litres of coolant would be 40% which i am sure will be adequate in this country..

as said, dont take that as gospel...... i just put the recommended 2 litres in n filled with water

as said, dont take that as gospel...... i just put the recommended 2 litres in n filled with water

Pending how much i loose i will put 1.5 litres in and fill with water.... Fingers crossed i dont have to as not planning on losing much...:cool:

I got told that you have a 50/50 mixture of g12 and water. I mixed all mine in a bucket before I done mine.

umm 3 litres in a bucket, 1.5 ltrs of g12 and 1.5 ltrs of water and I had about 500 ml left I think which I chucked in the g12 coolant bottle for top ups.

I cannot remember exactly how much I had left but it didnt use it all.

I only put in 1.5L when I did mine. Drained the system and I think the guide on the back of the bottle fort the G12 had the ratios on it...I seem to remember 1.5l being fine for UK temps :)

All you have to do is drain the old coolant out, stick in two ltrs of G12, start the car up then add water to correct level on res. :happy:

Only got 1.5lt so that will have to do.... If it takes 3 litres that is 50/50 split....

yeah wack it in and top up with water as already said, no point what so ever in mixing it first as your mixture will be weaker with what you have left, plus your water pump will mix it anyway within 5 minutes :)

you need to mix it with water!! g12 neat is not needed in this country, you will need two bottles IIRC for the correct mix..... 2 litres of G12 by the Audi 'guide book' then add water to level it

i personally would drain the system, the drain plug is easy to reach and undo with your fingers so you might aswell replace while your at it

Can you point me in the direction of there the drain plug is? Any special tools required to undo and do up?

Can you point me in the direction of there the drain plug is? Any special tools required to undo and do up?

It's on the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side. Take the undertray off (5xT25 torx screws) and you'll see it pretty easy. My power steering pipes are in the way to undo by hand but you can undo the drain by turning it about 90 degrees anti-clockwise then pulling it towards the back of the car. Coolant will flow out of the pipe just below the drain plug - some standard hose pipe fits well :)