Ok newbie with a couple of Q's...

5teve L

Reaction score
1st off hi everyone, just bought myself a 99 S3 after selling my Evo 5.
Picked it up fairly cheap but it does have a couple of niggles, after reading here over the past day or so I see a couple are pretty common.
Display has dead pixels, I can live with that at the mo.
I'm sure the revs hold up on gear change for a fraction, wasn't sure if that was normal having never owned a VAG/Audi before, seems it may be the clutch switch.
One of my parcel shelf holders is missing from the boot to hold the string, ashtray won't close & the glove box sometimes falls off one side when you open it, lol, so as you see it's not a minter, but for the milage, price I paid & age it's ok IMO.

I also seem to have a bit of oil around the turbo that burns slightly when it's hot (I can see the compressor is oily looking), is there usually something in that area that could leak oil or is the turbo likely to be on it's way out ??

Overall the car is lovely to drive & puts a smile on my face when I drive it, coming from a 320bhp Evo I didn't think I'd find a car which was as much fun to drive, pleased to say the S3 is holding it's own at the moment & I get much better MPG, cheaper insurance & I can drive around the country without worrying if the next garage has super :cool:

Just bought some new discs & braided brake lines & will prob do the front & rear ARB bushes.... on the subject of brakes, does anyone know if you can get DS2500 pads for the standard S3 brakes ?

Cheers
Steve

Yes you can get DS2500 pads for the S3. Even found rear ones last night on eBay.

Cool, I'll take a look.
Also seems I need some headlight bulbs as I noticed last night mine don't work

Which ones pal? Side lights are 501 wedge bulbs, the Xenons are DS2 bulbs (don't go to the stealers, Autobulbsdirect or other good online stockists).

Ok, not knowing much about xenon headlights.. the bulbs that would normally be the main & dip in a normal headlight, are they supposed to light up with the projector type ones, as they weren't, the projector ones were but I couldn't see squat ! full beam is ok..
Steve

So you can flash people, but not just have your lights on normally?

Sounds like the Xenon bulb has gone fella. We have three bulbs. Side lights (first turn) are 501, dipped beam (Xenon, second turn) are DS2 and main beam (flash with the stalk) are H7 (I think!).

Ok, all those work so I'm guessing my headlights need aligning & must be really low as the beam pattern is only about 6ft in front of me...... the fogs give out more light, lol...

Lol, in that case, yes most likely. It is then a case of VAG COM (the software for checking VW/Audi cars).