Bridgestone Potenza RE050A factory fit

Sem

Reaction score
Hello chaps

I believe many of the new A3's and S3's are coming factory fitted with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tyres?

I've been offered a pair at a good price, just wondering how many miles you guys are getting out of them?

Would get a pair of Goodyear F1 Assymetrics to match whats currently on the front but they have been on back order since April and i'm getting desperate now!

Cheers.

Hello chaps

I believe many of the new A3's and S3's are coming factory fitted with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tyres?

I've been offered a pair at a good price, just wondering how many miles you guys are getting out of them?

Would get a pair of Goodyear F1 Assymetrics to match whats currently on the front but they have been on back order since April and i'm getting desperate now!

Cheers.

Had the RE050's in 205-40-18 size on my last car ( MINI JCW ) and thought they were great when new. Once down to 5mm tread depth they were lethal in standing water. I couldn't do more than 60mph on a soaking dual carriageway. Felt like track day tyres, not good.

I managed 22,000 miles out of mine before all 4 needed changing.

However, as Japper says, although quite good in the dry, once half worn, they were hopeless in the wet.

As Japper has already said...these things are awful.

Worst so-called "performance" tyre I've ever used.

No wet grip,no progression and the things just don't wear out quick enough to get rid of them easily.

I had the Bridgestone RE050As on my Honda S2000 and they were shocking, the car naturally stepped out at the back but with these on any sign of dampness and it was like being on ice. I have the Conti Sport 3 on mine and really rate them.

what would people recommend istead of Bridgestone Potenza then as i will ned new tyres shorty and have to say these are ok in the dry aint really given it to much abuse in the wet

what would people recommend istead of Bridgestone Potenza then as i will ned new tyres shorty and have to say these are ok in the dry aint really given it to much abuse in the wet

Well i'm running the eagle F1 Assy's in 225-35-19 fitment at moment and so far they are very impressive.

Goodyear F1 Assymetrics at the moment and will be replaced by Michelin PS3s when these are worn out....which won't be long.

F1 wear is pretty noticeable.

I also had the Bridgestones from new (until 23k) and had a similar experience to the others. F1s now and they're top notch.

Have you tried a few places?

I'll agree, have had the Potenzas on my S3 from new, and i've been far from impressed with them if i'm honest, don't get me wrong there are far worse out there if you buy cheap, but I was much more impressed with the Goodyear F1s (on previous 4WD cars) and Michelin Pilots (RWD cars) comparing them to similar priced tyres.

I will be changing to the Goodyears as soon as my tread is worn enough to warrant it (which wont be long by the looks of it!)

Would be interested to hear people preferences to F1s as I need to replace 2 of my F1s and have also heard of a supply problem.

cheers
Paul

I am running Michelin Pilot Exalto's on my S-Line and so far very impressed. The car had Pirelli Pzero Rosso's on before that and although they wear well they were noisey and made the ride even harder.

I had Bridgestone RE50's on a BMW a few years back and I found them ok. They were run flats though so don't know if that made a difference.

i have them on my s3 wheels, tbh i dont rate them highly, they wear far too easily imho and like mentioned they do not enjoy water

I've got Michelin Exaltos on my S3, good grip in all conditions with good wear. A bit expensive though.

Cheers fellas, I managed to get hold of some Goodyear Eagle F1 Assys on ebay, I paid £123 per tyre which isn't the best price but it was the only supplier in the UK that had them in stock in my required size.