Suspension (Arrr)

Swornd

Reaction score
So I have been basically trying to sort out my suspension on my A3 for around 6 months but I am terirble at committing to any ideas.

Had a quote from a garage today for what they reccomend and they came back with Bilstein B4 shocks and Apex 35mm lowering springs for about £450+ vat + labour. After seeing the price though he said he would quote me for something else (maybe coilovers) tomorrow as he thinks that was too much.

I am not looking for a hard as rock ride but I do want it to be fun without being unpleasent. Had a look around on here and you all seem to have varying choices on suspension which doesn't help my decision at all!

I do very little driving in this car that isn't just for fun apart from the occasional trip to nearby citys. So what would you guys reccomend? Coilovers or not? And any brands to go for?

i wouldnt recommend going for standard dampers (ie the B4s) with uprated springs.

where abouts are you based? someone local may have different suspensiony ou can try.

sounds like you want to keep the car civilised, so id say you want a spring and damper kit

B8 shocks by Bilstein are meant for lowered springs, try those, not cheap though at around £550 a set.

G

i wouldnt recommend going for standard dampers (ie the B4s) with uprated springs.

where abouts are you based? someone local may have different suspensiony ou can try.

sounds like you want to keep the car civilised, so id say you want a spring and damper kit

Ah right well here is where my lack of knowledge comes to play! I am located near Hereford, well not too far from either Gloucester or Herefordshire. That garage is just next to work which makes it very convenient. I am sure they are happy to order in other parts if I ask or even buy them myself but I am happy to shop around at other garages too.

What is the problem with standard dampers on uprated springs? Also he did say the B4 were the "Sport" B4's if that makes any difference.

And I want the car fairly civilised but if losing a bit of that for a much better ride then I am all for it.

B8 shocks by Bilstein are meant for lowered springs, try those, not cheap though at around £550 a set.

G

Ah right, cheers for that although that may be pushing towards a bit more than I want to spend (always the case tho)

a friend of mine had those on his mk4 (basically same car as you) and he was really pleased with them. they are koni afterall so a very reputable brand. i think his were cheaper though, ie under £300

im still gonna keep waving my gmax banner. theyre the only budget suspension setup ive had experience of that were punching well above their price band

im still gonna keep waving my gmax banner. theyre the only budget suspension setup ive had experience of that were punching well above their price band

Agreed, I've had a GMax full kit in the past on a couple of cars and they were great.