Squeeze more power cheaply ???

chrisn900

Reaction score
I've an 06 plate 2.0 tdi sportback 140bhp
I've seen numerous 'wonder' gadgets on the internet promising more power, torque, mpg etc etc.
My question, is there anything available that will give me any noticeable increase in power and torque for say....less than £150 ??
Im not interested in the resister things that connect to the MAF and fool the fuel system into injecting more fuel as they are a waste of money.
I'm just curious as to whether or not anything is available to give 'Alfred' a bit of a power boost.

Thanks for any tips and advice.
icon7.gif

bad jokes aside... you could try things like a performance air filter, using V-Power diesel and thorough service... including changing all the filters etc.

£150 would cover that... not sure how much difference you would notice to be honest but its all worthwhile. really you should look at a decent remap but that will cost you anywhere from 250-400 ;(

i would stay away from tuning boxes as a rule, ive used them and not been impressed and never liked the idea of something altering info thats going to the ECU.

simply put ... the 'map' is a file held on the ECU (Engine control unit) which tells the engine how to behave. (i.e. injection timing, turbo boost level, fuel mix etc etc) and in turn this gives you a final BHP (break horsepower figure) and torque measurement.

With a remap (which is an update to the file on your ECU) You should go from your stock 140bhp to around 185 (ish) bhp. You will also see a considerable torque gain, giving you more traction throughout the rev range. Essentially you'll notice this as better power delivery + acceleration. Any 'flat spots' should also be ironed out.

Many people experience slightly better fuel economy figures too, I certainly have.

Hope this helps and anyone who thinks it can be explained better please jump in !! I'm certainly no expert and there are guys on there that are ;)