Where's best to get a CV boot for the S3?

audi dealer dear sir.

just looked on gsf, but they only sell the inner cv joint kit, not the boot on its own. Not sure whats involved in changing the inner

I am fortunate enough to have a GSF trade counter down the road from where I work and they do sell inners as a couple were recently bought for the Mk2 Golf being GT30'd at badger 5... you would be surprised how little difference there is in the mechanicals of VAG car over the ages lol...

Is there not a trade counter near where you live? they have a handy postcode search to find the nearest one to you... certainly cheaper than a dealer and most of the parts roll out the same factory as VAG ones do only saving you the cost of having 4 rings printed on them...

<tuffty/>

Cheers Paul. Nearest one is 15 miles away. I'll see how much more the dealer wants for the part. Is it an easy job to do?

as far as I know you will need to undo the 3 bolts under the hub, and the big one that holds the shaft on the hub, then undo the 6 bolts on the diff side. remove everything job done. I would say it would take me around 2 hours. as I am a bit slow with the spaner! mine needs doing as it has a split about 3" not good at all.

...Is it an easy job to do?

lol, that is of course subjective :)

I have done one with the driveshaft in situ but its muuuuuuuuch easier off the car as the clip on the back of the CV is a bit a a git...

In-situ... Unbolt the star drive (8mm or 10mm I think, can't remember) bolts holding the joint to the gearbox drive flange... there is a 'circlip' on the end of the shafy that normal circlip pliers don't work on so remove that :)

Gently tap the joint off being very careful to hold the joint at 90 degrees to the drive shaft, it will extend back while tapping but as long as its straight it won't fall apart... the minute you have a slight angle on the joint the balls will drop (fnarr) out and you joint will fall apart... it can be rebuilt with a bit of patience (having done this myself!) but its a royal PITA so best avoid :)

Once the joint is off there is a dished washer that must go back on dish facing away from the joint otherwise you will not be able to get the circlip back on....

Slide off old gaiter, and refit the reverse... fit new cork gasket gaiter side of the joint (its recessed), add grease etc, tap joint back on, refit clip, bolt back on drive flange

Easier with the whole drive shaft removed but can be done in situ :)

<tuffty/>

just go to Audi

GSF tried twice to get the right one for me anf tbh Audis are good value for money, full boot kit £28 ish (that was a outer one with new bolt, grease clips etc )