2001 1.8t Stalling issue

daryl4130

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought a 2001 1.8t. Love the car but been having a problem with it. The problem was there for a while but then seemed to go for a couple of weeks but it's now back.

Basically when i'm driving along and go to stop, when i ditch the clutch the revs drop down to about 500 and it sometimes doesn't even manage to stop the revs and the engine stalls. If they are caught or i catch them myself it then idles between about 700 - 900.

I've had a new clutch switch, and all the cam belt done and the timing checked

I've read a couple of posts about this but not entirely sure where to start. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks

Hi, like i said in the other post, my mechanic knew exactly what the problem was on my old VW polo, he cleaned the Throotle body housing and off it went never bothered me again, and i was getting the EXACT same problem, so i would do that before you do anything else.. hope this helps.. use carb cleaner on it..

Ideally VAG COM it first - this may throw up some errors that will point you in the right direction. The main ones are Engine Speed Sensor, Crank Sensor, Camshaft Adjustment Valve Sensor - these cauase the car to stall/die. Failing that you have a load of things you can check TB, Starter Motor, etc

..also check for split vac pipes and PCV system pipes... checking block 032 (before resetting fault codes) will show up if the short term fuel trim is compensating for a vac leak... anything +10% and above would indicate a leak somewhere..

Most of the problem pipes are around or under the inlet manifold..

<tuffty/>

id try the throttle body clean also. i had a similar problem not to that extent but it might not have been as filthy. it really made a big diff for lets say 2mm of dirt cleaned. crazy but true. only takes 10 mins to disconnect it and clean

Big delay but thanks for all your help. Given the TB a full cleaning and already running loads better. I have a big split in the breather pipe which i should be fitting this weekend. VAG Com bought up a couple of small issues but nothing serious. Still running ok

Are you going to get a genuine replacement pipe or an aftermarket job? Only thing I would mention is to thoroughly check the surrounding pipes as I had to replace some of mine shortly after the first split, and it may be cheaper to go all out and by them all together. I have a feeling forge do a kit...

Hey!

I've got EXACTLY the same issue on the same age of same engined car! How's it working out for you- any fixes?

JimP