A3 2.0 TDI Jerking and cutting out? Any Ideas?

Lip1989

Reaction score
Hi, not sure if this is a common problem as I have been searching for a couple of days on numerous websites and forums. I have found problems that sound similar but not identical. Really needing some help on it.

I'm new to this Forum thing but ill try and cover all the bases.

I have an 07' A3 2.0TDI (170) S-line that has done around 108000 miles. It has a FSH. I have owned it a year and a bit and love the car.

On Tuesday, while driving home from work and nearing the end of my journey (only a short ride home, around 5 miles) the car suddenly lost power. When attempting to apply the accelerator the revs violently jerk up and down, no warning lights on the dashboard or notification of any problems. Eventually, when trying to pull the car somewhere safe to stop, the car cut out.

Having pushed the car into a safe place I tried the ignition. The car fired up perfectly (as it usually does) and ran fine.

Slightly worried, I took the car to our usual garage for diagnostics, no codes showed up! They suggested it may have just been a blip on the ECU!

I mentioned that I had been having constant trouble with the DPF clogging causing the car to run a little sluggish, sometimes be quite jerky and drink fuel, something I had always been intending to have sorted with a DPF delete and remap. I decided to go ahead with this (I know that this shouldn't be done but financial situation means I cannot afford to sit and wait for a big replacement bill, and I love this car and do not feel like parting with it just yet.)

What a result, picked up the car and it was transformed, much smoother, wasn't drinking fuel, didn't feel jerky, pulled like mad. I thought the problem may be cured. Wrong. Yesterday while driving home from a friends, about 1.5 miles into journey, loss of power and violent jerking when pressing accelerator. I pulled over, turned car off and back on. Ran good as new again!

I'm baffled. Having trawled the internet everything from turbo, injectors, maf sensor, glow plugs, fuel pump, oil pump, contaminated fuel, turbo veins etc have been mentioned but none of the problems sound identical.

Has anyone had similar issues, and if so, how have you fixed them? I only own the 1 car so really need to get this sorted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, cheers for the quick reply.

I had requested that the EGR valve was disabled at the same time as dpf was deleted. This was under advice that it would limit the possible black smoke from exhaust. (Just to be clear it wasn't smoking before. Just me being paranoid that it might after remap.)

Would this still cause a problem if disabled but dirty / blocked? Just seems weird that it is not a constant problem.

Last edited:
if its a 170 have the injectors been done on the recall ?

How would I check if it had been in for the recall? If it hadn't would it still be eligible for it now? It is the 170.