A3 8P interior lights won't turn off even in "OFF" position

Falcon

Reaction score
My interior (dome) lights won't turn off, not even in the "OFF" position. The only way to turn them off is to either physically remove the bulbs or the fuse. A3 8P 3-door, 2004.

Recently changed the headliner from light to black and after putting everything back I noticed that interior lights won't shut off. All of the wiring stayed the same, I only changed the components. Thought maybe the On/off switch is broken, so I put back my old part in - nothing changed, lights still permanently on.
VCDS does not show any errors but interestingly when doing the interior lights test, the CE (central electronics) module is able to turn the lights off and then on again, meaning the physical part (contacts, wiring, relay) should be fine.

Can't seem to find any wiring diagrams for interior lights, except some mentions that it's the CE module that controls them. Suspected a faulty CE module, changed it to another one, same story. When I tested the on/off switch with a multimeter, I noticed that it doesn't simply cut or allow the current flow at the switch, but instead is used to inform the controlling module of the position it is in and the real turning on and off happens in the controlling module. Maybe CE isn't the only module responsible for interior lights? Could for example the comfort module be involved in any way?

I am at a loss with no clues as to what to test or do next. Does anyone have any ideas what might be responsible for my permanently lit A3 interior?

Doors opening of course signals the lights, so comfort probably signals the CE to turn on, do a battery disconnect for 10 mins & check again.

The battery was disconnected for around 30mins when I was changing the CE module so I guess that quick fix is out the window. Will try changing the comfort module next as soon as I can get my hands on a spare one.

could it be down to broken or damaged wiring in the drivers door loom . i had all sorts of problems with my interior lights and central locking.
all down to damaged wires in the rubber boot between door and bodywork . might be worth having a look.

eddo

could it be down to broken or damaged wiring in the drivers door loom . i had all sorts of problems with my interior lights and central locking.
all down to damaged wires in the rubber boot between door and bodywork . might be worth having a look.

eddo

That could be a likely cause if lights would always stay on in the "auto" switch position. But when the switch is in the "off" position, it should disregard all other reasons for turning the lights on. So either the controller is faulty (just no idea which) and is permanently sending 12v or there is a problem with wires, but then if wires were the cause then I guess the CE interior light test wouldn't pass and wouldn't be able to turn off interior lights during the test.

eddo

Cluster would show open door, if door wiring was hindered in such a way

Small update. Replaced the comfort module, no change. Does anyone know if the rear cabin lights are directly connected to front lights? They stay lit too. Since I ruled out ECM and CCM then it's likely some kind of a problem with wiring and will require disassembling the whole headliner again.