A4 Avant B8 Towbar electrics

hitachizx

Reaction score
Hi all I am new to this site having returned to Audi ownership after owning a totally unreliable Range Rover L322 for a couple of years. I have recently purchased a late 2008 A4 2.0 tdi SE Avant. I purchased a used Westfalia towbar along with plug and play electrics from fleebay and today tried to fit. The Towbar went on fine but when it came to the electrics I am stumped. My question is do all A4s come with the tow electrics pre wired for plug and play or am I unlucky enough to have a car without it. I know I will have to take the car to Audi so than can tell the car that it has a tow bar fitted but I am stumped on finding the plug. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I think it was only S-Line that is pre wired with the 'red plug' in the boot.

Did you get the electrics from PF Jones?

You don't necessarily have to take it to Audi, if you find someone with VCDS that can do the coding for you - I did my own. There is a thread in here with lots of info.

The electrics came with the tow bar which is a used one, the guy took it of a 2009. I have just read on the net somewhere that Audi didn't start putting pre wiring in until the 2009 year model. Typical I was hoping to have the functionality that comes with an a pre wired kit. I defiantly don't have a red socket in my boot.

If you are a bit handy with electrics you could build the loom to effectively give you tow prep. I assume the kit you have has come with a trailer controller.

Yes it has the trailer controller, I will take a look in the morning. I am assuming I will remove the multi plug from the loom I had I put the wires in as per the instructions on the wiring instructions. Thanks for your help.

If you were pre wired you would have had the fabled red plug to plug into the trailer control unit and if you had parking sensors you would put a couple of wires into that too as well as fixing a ground to the chassis.

Some background info -

The Red 12 pin connector carries the assignment T12d

T12d/1 - Possibly Not Used
T12d/2 - 1.00 Black - Terminal 15 Positive in Man Wiring Harness (Derived from Fuse 12 in Fuse Holder F)
T12d/3 - 0.35 Red/Black - T17e/11 (6-pin coupling station of A-pillar driver side) Brake Light Switch
T12d/4 - Possibly Not Used
T12d/5 - Possibly Not Used
T12d/6 - Possibly Not Used
T12d/7 - 0.35 Orange/Green - T17f/13 (6-pin coupling station of A-pillar driver side) - CAN Hi
T12d/8 - 0.35 Orange/Brown - T17f/14 (6-pin coupling station of A-pillar driver side) - CAN Lo
T12d/9 - 2.50 Red/Brown - Fuse 2 in Fuse Holder F
T12d/10 - 0.50 Brown - Ground
T12d/11 - 1.50 Red/Green - Fuse 4 in Fuse Holder F
T12d/12 - 1.50 Red/Grey - Fuse 3 in Fuse Holder F

Hi All
I've got a S Line 2010 Avant & want to add a tow bar.
I don't want to use the dedication loom, just crimp in the boot. Does anyone know the colours for the Audi lights indicators etc.? I know the colours for the 12N, it's just the Audi colours....
Hopefully someone will be able to help.... PF Jones don't support this enquiry
Thanks
Dave

This was my 2010 SE, not sure if S-line will be different.

My 2013 Sline is different on some wires, use a pin and test lamp!

Left indicator Black/Blue

Right Indicator Grey/White

Brake Black/Green

Fog Light Grey/White from roof

Reverse White/Black

Earth To screw with others

side light wires from the smart relay may not need to be connected depending on if the relay you are using

you'll need to run a wire from the n/s indicator across to the o/s as this is where all the wiring is done

Hi all I am new to this site having returned to Audi ownership after owning a totally unreliable Range Rover L322 for a couple of years. I have recently purchased a late 2008 A4 2.0 tdi SE Avant. I purchased a used Westfalia towbar along with plug and play electrics from fleebay and today tried to fit. The Towbar went on fine but when it came to the electrics I am stumped. My question is do all A4s come with the tow electrics pre wired for plug and play or am I unlucky enough to have a car without it. I know I will have to take the car to Audi so than can tell the car that it has a tow bar fitted but I am stumped on finding the plug. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi, Did you eventually get sorted? Like you I bought a towbar and Westfalia dedicated electrics from FleeBay. This is my problem.

Really need help with this.

I bought a tow bar and Westfalia dedicated electrics for my 2015 Audi A4 Avant S-Line B8 (Definitely 2015 model not B9 2016 model). Tow bar was an absolute dodle to fit. Took about an 90 minutes to fit.

The dedicated electrics are another story. The destructions say.

Installation Instructions

Remove the rear cover on the black fuse box (fig. 1/5) and open the purple catch. Insert the following wires in the respective fuse chambers: -

Red wire into chamber 2 A.

Red/blue wire into chamber 3 A.

Red/black wire into chamber 4 A.

Problem is that the car doesn’t appear to have the fuses labelled A (See photo below) The other fuses shown on the diagram below can be seen, so where do Red, Red/Blue and Red/Black wires connect?

Perhaps chamber 2,3 and 4 refer to the fuses in position B (See photo).

21. Close the purple catch on the fuse box and replace the black cover.

22. Insert 15 A fuse provided into fuse position 2.

23. Insert the 20 A fuses provided into fuse positions 3 and 4.

clip_image002.jpg

Only for A4 Avant: Unclip the red fuse carrier (Fig. 1/6) from the bracket and detach the black cover. Open the violet locking mechanism by sliding it

Problem 2,- I don’t have a Red fuse carrier

28. Lift off the violet frame and remove the 15 A fuse from fuse position 8.

29. Release the black/red cable from the fused side of the fuse chamber 8 A and insert it into the 1-pin housing on the cable set.

30. Insert the black/red conductor (within the 12-conductor cable set) into the fused side of the fuse chamber 8 A.

31. Now close up the open 1-pin housing.

32. Close the violet locking mechanism on the fuse carrier, press on the black cover and clip the fuse carrier back into the bracket.

33. Re-insert the 15 A fuse into fuse position 8 and snap the violet frame back into place.

Upload 2016 3 14 18 0 15

IMG 0266

Attachments

• IMG_0266.JPG
    IMG_0266.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 448
Dont bother with any of that, chop the feed cable off the towbar connector in the boot, fit the trailer fuse in the fuse box and you have fused power.