Airbag Replacement on S3 from 2002

spiker

trying to growl less these days
Reaction score
Just bought my 4th S3 8L so thought I best log back into the Forums and say hello

Its been nearly 10 years since I was last active on here - how time flies ;) - its been fun reading my old posts reminding myself of the money I spent on the last one

My new one is has 30K on the clock - 1 owner

Does anyone have any advice regarding air-bag refurb or replacement ?

Is it necessary ?

Welcome back! We talking steering wheel airbag? Passenger airbag? Plenty of 2nd hand steering wheels around to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow 30k! That’s amazing. Yeah, many parts aren’t available new anymore, particularly interior parts and trims etc. It’s quite annoying to be honest but there’s a lot of used parts on eBay. If the airbag ain’t broke, I’d leave it alone personally.

Welcome back to the mad house! Post pics when you can :)

Reactions: spiker
Welcome back mate.
I'm near sure the manual says to replace the airbags after 15 years. If audi don't sell them no more then only option would be 2nd hand ones but replacing them with 2nd hand ones surely they would just go out of date aswell.

You know where this is heading..... someone is going to be buying an A5 steering wheel and A3 8V air bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: spiker
Thanks for the replies

I just spoke my local stealer and after a lengthly consultation with the workshop their advice was also to disregard the recommendation to replace after X number of years according to the manual

So leave it alone seems to be the consensus which initally seems a good plan of action , but and its a big but if the things fails due to age then you may not know until its activated which is not ideal in the event of an accident

I wonder what Vagcom would throw up if there was a fault - or what the DIS would say if anything ?

Any thoughts ?

And Yep - I could you buy a new steering wheel with a newer airbag which I may consider but would like to keep the car as original as possible

Well, if the car detects a fault in the airbag system it *should* put the airbag light on, meaning there is a fault in the system and the bag won’t deploy. Apart from that, there isn’t really anything you can do I don’t think. We also have an oil pressure warning light, but who actually checks that the light will come on if the pressure drops? Let’s hope you don’t need your airbags anyway, and you have plenty of years left to enjoy your new car :)

""You know where this is heading..... someone is going to be buying an A5 steering wheel and A3 8V air bag""

Yep - just found that thread too

Will try harder to be less predictable with the next post :salute:

Reactions: S3AMJ