Aircon advice needed

Gaz78

Reaction score
I've had a code showing a fault with the G65 high pressure sensor (pic shows the code), stating "open or short to ground". Now I'm not sure what this means?

I've just fitted a new sensor but still have this code showing. I'm not overly clued up on electrics, but have run a very basic voltmeter (traffic light type - red low voltage, green 14v, etc) on the wires and it shows around 14v on the plug going to the sensor, so it seems the correct current is going to it.

So couple of questions:
1) Would the code be showing if I need a simple re-gas?

2) does the "Date" on the fault code showing on vcds mean anything, as it's saying 29th May 2018? (I cleared the code but it immediately comes back)

3) what's the chance of buying a duff new sensor? I paid £30 for it via eBay, it came from a UK seller who says it's a GENUINE audi part and has great feedback.

20190704 201056 1024x1365

Any help appreciated guys

Gaz

Ok update to this......I reinstalled new g65/pressure sensor, cleared codes and it's stayed clear. So no g65 code showing :icon thumright:

However theres no other codes related to hvac/aircon but my flipin ECON button won't go out!!......where to go next????

Am i right in thinking if the gas is low then there would be a code?

Only code that's showing is this one below but I don't think it's related.
PhotoPictureResizer 190704 215222896 1024x1365

Gaz

Those codes show if you have an aftermarket stereo.

Econ light staying on can indicate it needs a re-gas. Not too sure if vcds can pick this up.

Ah right, thanks for that Abmat. I did wonder if it was anything to do with my aftermarket head unit .

On a positive........MY AIRCON WORKS AGAIN:rockwoot:.

Turns out it was low on gas so needed changing. And the ECON lights off.

The only thing i would say is whilst its cold and clearly working, it's not as cold as previous cars I've had with aircon. Now where its been regassed (happens to be a friend of mine), he said it was running at 7c but should keep dropping as I use the car, plus it's not been running for at least a year, but should improve?! Anyway my car is cold again, albeit not Arctic cold like I was expecting :laughing:

Good news.

Keep an eye on it. If it’s not been run in a year there is the potential some seals may have dried out.

Running it occasionally lubricates them to prevent this.

G65 should pick up there’s not enough gas in the system but in reality they rarely do. The eco light on all the time does indicate that there’s not enough gas in there to run the system. Also you’re lucky in the past I’ve changed hundreds of these sensors and 9 times out of 10 either the centre pin corrodes and the gas comes out at a rate of knots when you unplug it. Or the gas comes out when you undo the sensor. It should be fine after a regas though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar thing. My econ light wouldn’t go out in cold weather but then would in hot weather. People came up with ideas about how it’s normal because why would you want the a/c on in the cold... my A4 will let me put the a/c on whenever I want. Anyway turned out to be that sensor. The one down the front near the compressor facing up.

I might have had a similar fault about a G65 sensor too