Australian spec car imported to UK, some quirks

pagenotfound

Reaction score
Hi, hoping the collective wisdom here can provide some help on some quirks I have found with my Australian sourced Audi A4 having just got it on the road here in the UK.

I was hoping to get my sat-nav updated with UK maps, is there a way of getting maps loaded for a different region from the originals? Happy to pay at a dealership but it will likely need Audi UK to cooperate. I've asked at a dealer and they said it wasn't possible as a software update due to different hardware which I find hard to believe. According to my service book, my sat-nav system is listed as 7UG. Is this the same code as UK spec cars with the MMI Navigation Plus system?

I've also just tried setting the time which was previously being automatically updated and still showing Australian time. I can change the timezone to the UK but have no option to change the daylight saving so if I set the time to automatic it goes forward an hour. I presume that it is setting for Southern Hemisphere spring. Are there any VCDS or suchlike updates that can be performed to change this to Northern Hemisphere?

Then I would have thought you will be able to download the european maps if audi connect recognises you're in the uk. Unfortunately it's not been tried here so all pretty much guess work. You might have to set up a new audi connect account in the uk version of myaudi myaudi https://login.audi.com however it may locate the car's vin number as being down under....

Yeah, the myaudi stuff goes off VIN and knows which market the car was sold in. I've no doubt that in order to get maps working I need a dealer or Audi UK to update my location but when I first asked I was told it wouldn't work due to hardware differences. It's that part that I don't believe so wondered what the option code was for UK cars with MMI Navigation Plus. I'm assuming that if it is 7UG then the hardware will be identical.

Yeah, the myaudi stuff goes off VIN and knows which market the car was sold in. I've no doubt that in order to get maps working I need a dealer or Audi UK to update my location but when I first asked I was told it wouldn't work due to hardware differences. It's that part that I don't believe so wondered what the option code was for UK cars with MMI Navigation Plus. I'm assuming that if it is 7UG then the hardware will be identical.
In the brochure I have the code for the MMI Navigation Plus with MMI Touch as being WB4...

In my experience those 3-character codes just indicate a generic component, so will not indicate any detail such as regional differences. I believe the HW you are referring to is the control unit for information electronics. For reference my car was ordered with tech pack WB6 and my unit is 8R2 035 670 J.

Thanks Dippy, where do you get the unit reference number from? I've visited a dealer this morning who advised me to contact Audi UK so I called them this afternoon and they put me on hold for a while and came back and said that the head unit is region locked so would not be able to load UK maps. It doesn't look promising unless there are any VCDS modifications that can unlock it. Otherwise I'll just have to use Android Auto. Shame as it doesn't give me any navigation info on the HUD or in VC.

MMI only shows the database p/n, not the HW p/n.