Blown Turbo Advice

Adam Evans

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a A3 2015 2,0 TDI and I think the Turbo has just gone.

I was driving normally came to an roundabout and the car jolted and I lost all power passed about 2k revs and had this horrible noise and cant get passed 3k revs.

Any sugesstions before I take it to a garage to have it looked at?.

If it does need a replacement turbo, are they any upgrades for the model of just get like for like?

Looks like it is the turbo gone, any recommended where to get a new standard turbo? ebay seem to want between 250 - 300.

Thanks Ill check darkside out

Looks like it is the turbo gone, any recommended where to get a new standard turbo? ebay seem to want between 250 - 300.

Thanks Ill check darkside out

Check ECP though they might not stick one for the EU yet. If you’re buying from Ebay, make sure it’s from respectable manufacturer. The OE supplier is Garretts. Alternatively look for one from a low mileage salvage vehicle. The savings you can make are decent, for a product that’s virtually new. Of course they normally only have a 3 month warranty, so depends on on your appetite for risk.

Hi,

I have a A3 2015 2,0 TDI and I think the Turbo has just gone.
If the turbocharger is kaput, your choices aren't limited to an extremely expensive replacement over the dealership counter or one from ECP which will be almost as much.

Unless they've got a whizzo 60% off deal on of course, which reduces the price to only a lot more than you'd pay at a proper car parts place that doesn't sell paddling pools and cheap toys as a sideline.

And neither do you have to get one from a scrapyard guarded by a muddy alsatian on a chain.

There are several places who do exchange units, including Midland Turbo. They take your old unit in part exchange for a remanufactured one with a two year unlimited mileage warranty.

I've used them before to replace an allroad turbo which shuffled off its mortal coil, and the service was impeccable.

Might be worth giving them a bell.

If I recall, if you get an uprated turbo it needs a remap to go with it. I don't think you can just bolt on a more efficient turbo and it just work like you could with turbo cars of old (provided the fueling requirements on full boost didn't then exceed the fueling capacity). If you go down the upgrade route then make sure you investigate this beforehand.