blue speedo and rev counter

fuddyboi

Reaction score
have searched and not found an answer though pretty sure there used to be threads on the web about this,

anyways ive just a normal A3 and im after the look i had in my bora which was a blue outer ring on the dials where these or at least in mine are white, i need to look into the display as have the loose connection so figure i may as well look into the lighting, is it a case of swapping some bulbs or will i need a facia possibly from a bora or golf?

thanks

depending how much of a rush your in, im planning on fitting some bora sport clocks to my a3. just need to figure out the wiring, and then rehouse the internals in the a3 unit with the vw one.

i know they are electrically compatible with seats but seat is not with audi.

wow that was quick, yeah i read golf or bora clocks can be installed you just need them coding in but not really that into it to spend all the monies ha ha

not in a rush though so will be interested how you get them working

thanks

IF you can get VW clocks to physically fit, you will most likely need to read the EPROM on your old clocks and dump the code onto the new one.

There are no 'bulbs' in the clocks, they are surface mount LEDs. The foils themselves are clear, so putting VW face foils in your A3 will result in the same white illumination.

The easiest way to achieve what you are after is to buy a small sheet of coloured filter gel (used in stage lighting) and fit it beneath your foils. Obviously cutting the centres out or all your warning lights will be blue!

jim im actually talking about putting the bora sport clocks in complete, but just rehousing the internal parts as they are different shapes to the a3.

im not sure writing the audi eeprom to the bora clocks will make them work, but i can edit eeproms ok if it really needs it. Can you expand on this though if you feel thats the case? I havent even picked up any wiring diagrams, but im sure it needs physicly re wiring to work.

Seems a lot of hassle when you can change the LEDs.

I've converted a set of 8L from red to white including the needles.

I'm in talks with T8ups at the moment to offer LED colour changes.

Any colour he can offer on to almost any unit at the moment.
I've done Stereos, clocks and led footwell lights.

I'll find some pics and post them up.

so i could just change the LEDs instead then? sounds easier, is it? or is that why your in talks about these things

thanks

so i could just change the LEDs instead then? sounds easier, is it? or is that why your in talks about these things

thanks

Its easy depending on your soldering skill I guess.

I can't find the pics of the clock I did but here's a stereo.

before

Half way done.

I never complete the stereo cause it was was just a test.

Here's a window switch I've done as well.

Fuddyboi, Here's a set of clocks I've just finished.
Went from a dead DIS and red leds to working DIS and white LEDs.

1173812_10151514144341571_1322730158_n.jpg

Reactions: Welly, Jhcx and Spatula
Quality work scotty.

Can you get LEDs that can change colour? It would be great to be able to change from the red to white, or blue at the flick of a switch. Or how about when you press the ESP button to turn it off the dash changes colour to another colour.

Reactions: JUS3IN, Welly, Vex182 and 1 other person
Quality work scotty.

Can you get LEDs that can change colour? It would be great to be able to change from the red to white, or blue at the flick of a switch. Or how about when you press the ESP button to turn it off the dash changes colour to another colour.

Dual colour LEDs you can get but I'm not sure how you would mount them to the clocks.
I've done something like that for BMWs in the past but nothing for Audi.

I have seen something done to Audis before but only the end result.

I'm not sure how to do Audi.
Dual colour LED mounted on the board, cables going to the back plugged in to a custom board with relay in place............hmmmmmmm

How about...... The rev needle changing colour at certain revs to tell you to change. With a bit of coding I think some pretty cool stuff could be done. Keep up the good work mate.

Reactions: Dani_B19 and Lavis89
Wow impressive work there, wish I knew of you when my old DIS went down.

Jesus that look sweet, is it hard to do? how big and what type of LEDs are in them ? ; )

Ah right , wouldn't like to tackle a set of dash clocks but could always have a go at a window switch; ) brown to blue and blew to bits yeah ha ha

thats really impressive! looks like i may be getting some blue light film and trying that, unless the foils in bora/golfs are the same as the A3 then i could just get a set and swap what i need no?

thats really impressive! looks like i may be getting some blue light film and trying that, unless the foils in bora/golfs are the same as the A3 then i could just get a set and swap what i need no?

No idea is the Bora/Golf clocks will fit a A3 but the light film wont work.
The LEDs are red.
You need to change them to white.

How about...... The rev needle changing colour at certain revs to tell you to change. With a bit of coding I think some pretty cool stuff could be done. Keep up the good work mate.

I like this lots. On the E46 M3 you could have the coding tweaked (only SMG models) so that the 'warm up lights' lit up as you came round the rev counter, or to all come on as a change light. Bummer I had a manual lol.

Something similar on dem dere Audis would be awesome :)

Reactions: ScottD3