Bus hit me

DieselJake

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Came around a corner and didn't notice a bus coming, managed to get right around the corner but then the bus hit the back of my car (due to crap bus brakes or the driver not using them enough) broke the rear light cluster and a bit of bumper damage but nothing serious to mine and the bus just had a couple scratches. I know you'll probably all be thinking "ohh here he goes another one adding to the Audi reputation" but I'm not looking for opinion just want to know where I stand in terms of myself or the bus company sorting this as I know it's generally the third party at fault if you have rear end damage and I'd rather not have this through insurance.

Spoke to the bus companies private accident people twice and apparently they will be looking at footage but I just wanted to know if anyone had any advice (other than stop and look before going around a corner haha) or could predict what will happen here.

If you think it's the bus driver's fault, you want to go through their insurance. If there's an argument that you crossed the bus's path and might be liable, it's up to you but they'll want to claim off you if there's damage they need repairing.

Reactions: DieselJake
Thanks for the response, yeah I have no idea where this stands in terms of liability but I've t-cut almost everything out and found a new rear light for £15 so I definitely won't be claiming haha surely it's not worth the bus claiming either but I have no idea what will happen.

Just to update (as this info may be useful if anyone else doesn't know where they stand in terms of damage liability with a bus in the future) I was called again by the bus company's "private accident" firm who said they won't be paying for the damages and didn't want to go through insurance or take this any further.

So buying a £15 rear light and t-cutting everything was the route to go after all (which is good because that's what I did).

Still a bit of a weird one in terms of where blame would have been placed from an insurance point of view but luckily it didn't come to that.