Centre Console

Behind The Bins

Reaction score
s-l500.jpg

Re posted this thread from RS3 forum, hopefully more traffic will help out.

Car is 2018 RS3

About to attempt to have the centre console hydro dipped, a few questions

1. See picture, does MMI wheel and buttons detach so I'm just left with a piece of plastic for hydro dipping

2. Is the part in the picture generic or is there a LHD/RHD version

3. Anybody know the part number of the centre console

4. Is the part the same in FL and PFL

If someone has an exploded drawing, that would be great.

If I went for a carbon fibre effect, opinions on this matching the standard Optic 3D design in titanium grey

Intention is to hydro dip the part in the pictue and also the part around the gear lever/cup holders, but thinking of buying second hand parts to have dipped

s-l500.jpg

Re posted this thread from RS3 forum, hopefully more traffic will help out.

Car is 2018 RS3

About to attempt to have the centre console hydro dipped, a few questions

1. See picture, does MMI wheel and buttons detach so I'm just left with a piece of plastic for hydro dipping

2. Is the part in the picture generic or is there a LHD/RHD version

3. Anybody know the part number of the centre console

4. Is the part the same in FL and PFL

If someone has an exploded drawing, that would be great.

If I went for a carbon fibre effect, opinions on this matching the standard Optic 3D design in titanium grey

Intention is to hydro dip the part in the pictue and also the part around the gear lever/cup holders, but thinking of buying second hand parts to have dipped

Ok, here goes from memory of my PFL S3 that I had 2 1/2 years ....

1. It should all detach to the base substrate plastic part which is how it’s then built up - maybe some fiddly little clips to deal with.

2. I believe the U.K. gets the LHD version which is why the start button is nearest the passenger.

3. No -sorry

4. Think the PFL has the 4 rocker buttons - this could be self contained within the switch pack but it may have forced a change to the main moulding so can’t say for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Behind The Bins
1) Doubt you can detach them without breaking the housing, I played with it when I was doing FL retrofit on mine, and it looked pretty solid and no where to take it apart without breaking things..

2) It's generic to LHD/RHD, it's the upper part with the cup holder that determines LHD/RHD.

3) You're talking about FL right? There're TONS of different ones... English handwriting input, non-English handwriting input, so you need to look it up and make sure it's the right one for what you need on ETKA.

4) No, totally different. FL has 2 buttons vs PFL 4 buttons.

I wanted to get mine wrapped in carbon at first, but after talking to many vendors, none can ensure me the etched cutout for the volume knob wordings can come out decent so I gave up the idea. Same goes to hydro dip, you'll cover the illuminated wordings on the volume knob. And I guess if you do WHITE carbon then it can match the 3D optic titanium grey ok, but standard carbon.. nah... just my 2 cents..

Reactions: Behind The Bins
1) Doubt you can detach them without breaking the housing, I played with it when I was doing FL retrofit on mine, and it looked pretty solid and no where to take it apart without breaking things..

2) It's generic to LHD/RHD, it's the upper part with the cup holder that determines LHD/RHD.

3) You're talking about FL right? There're TONS of different ones... English handwriting input, non-English handwriting input, so you need to look it up and make sure it's the right one for what you need on ETKA.

4) No, totally different. FL has 2 buttons vs PFL 4 buttons.

I wanted to get mine wrapped in carbon at first, but after talking to many vendors, none can ensure me the etched cutout for the volume knob wordings can come out decent so I gave up the idea. Same goes to hydro dip, you'll cover the illuminated wordings on the volume knob. And I guess if you do WHITE carbon then it can match the 3D optic titanium grey ok, but standard carbon.. nah... just my 2 cents..

Great thanks for all the answers, didn’t think about the writing around the volume button, good call on that one

Can someone please post a picture of a pfl centre console so I can see the 4/2 button difference. I have a fl car

What I might do then is just look at getting the grooved section done around the cup holders, buy a second hand console off eBay, to experiment on.

One last question, if I buy a second hand console it will almost definitely be a pfl and I have a fl. I only really want the grooved part around the cup holder. I know this detaches albeit by heating the plastic welds, but is it the same part on fl and pfl so the pfl second hand part will fit on my fl

Great thanks for all the answers, didn’t think about the writing around the volume button, good call on that one

Can someone please post a picture of a pfl centre console so I can see the 4/2 button difference. I have a fl car

What I might do then is just look at getting the grooved section done around the cup holders, buy a second hand console off eBay, to experiment on.

One last question, if I buy a second hand console it will almost definitely be a pfl and I have a fl. I only really want the grooved part around the cup holder. I know this detaches albeit by heating the plastic welds, but is it the same part on fl and pfl so the pfl second hand part will fit on my fl

The one in your picture is the PFL MMI Radio version with 4 black plastic buttons around the click wheel, the MMI Navi+ version has 4 chrome buttons. If you compare it to your FL, you'll see there's only 2 chrome buttons around the click wheel... The click wheel is also bigger on FLs and white vs red LEDs.

PFL MMI Navi+

FL
11741 st1280 087

The grooved section around the cup holder is actually where LHD/RHD differences are, note that the left side of the knee pad is shorter on both of these pictures as they're both LHD, the right side will be shorter if it's RHD. Otherwise, this part is same for FL and PFL.

Reactions: Jassyo06
The one in your picture is the PFL MMI Radio version with 4 black plastic buttons around the click wheel, the MMI Navi+ version has 4 chrome buttons. If you compare it to your FL, you'll see there's only 2 chrome buttons around the click wheel... The click wheel is also bigger on FLs and white vs red LEDs.

PFL MMI Navi+
View attachment 158655

FL
View attachment 158656

The grooved section around the cup holder is actually where LHD/RHD differences are, note that the left side of the knee pad is shorter on both of these pictures as they're both LHD, the right side will be shorter if it's RHD. Otherwise, this part is same for FL and PFL.

Thanks for the help

So if I buy this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A3-...122301?hash=item1a245b717d:g:mO4AAOSwnHZYhiWn

I can detach the part around the cup holder and re attach to my console once altered

I’m assuming the console is the same in the sport back and saloon? Also is the part the same in a 3 door hatch and cabriolet?

Wow only just realised what a can you of worms you open when looking for a second hand part

My car is fl sport back RS3

Last edited:
Thanks for the help

So if I buy this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A3-...122301?hash=item1a245b717d:g:mO4AAOSwnHZYhiWn

I can detach the part around the cup holder and re attach to my console once altered

I’m assuming the console is the same in the sport back and saloon? Also is the part the same in a 3 door hatch and cabriolet?

Wow only just realised what a can you of worms you open when looking for a second hand part

My car is fl sport back RS3

Yes, but that's the old old old revision, also doesn't have the cup holder LED rings. The latest for both FL and PFL is 8V2864261C for RHD, don't ask me the differences tho...

Reactions: Behind The Bins