Dropping things in the engine bay

mikeyboy

S-line
Reaction score
As some of you might know from the 8p section a plastic cap from a bottle of screenwash fell into my engine bay and into the undertray today, DOH! I took the car out for a spin earlier and everything seems fine so the cap will probably stay in there forever. It got me thinking has anyone else on here had anything fall in to the dark black hole which lies under the bonnet & what did you do, try get it out or just leave it?

Last edited:
Kinds of depends on where it's dropped down doesn't it? If it's near the cambelt/aux belt areas, I'd do my best to try and find/recover it. if doen into open space, and the part not that relevant, then leave it.

Is the cambelt/aux belt on the drivers side? Because the bottle cap fell down the passenger side of the engine bay. I'm positive i heard it land on the very bottom of the bay (undertray). The engine in question is a 2.0 TDI BKD.

Is the cambelt/aux belt on the drivers side? Because the bottle cap fell down the passenger side of the engine bay. I'm positive i heard it land on the very bottom of the bay (undertray). The engine in question is a 2.0 TDI BKD.

To be honest, most modern engines have the cambelt covered, it's only the aux belt you need to worry about, and yes, on vag fwd cars, it's usually on the driverside I believe. I dropped one of those plastic things that go in the centre of those plastic clips to stop them from popping off, never found it. lol

Cheers mate, i can finally stop worrying about it lol

I dropped half a banana into the engine bay of a police car when I was at BMW.... needless to say I had to find it, having ramps helped though :cool:

Dropped many many things into various cars. Normally bolts and clips that you have to find, so things like injector plugs dont pop off.

A strong magnet on the end of a piece of string helps with the metal stuff, or you can actually by magnets on the end of what looks like a car aerial, specifically for getting bolts out of the engine bay.