Engine making a higher pitch then normal

scoss

Reaction score
This seems odd but the car when accelerating from across the rev range (diesel) appears to be making a higher engine noise. It’s not bad enough for my wife to recognise, however you get to know all noises from your car and this isn’t one of them. Car seems to be performing normal at this point.

Any ideas what this could be?

Engine sounds ok when coasting at 70. The noise isn’t like the droaning noise than I had when my wheel baring went the other month.

I had my revs sounding higher than normal a few weeks back, I noticed it straight away in each gear, looked down and I'd slipped it into S mode without noticing! So it was holding the gears for longer!

This seems odd but the car when accelerating from across the rev range (diesel) appears to be making a higher engine noise. It’s not bad enough for my wife to recognise, however you get to know all noises from your car and this isn’t one of them. Car seems to be performing normal at this point.

Any ideas what this could be?

Engine sounds ok when coasting at 70. The noise isn’t like the droaning noise than I had when my wheel baring went the other month.
Because the ambient temperature is colder your engine will also be running colder and take along time to warm up compared to petrol. Thus a diesel will always be noisier this time of year...

Cold weather and oil isn’t getting up to temp could cause this. Diesel also runs thicker in the cold so the injectors can be noisier than usual.

I’m a manual. I’m hoping it’s nothing sinister! Last time I had a noise it was my flywheel and clutch :(

Just wondering what could cause a higher pitch like this.

Perhaps you could pinpoint exactly what area of your car this whining is coming from?

Perhaps you could pinpoint exactly what area of your car this whining is coming from?

It linked to the increase in revs. Noticed it today when pulling away in 3rd going from 2k-3.5k revs. Engine just sounded too high pitch.