Engine mounts

Nickwillyhams

Reaction score
Hi all, can anyone advise me on how much 'movement' my 05 a4 2.0 tdi engine should have? It's quite shakey on idle and have read lots but nothing says how firm they should be from the off? Thanks in advance

nick

The vibration you mention and can view generally means they're gone, vag-com just confirms it.

So it will show an error if they are gone?
Mine has just gone in for its service and they said the engine mounts have dried out and advised they need replacing, at around £525.00!
2008 B7 Avant 2.0TDi 122k

Yeah they're connected up and will flag up the error if they leak, you can also see the leak if you look in the engine bay. Whoever gave that price was surely pulling your leg, I replaced mine with a couple of B5 RS4 mounts (around sub £200?, I can't remember it was dealer money so more expensive than they should be priced at anyway) they're solid so no chance of them leaking, there's a bit more vibration but it's not very noticeable and kind of makes it feel more like a race car haha also the connector to the ECU had to be cable tied back as obviously there was no need for it as they can't leak.

Not all engine mounts have have sensors on them. Friend of mine with a DTM like mine both of his are worn as you can see the one has collapsed and the other has the purple juice running out of it and there is no warning let alone sensor wires on them.

That's strange always assumed DTM's would have solid mounts, it's mostly TDI's with the annoying liquid one's. Can't see why Audi would use liquid mounts without sensors on some then use liquid mounts with sensors on others :blink:

You would think so. But unfortunately not. I mean the revised mounts might be solid mounts. But im 100% sure there is no sensors. I know the RS4 has sensors think the S4 both B7 shape has sensors as well.

I also noticed a lot of Audis with auto boxes seem to have mounts with sensors. Dont know if its a coincident .

vibration on idle can be the timing slightly off, on a Tdi measuring blocks 4 torsion value should be about 0.5