Engine rattle (3.0TDI 272ps)

Inked

Reaction score
Noticed a tapping / rattling noise over the sound of the engine when driving at about 50-60mph a few weeks ago.

Finally got round to popping the hood this afternoon and it can be heard at idle too.

Any ideas before I take it to Audi?

If I popped my bonnet with the engine running I would hear a tapping from the high pressure injectors, as your is a diesel it is likely to be noisy anyway especially in the colder temperatures. Could you manage a recording of the noise that might help to identify?

Reactions: Inked
Will see if I can get a recording done tomorrow, cheers.

Reactions: cuke2u
Mine is in in a couple of weeks, 5th gear is significantly noisier than others although only when warm. It's not guaranteed however so unlikely they will find anything but it's in for it's service anyway.

Interestingly on another subject (sorry OP), the service dept tell me that there is an optional software update for my car, one that can only be completed by audi and not by the customer over the air. I wonder what that is.

Could be to the mmi or the ecu, only the maps can be updated by the owner...

Didn’t get a recording done but did take it to Audi today to have them listen to it. All sounds as it should (and was quieter than yesterday having been driven and warmed up)

Diesels do run colder than petrol and take far longer to warm up, plus the diesel blend is changed to prevent waxing, yes even in the uk. Hence the engines can sound noisier...

Reactions: Inked