ESP Fault After Working On Car

AA12ON

Reaction score
Hi People

I recently had my air con topped up and it didn't pass the check at kwik fit they said i had a leak somewhere so i decided to tackle this on my own. Took my front bumper of and deep down there was a pressure sensor that was faulty so I've changed it and now I'm just waiting to go back and charge the system.

Meanwhile my car has been of the road for 3 weeks with the battery disconnected ( if i wait 3 more days i can save £400 on my car insurance! ) thats whys its been off the road.

Anyways i reconnected it today and i got this appear on my dash board

ESP FAULT See owners manual

Anyone know what is is from perhaps because I've had the battery off for so long i just need to recharge it?

Have you driven the car? The system is self checking so a quick drive around the block should turn it off. Providing there isnt a permanent fault with the system

engine running ,turn steering full lock to left ,hold for 10 seconds , full lock right again hold for 10 seconds then centre steering ,esp fault should be gone ,if not drive car in a straight line for about 50 metres at a low speed between 10 to 15 mph

I can't drive the car till this wednesday so i will take it for a drive and update you all with thats happens finger crossed!

Its because the battery has been disconnected. You'll maybe find that the steering light will be on aswell. You also might experience a rough start up. All of which go away after a second start up and a quick drive up and down your street.

Last edited:
yes it was rough as hell on start up and my steering wheel light was on too! after a few seconds the engine was normal but i will take it for a drive wednesday i should imagine its just because its been disconnected.

Thanks for the help guys

Much appreciated

Had the same problem today as well, after fitting a K&N typhoon kit. But after a short drive, the ESP fault was gone.
Just like what Doogie said. Because the battery has been disconnted.

Reactions: Doogie...