Facelift Facelift Sportback Wheels

Ellski

Reaction score
So due to the 19" wheels seeming to be made of chocolate and buckling all the time, I'm looking into getting some aftermarket replacements...

However the sizes are a bit confusing, the fronts are 8.5J ET53 while the rears are 8J ET49.

I've never heard of the fronts being wider than the rears, especially on an all wheel drive car?

Someone mentioned that on the previous gen RS3, it was an option to have wider fronts as well?

Has anyone fitted aftermarket wheels and had clearance problems?

So due to the 19" wheels seeming to be made of chocolate and buckling all the time, I'm looking into getting some aftermarket replacements...

However the sizes are a bit confusing, the fronts are 8.5J ET53 while the rears are 8J ET49.

I've never heard of the fronts being wider than the rears, especially on an all wheel drive car?

Someone mentioned that on the previous gen RS3, it was an option to have wider fronts as well?

Has anyone fitted aftermarket wheels and had clearance problems?

Yeah wider fronts are on option on PFL and FL (you could have them on the 8P but needed to purchase them yourself).

Supposedly to quell understeer.

If you go aftermarket choose wisely as the wrong alloy can fail to clear the big 8 pot calliper, as someone on this very forum found out recently.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Buckling OEM wheels? First I have heard about it to be honest...

Reactions: AudiNutta
I reckon a high ET say 50 with 15-20mm spacers should sort the clearance issue.

Reactions: Ellski
Yeah wider fronts are on option on PFL and FL (you could have them on the 8P but needed to purchase them yourself).

If you go aftermarket choose wisely as the wrong alloy can fail to clear the big 8 pot calliper, as someone on this very forum found out recently.

:eyes::seenoevil:

Reactions: Ellski

I've managed to do 3 fronts from pot holes @ £900 a go.

So some FL versions come with 8J fronts? Only reason I ask is because I didn't get an option for different wheels when ordering?

I've managed to do 3 fronts from pot holes @ £900 a go.

So some FL versions come with 8J fronts? Only reason I ask is because I didn't get an option for different wheels when ordering?

Ahha pot holes... Are you sure any wheel will survive them??

As for the 8J fronts, yes the standard fitment is 8J all round. I know this as I do not have wider ones on mine. Mine is a PFL but the FL are the same.

Yep I suffered from this mate. When I had my winter tyres fitted to my oem rotors three out of the four wheels had a slight buckle, but were still within tolerance (thank god). Still can not believe it but some of these pot holes are unbelievable and sometimes in avoidable unfortunately.

Is anyone running an 8.5J set up all round?

Winter wheels yes 8.5j x 47 et.

235 tyres.

2e757b61241ce9783feffb9f8d9f2732.jpg

Reactions: Ellski and teslaboy