Feeling really not good about putting a deposit on an S3

GermanCaviar

Reaction score
So I've got a flight booked this Wednesday to go pick up a brand new glacier white S3 (fully loaded) and I'm just now learning about the fact that it's FWD until it loses traction. Coming out of a B8 S4 with torque differential modes I'm getting a little anxious about how the handling of the car will be when I take it on my driving roads. I HATE FWD cars and I don't understand why Audi would put Haldex on one of their S models. Should I invest in a Haldex mod or give BMW a visit and look into their 435i model? Are there any settings in the car that would let me put the car into AWD mode manually?

I thought it was about 70/30 until it needed to adjust. Surely you had a test drive? Anyway, love my Glacier White fully loaded S3 so don't panic just yet.

Reactions: pburv, batch and ChivsBang
You seem to know your motors, I can't understand why you didn't research this first! :boxing:

Apparently the distribution is better on the 8V S3. This would be worth a read:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/haldex-quattro-system.218361/

I've driven a FWD A3 for almost 5 years - also driven 8P A3 with quattro and now 8V with quattro - they most certainly do not perform or feel like a FWD!!!

I'd go with what you have chosen!

Reactions: Jassyo06
Never really looked in detail about the workings of Quattro, but just discovered some good info here:

https://www.audi.co.uk/audi-innovation/quattro-all-wheel-drive.html

and interesting paragraph here: https://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/press-kits/2016/2016-tt-tts (TT uses same Quattro system as the A3)?

A new quattro® all-wheel-drive system varies torque delivery percentage front to rear by measuring the coefficient of traction at all four wheels via 150 readings every 10 milliseconds, and for the first time can be controlled through the Audi drive select system. When in dynamic mode, the quattro® system has a rear-wheel power bias.

First off, the statement that it is FWD until it loses traction is simply nonsense in respect of haldex 5 which, in fact, starts to distribute power to the rear wheels in response to throttle applications in such a way as to match torque distribution to weight distribution, roughly.

It results in a near-as-dammit neutral set-up which, on the road, feels like a FWD drive car with a ridiculous amount of traction and, in the exit of bends, grip too. Personally, I love it for nearly all real world applications. If you hate FWD though, then is isn't for you most likely. A haldex mod won't make the car feel RWD; that is physically impossible and anyone who tells you different is lying.

Reactions: philip369, richinsoton and Jassyo06
I will have to agree with Satory, if you are looking for a RWD car and one that responds/acts like a RWD, this will not be for you, however this does not act like a FWD car at all. I think overall you'll be pleasantly surprised and can distribute more power to the rear from the link I posted above via VCD or OBD11. Overall, you'll be in for a bit of letdown as this is going to be the future of Audi because of gas mileage requirements.

I went test driving one today (for the 3rd time) and I'm definitely sold. Will post pics on Wednesday when I pick my new best friend up! Already made an appointment to have APR Stage 2 done. It's gonna be a great week. Thanks for the help everyone

Reactions: rcnacura
Show room to work shop - I like your style ! :friends:

Reactions: rcnacura, Jassyo06 and pburv
I went test driving one today (for the 3rd time) and I'm definitely sold. Will post pics on Wednesday when I pick my new best friend up! Already made an appointment to have APR Stage 2 done. It's gonna be a great week. Thanks for the help everyone

Before test driving the S3 I had the same initial thoughts about not liking it as it was based on a FWD platform, but the test drive definitely changed my mind as you really don't feel any FWD tendancies in the car both in relaxed and spirited driving. For reference I am coming from driving RWD based BMW 3 series models for the last 8 years or so.