Group Buy: 034 Motorsport Transmission Mount Insert for B8 A4/S4/RS4/A5/S5/RS5

Those instructions are great - Well played to them :)

I havent noticed any particular problems with my shifts so I don't think I will go for it.

I'm buying it based on the pleasure of reading the instructions, if it's rubbish I'll just bin it! The instructions are ace; very 'Innocent smoothie'!

Reactions: Sandra
I'm buying it based on the pleasure of reading the instructions, if it's rubbish I'll just bin it! The instructions are ace; very 'Innocent smoothie'!

Warren please let us know if it makes any difference or if it's just a psychological thing, I haven't noticed any real problems on my car when shifting or vibrations, but then again I haven't driven any other Audi's to compare.
Is this transmission mount for certain models with an issue?

All models can suffer the same issue, transmission mounts will wear over time. Audi will make theirs to a budget, aftermarket manufacturers will see the weak spots and make it better.

Uprated transmission mounts keep the drivetrain better aligned / changing more smoothly. The mounts will also wear less quickly as there is less play.

Manual cars will benefit most as the gear changes aren't as seamless as STronic, but both will benefit.

I've been astonished given how cheap this mod is that more people aren't signing up. Any car over 3 years will be suffering some kind of mount deterioration, as I'm looking to upgrade power early on I want everything working to the best of its ability, the harder you can accelerate the harder the engine can kick back. It's almost a no brainer for people looking to mod.

Reactions: Cuppa, Rich M and Liquidfusion-S3
I couldn't resist so put my name down. I have always done the mount on my previous cars as already stated the rubber used in the standard mount is rubbish. For £80 you really can't go wrong

Reactions: Cuppa
Is this part just a lump of metal? looks like the "claimed to be poor" Audi rubber stays in place?

Pictures are not convincing me that this will do much if anything at all? i.e. same rubber, same characteristic?

If it is just a lump of aluminium, "like it looks to me", then £80 is rather a lot, if its the whole mount inc. revised rubber etc, then its a good price? but the instructions look like its just the lump of metal that replaces a "U" shaped steel OEM one?

Anyone actualy done this yet?

With the group buy will work out less than £60.

If you look in the links and feedback I posted then you'll see comments from people who have already fitted. Have enough names now for me to be happy to order so will let everyone know progress.

Have had a call from another potential buyer tonight. Not a forum member, but a local S4 guy who I can vouch for. Just waiting for the nod, his name is Jay Gemson.

It is a very nice piece of CNC'd aluminium which would be fine if everybody could see it, but as it's mounted in the middle of the car underneath nobody is ever going to see it.
I am sure a moulded piece of HDPE would probably achieve the same result at a cheaper price

I'm surprised that at sub £60 people are finding reasons to knock this product. Ok it's not a bargain, but it will likely protect the rubber of the engine mount from degrading over time due to the excessive play tolerances in the OEM one. I bet if you had to replace a worn mount it would cost more than £60.

Ref post #11 (people can't see it), personally that doesn't bother me at all, I'd happily spend money on stuff people can't see if it makes a difference, it's about driving pleasure/performance/longevity for me, once fitted if I never see it again then it means it's done it's job. I'd rather 'go' than 'show'. I appreciate there may be cheaper ways to crack the nut, but this is here to buy today, can't see anything else on the horizon, and with some significant mods coming the transmission may need some support

Reactions: ruairi83 and Cuppa
My comment about the fact that you can't see it was based on the extra cost of the product to make it look pretty. I too have no issue spending money on something if it does the job. I see no point in spending extra time and money polishing it and engraving it if nobody is ever going to see it.
Essentially this item is just filling the voids in the rubber bush so to me it's very over engineered and hence over priced for the job it will be doing.I get the fact that people like shiny looking technical things but at the end of the day it doesn't need to be like that to do the job.
Next time I am under the car I will get out a big pry bar and see how much movement is in the mounting.

Karl.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9, allanmb and warren_S5
Have had a call from another potential buyer tonight. Not a forum member, but a local S4 guy who I can vouch for. Just waiting for the nod, his name is Jay Gemson.
That's me! I'm down for this, mine is STronic. The feedback from the chaps who have fitted it in the states sounds great so far.

I agree that it may be over-engineered, but we're quibbling over something that costs less than the price of a tank of fuel. I'd rather it be over-engineered than just simply fit for purpose any day. Regarding its appearance it's actually clear anodised, not polished, which is to protect the aluminium from corrosion given that it's exposed to the elements rather than to make it look better. There are chaps on audizine however who are requesting it in different colours - that is ridiculous.

Reactions: Cuppa and warren_S5
14121839154_2ee2763b31_c.jpg

Mounts are in and price in the UK is £58 delivered

For the rest of Europe additional shipping make them £62.80 each delivered. Details are in the Group Buy Section thread.

Has anybody fitted one of these yet, what is this slop in the transmission that people are talking about I haven't noticed any slop in the transmission on my car or a jerk when changing gear??? I am after a short shifter though if anybody has one or can recommend one?

I'm not a transmission 'slop' expert, but my 1-2 and 2-3 shifts can be a bit messy and not very crisp (601PS doesn't help though, lol). Haven't had chance to fit mine yet, but the first lot of people should be receiving theirs today/tomorrow so we'll soon find out. People over on Audizine can be pretty ruthless if they don't like something or it's snake oil and if they're saying good things then I'm happy.

Re short throw shifters, I have a JHM one and it's been fine, I like it. I've not compared to others though so can't say if it's the best out there - some people rave about it, some people rave about other makes.

Well I had a look at my car and figured I could make something similar that would do the same job. Not that there appeared to be a lot of excess play in this mount. I can see what the mount is supposed to do and by filling the air gaps the amount of movement will be reduced substanially. I was suprised how small the mount is.
Took about 1.5 hours to make this and TBH I haven't noticed that much difference, The gearstick does appear to move around a little less if anything.
It was made out of a piece of box section steel and mig welded.

Karl.

Reactions: Sandra, warren_S5 and SI-W85
Nice one Karl, good skills. I'd struggle to fit the aftermarket one, let alone build my own.

Well I had a look at my car and figured I could make something similar that would do the same job. Not that there appeared to be a lot of excess play in this mount. I can see what the mount is supposed to do and by filling the air gaps the amount of movement will be reduced substanially. I was suprised how small the mount is.
Took about 1.5 hours to make this and TBH I haven't noticed that much difference, The gearstick does appear to move around a little less if anything.

Karl.

Good fabrication mate

Doing another group buy on these so for anyone who missed out I'm collecting more names, up to 6/25 so far.

Some more feedback from A5OC

I've just fitted mine and went for a test drive; lightyears better than before. I've got 110k on the clock in with the engine in dynamic mode I'd say the shifts were verging on brutal if I wasn't being careful; now they're smooth and solid. I've also had a wee bit of rocking in slow traffic (1st gear on and off the throttle) and that's gone too.

Was worried that I'd got a bit excitable and wasted £58 on something I'd never notice, so I'm relieved!

If you didn't buy one, you should. If you bought one, get it fitted!

Mine took a grand total of 4 minutes to fit (including going into the house to pick it up off the table) - I'm a lanky ****** and could reach it without lifting the car at all!

Installed mine yesterday. Even at 5 stars this thing is severely underrated.

I gotten mine on Monday and I have to say that there is a huge difference. I used to find the S-Tronic shift from 1-2 when cold was not very good, but it's much improved with this mount. I now can't tell when the car shifts from 2-3, 3-4 or anything. My 3-2 shifts are also very smooth and 2-1 has always been good anyway. Dynamic is much more smooth too, especially 1-2 when you floor it.

I don't think I've explained myself very well, but things like this are tricky to put into words without sounding like your gearbox was behaving badly beforehand, which mine wasn't.

It's £58 well spent.

Thanks again Cuppa.

No problem, I just helped buy it. Glad it's working well for everyone as I'm enjoying mine too.

Still have 15 here in a box ready to go for whoever wants one.

Question. This spacer insert takes the movement out of the rubber mounting by filling the voids with metal, the voids are there to allow movement between joined components without transmitting vibration & movement stresses from one to the other. Take out the ability for the joint to move and the stresses are transmitted directly to the adjoining component which was not designed to take those stresses, component failure can easily result.
When the component in question is the gearbox casing which will cost a small fortune to replace if it cracks, is it worth the risk of fitting this insert ?

Its a fair question mate, was thinking the same thing myself, if it was that simple surely Audi design engineers would have sorted this issue by now? Good look to all who have fitted the mount . I guess only time will tell.

Reactions: Spares
Here is a Q and A from Audizine:

Is it possible Audi designed the mount, so there would be some play/slack in the drivetrain? I.e. Is it possible this part could increase wear or damage any driveline components by not allowing freedom of movement?

I know it sounds dumb.. but I'd think Audi's engineers would have a reason for the design from the factory.. unless its a carryover from non-DSG slush box transmissions that was overlooked..

The mount is the same for all of the transmissions, and the design is designed to prevent NVH from the drivetrain entering the cabin. The mounts are not designed to limit stress on the transmission. That is controlled almost entirely by the DSG and ECU calibrations.

Filling the void and limiting the up/down movement of the mount limits slop and improves shifting feel without introducing anything noticeable back into the cabin. The mount still functions very well to prevent NVH transfer, as the rubber is still able to do its job. [up]

Hmm, not convinced by that, stresses in transmission mountings are as a result of the twisting force (torque) from the act of propelling the vehicle along (Newtons 3rd law) I don't see how the electronics can negate this. Take away the ability of the void bush to absorb the force and it will transmit it to the component it is fixed to. This will undoubtably prove catastrophic in the end, probably not today or tomorrow, but eventually the casting will more than likely fracture.

IMG_1813_zps2d9e70df.jpg

Karl.
Hi Karl,

You're likely not noticing much of a difference because what you built does not limit the upward movement of the transmission like our mount does. I'm sure if you take a closer look at our machined part, and how it looks installed, you'll see why that is. :thumbsup:

Nice job on the fabrication, though, we always love to see DIY solutions. It looks like you're most of the way there.

Question. This spacer insert takes the movement out of the rubber mounting by filling the voids with metal, the voids are there to allow movement between joined components without transmitting vibration & movement stresses from one to the other. Take out the ability for the joint to move and the stresses are transmitted directly to the adjoining component which was not designed to take those stresses, component failure can easily result.
When the component in question is the gearbox casing which will cost a small fortune to replace if it cracks, is it worth the risk of fitting this insert ?
Hmm, not convinced by that, stresses in transmission mountings are as a result of the twisting force (torque) from the act of propelling the vehicle along (Newtons 3rd law) I don't see how the electronics can negate this. Take away the ability of the void bush to absorb the force and it will transmit it to the component it is fixed to. This will undoubtably prove catastrophic in the end, probably not today or tomorrow, but eventually the casting will more than likely fracture.
Hi Spares,

My response quoted from Audizine (which was quoted) had to do with the load on the DSG transmission, not the load on the mount or transmission housing. However, they are somewhat related since the DSG calibrations do have torque limits and affect the speed and harshness of shifts.

The transmission mount still deals with the same amount of the torque without the insert there. In fact, the stock metal piece that is removed from the bottom of the mount also limits the upward movement of the transmission. It just allows for a bit more movement, then distributes force on a smaller portion of the mount than our insert does, putting more stress on the aluminum. (Not that the aluminum casting will break, even if you use it for solid mounting.

All the void does is minimize NVH transfer into the cabin by allowing some movement during load transitions (shifts, throttle transitions, idle fluctuations). It is designed for comfort. It is not there to keep the mount casting or bellhousing from failing. Those stock parts are actually more than strong enough for solid mounting, even in race conditions. It is an incorrect assumption to think that a DSG or 6-MT transmission's torque limits are above the strength of the transmission bellhousing and mount casting.

Our insert does not negatively impact the life of the transmission or transmission mount, nor does it make it a solid mount by any means. The rubber between the insert and the mount, as well as the rubber piece on the backside of the mount, are both still intact and work to limit NVH transfer into the cabin, but to a slightly lesser degree. Load generated from the drivetrain is still shared by the differential and engine mounts, as well as the transmission mount.

Me not convinced either, being a design engineer myself Areospace not Automotive, simple things like the transmission mount are not something Audi Design/Stress engineers would over look in my honest opinion? These cars are put through rigorous testing during the design stages, the void is obviously there for a reason, filling the void and limiting the up/down movement just transfers the load else where, as there is no freedom of movement as it was designed to have.
It may improve smoothness of the gear changes etc for now, but lets hope all who have fitted them don't regret it?

Time will certainly tell on this one, but agree that it could be a risk of something more serious in the future for sure.

Hello everyone! My account is finally active and a moderator recently approved my response above. Fee free to post or PM me with any questions you have related to this or our other products.

Please note that I do not facilitate sales, nor am I here to market our products. I am just here to provide answers to questions you may have.

Thanks!

Hi Karl,

You're likely not noticing much of a difference because what you built does not limit the upward movement of the transmission like our mount does. I'm sure if you take a closer look at our machined part, and how it looks installed, you'll see why that is. :thumbsup:

Nice job on the fabrication, though, we always love to see DIY solutions. It looks like you're most of the way there.
Thanks for that, I did spot the fact that your mount would limit upward movement but figured that would not be that much of an issue but with that feedback from yourself I will weld some steel onto the ends of the bar to reduce the vertical movement. It's just a pity such a well manufactured and designed piece of work is never seen.

Karl.

Yes, still open. As soon as we have a list of 25 names again I'll place an order.

Reactions: jdp1962