[Guide] Audi A3 8V Genuine LED Cupholder Retrofit

looks like I'll be purchasing more stuff from you lol

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Can anyone confirm whether it is possible to get access to the connector which plugs into the cigarette lighter?

I have made a plug and play harness piggy backs off the connector to power the cupholder led so no need for splicing or wiring to the BCM.

If anyone is up for trialing this then please drop me a message.

Hope this image helps. I'd be happy to try new lead out
83dbdf6062dcfc39a473386e1c300e75.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the image Leon - I have now created a piggyback harness which gives people the option to wire in the LED without having to do to the BCM, this harness piggybacks onto the cigarette lighter connector, very simple to fit. I have someone trialing this harness to check the lengths (95% sure they are ok) but thanks for the offer Leon.

This kit will be available on the website:

https://rocketwires.co.uk/online-shop/ols/products/a3-cupholder-illumination-harness

Screenshot 2021 01 27 at 095043

Reactions: leonwilliams
@Smurf S3
when you talk about connecting to pin 20 of the t46 connector do you mean t46b? To block the A2 connector in the photo? thanks in advance of the answer.
T46b

Thanks for your quick response. I take this opportunity for another question. Is the coding for the A3 restyling the same as for the pre-restyling?

I fitted the RocketWires BCM loom and rings today. I was a little worried (like a lot of others) about the melting of tabs, but took my time and it’s fairly easy. What I did was melt the bulbous area of the tab, but also melted a line down the centre which helps separate the tab from the joining piece while using pressure with a trim tool.

BCM install took some time due to having to remove the glovebox and some side trim. Stupidly I forgot to disconnect my battery and now have “safety warnings” relating to air bags haha.

I will reset these alongside the coding of the led tomorrow.

Reactions: RobinA3
sorry, today I received my cupholder led from Ali ... in the package there was the wiring of the photo. Does anyone know how to connect. I know that on my audi a3 8v facelift it goes to pin 20 of the t46b connector but you can see an extra blue connector also the cable is short to get to the t46b. thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3455.jpg
    IMG_3455.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 356
sorry, today I received my cupholder led from Ali ... in the package there was the wiring of the photo. Does anyone know how to connect. I know that on my audi a3 8v facelift it goes to pin 20 of the t46b connector but you can see an extra blue connector also the cable is short to get to the t46b. thank you
They are the wrong terminals for the BCM connector.

It would be easier for you to purchase one of our harnesses - https://rocketwires.co.uk/online-shop/ols/products/a3-cupholder-illumination-harness

Hoping someone can help...

LED cupholder is installed (BCM) and working, BUT only when the ignition is off or the doors are open. As soon as I turn the ignition on it turns the LED cupholder off.

Can anyone tell me how to have it 'on' all the time via VCDS coding?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Wire into cigarette lighter it will come on with ignition and stay on till you turn off. That's how I did mines

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I've already wired it into the BCM now. I just want to know VCDS codings so it is on all the time...

Check out this link
It's in German but if you access through chrome, it will be translated. The page submenu has a massive list of A3 8V codings including ambient lighting that you are after. Cupholder comes under 'Front' lighting that means both cupholder and ambient pins from BCM. I can't remember exactly but default activation will not make cupholder Power On at all times. It will come on when stationery/Parking Lights are active but you can surely change light function settings for cupholder pin to behave how you prefer.
Below link explains how to adapt Light functions/behaviour via vagcom:

Reactions: swgdesign
Hoping someone can help...

LED cupholder is installed (BCM) and working, BUT only when the ignition is off or the doors are open. As soon as I turn the ignition on it turns the LED cupholder off.

Can anyone tell me how to have it 'on' all the time via VCDS coding?

Thanks!
Sorry I didn't read this and replied to your very last message.
By default, it will Power On when Door Open and Power Off on ignition, unless it is night time and your lights are set to Auto or you have light switch on Parking lights or Headlights settings.
You can adapt Light function, I have sent link in last post. By default cupholder pin function is set to Ambient 2. You can change to:
Klemme 30G- Battery plus, can be switched off
OR
Klemme 15 ohne Nachlauf- Lights up when the ignition is on

Klemme 30G, will make it turn on when you unlock the car, before you open the door, stay on with/without ignition and turn off when you close door and lock the car. Klemme 30G does have a time limit as well when it turns off after so long with no ignition.

For my car, cupholder pin is Pin3 in T73C of BCM, so light channel name under Central Electrics 'adaptations' will be something like
(4)-LeuchteXXXX XXC3-Lichtfunktion A X---- notice C3, C refers to T73C and 3 to pin 3
you want to change function of this channel to one of the options I mentioned above. Please see this link on light channel adaptations before you make the change https://www.motor-talk.de/blogs/tba...-leuchtenkonfiguration-erklaert-t5039426.html

Reactions: swgdesign
Sorry I didn't read this and replied to your very last message.
By default, it will Power On when Door Open and Power Off on ignition, unless it is night time and your lights are set to Auto or you have light switch on Parking lights or Headlights settings.
You can adapt Light function, I have sent link in last post. By default cupholder pin function is set to Ambient 2. You can change to:
Klemme 30G- Battery plus, can be switched off
OR
Klemme 15 ohne Nachlauf- Lights up when the ignition is on

Klemme 30G, will make it turn on when you unlock the car, before you open the door, stay on with/without ignition and turn off when you close door and lock the car. Klemme 30G does have a time limit as well when it turns off after so long with no ignition.

For my car, cupholder pin is Pin3 in T73C of BCM, so light channel name under Central Electrics 'adaptations' will be something like
(4)-LeuchteXXXX XXC3-Lichtfunktion A X---- notice C3, C refers to T73C and 3 to pin 3
you want to change function of this channel to one of the options I mentioned above. Please see this link on light channel adaptations before you make the change https://www.motor-talk.de/blogs/tba...-leuchtenkonfiguration-erklaert-t5039426.html
If your cupholder is on T46B pin 20 then light channel will be labelled as something B20.. and you can confirm by looking at light channel function, should be Ambient 2 and the load type is Low power LED for cupholder, I think you only need to change the function type and that should do the trick.

For MMI control of the cupholder light, I have confirmed that these adaptation changes are correct:

Wire the cupholder light into the middle connector BCM. T46B pin 2.

5F - Adaptations
  • Vehicle function list BAP-interieur_light_0x08 = Activated
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination = activated
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_clamp_15_off = not activated
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_over_threshold_high = activated
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_standstill = not activated
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_after_disclaimer = not activated
09 - Adaptations
  • Int. light: 2nd generation-Cockpitbeleuchtung mehrfarbig - Active
  • Int. light: 2nd generation-Helligkeit Cockpitbeleuchtung nicht berechnen - Not Active
  • Interior light: light configuration-Ambientemenue mit alle Zonen - active
  • Interior light: light configuration-Cockpitbeleuchtung - installed
  • Leuchte9FL RB2-Lichtfunktion A 9 - Ambientelicht 2
09 - Long Coding
Byte 17 Bit 2
Hi, could you please clarify to me the connection ?
When I look at the BCM pinout
On T46b pin2 is connected right headlight
I stumbled upon other forum that
They connected the positive to the
T73C pin3 which is in my case rear turn signal.
Should I tap it into one of the the wires ?
or should I use some other connection ?

thanks for the help !1975985F 8FEF 430C AE74 606463B4DC775A898742 5EDF 40FC B761 B29784D19695

Hi.. there is variation between different models of A3, as to which pin is used to for what purpose.

Kindly tell me if your car is A3 8V Sportback, which year Reg, petrol/diesel engine size, with extra lighting pack.. then I will read through electric diagram files to find out which will be correct pin for you.

No, you don't tap into wire that is already there, the pin should be free.

For A3 8V, for cupholder

Models with Halogen Headlights: T73c pin 3
Models with Additional Lights: T73c pin 62
Models with Xenon Headlights: T46b pin 2
Models with LED Headlights: T46b pin 20

Sorry that's what I found from electric diagram files, and for my car I used T73c pin 3.

T73c pin 3 and T46b pin 2 use same size crimp terminal. It's repair wire 000979025E

T73c pin 62 and T46b pin 20 use same size crimp terminal. Repair wire 000979009E

Last edited:
For MMI control of the cupholder light, I have confirmed that these adaptation changes are correct:

Wire the cupholder light into the middle connector BCM. T46B pin 2.

5F - Adaptations
  • Vehicle function list BAP-interieur_light_0x08 = Activated
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination = activated
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_clamp_15_off = not activated
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_over_threshold_high = activated
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_standstill = not activated
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_after_disclaimer = not activated
09 - Adaptations
  • Int. light: 2nd generation-Cockpitbeleuchtung mehrfarbig - Active
  • Int. light: 2nd generation-Helligkeit Cockpitbeleuchtung nicht berechnen - Not Active
  • Interior light: light configuration-Ambientemenue mit alle Zonen - active
  • Interior light: light configuration-Cockpitbeleuchtung - installed
  • Leuchte9FL RB2-Lichtfunktion A 9 - Ambientelicht 2
09 - Long Coding
Byte 17 Bit 2
I have mounted mine in pin 46b/2, I have followed this guide, I have double checked, I have light but can not see it in mmi and I can neither turn on nor off the light. it is constantly lit. any ideas?

You checked in MMI under Background Lighting..same submenu as settings for ComingHome/LeavingHome lights

Sorry.. i have not read fully but I think you are missing Byte 17 Bit 3 to activate menu

Use google translate on this link below and just check through your settings.. that's what I used.. the actual auto turning on and off can be fine tuned if you wish

You checked in MMI under Background Lighting..same submenu as settings for ComingHome/LeavingHome lights
I just checked again, and actually it’s there now! Everything i Working as it’s supposed to…… sorry for the inconvenience….

Sorry.. i have not read fully but I think you are missing Byte 17 Bit 3 to activate menu

Use google translate on this link below and just check through your settings.. that's what I used.. the actual auto turning on and off can be fine tuned if you wish

I did nothing, but when I switched on now, it was as if the radio restarted, and then came the menu, so everything plays now!…. have been sitting for a few hours with vcds to find the error… ..

Brilliant
See if you like how/when it turns on/off and if you want to change that behaviour.. can be controlled by adapting the light channel for it... To lets say Turn on at all times, unless your car is turned off and locked.
Or turn on with ignition only
Some people using it with light switch dimmer control.
Few other options as well

yep, I see if the current setting suits the lady, otherwise I have to start with the adjustment… ..

thank you very much for the help so far….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's some fibre optic lights which run on 12v here's a pic
How did this project go for you?
I did similar kit and have managed MMI power control and played with light channels to get more of OEM behaviour from the lights.

Attachments

• IMG_20210621_232701_714.jpg
    IMG_20210621_232701_714.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 238
  • IMG_20210621_131848_833.jpg
    IMG_20210621_131848_833.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 228
  • IMG_20210408_132804.jpg
    IMG_20210408_132804.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 220
  • IMG_20210404_220355.jpg
    IMG_20210404_220355.jpg
    942.9 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_20210621_230308.jpg
    IMG_20210621_230308.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 242
  • Screenshot_20210811_072159_com.android.gallery3d_edit_117594633253410.jpg
    Screenshot_20210811_072159_com.android.gallery3d_edit_117594633253410.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 226
  • Screenshot_20210811_072123_com.android.gallery3d_edit_117602131267471.jpg
    Screenshot_20210811_072123_com.android.gallery3d_edit_117602131267471.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 261
  • Temp_1623481564552.png
    Temp_1623481564552.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 246
I’m a bit late but here is my story.

I have had the cup holder lights working perfectly for almost 2 years now, along the footwell lights - I got both jobs done together. All coded in the MMI and it all works perfectly: independent control of each one, with dimming.
Both installations done following the Audi schematics. I got the cup holder ring from Ali Express and it didn’t have any plugs, so I expliced it within the original connector, same for the footwell.

Reactions: ZeA38VSport
If your cupholder is on T46B pin 20 then light channel will be labelled as something B20.. and you can confirm by looking at light channel function, should be Ambient 2 and the load type is Low power LED for cupholder, I think you only need to change the function type and that should do the trick.
Hi I’m going to have a go at this, will order the correct kit, may seem a daft question but what is the BCM and where would it be.

Hi I’m going to have a go at this, will order the correct kit, may seem a daft question but what is the BCM and where would it be.
BCM is Bodycontrolmodule.. sits at Front Left passenger side... Almost where gloveBox is but to the outer side of it...under the side plastic panels...
Link below shows photo of where it is in the first post
Cupholder pin changes depending on what spec your car is, not same for all A3 8V.. and needs coding for activation

BCM is Bodycontrolmodule.. sits at Front Left passenger side... Almost where gloveBox is but to the outer side of it...under the side plastic panels...
Link below shows photo of where it is in the first post
Cupholder pin changes depending on what spec your car is, not same for all A3 8V.. and needs coding for activation

Brilliant thanks I wondered what it was, I have a 2014 S3 without the interior light pack but it has the lights round the B&O front speakers.

Brilliant thanks I wondered what it was, I have a 2014 S3 without the interior light pack but it has the lights round the B&O front speakers.
For models with Xenon headlight- T46B, so middle connector of BCM, pin 2 for cupholder... Think it will be Repair Wire 000979025E for that pin.

Reactions: rhubarb4
Slightly different but I figure it might correlate - I had these from factory as part of the interior light pack thingy: in the MMI I was able to control the brightness of the cupholder lights and footwell lights independently (I believe the cupholder lights came under "front lighting" and footwell were "footwell" but I don't remember). I had an MIB2 upgrade recently and those options were in the new MMI. The guy fitting it coded in what he could, but all I have now is "background lighting" and that controls both the footwells and the cupholders at the same time, not independently.

Is there a way to code it correctly in so it works as it used to?

Slightly different but I figure it might correlate - I had these from factory as part of the interior light pack thingy: in the MMI I was able to control the brightness of the cupholder lights and footwell lights independently (I believe the cupholder lights came under "front lighting" and footwell were "footwell" but I don't remember). I had an MIB2 upgrade recently and those options were in the new MMI. The guy fitting it coded in what he could, but all I have now is "background lighting" and that controls both the footwells and the cupholders at the same time, not independently.

Is there a way to code it correctly in so it works as it used to?
Hi, have you found anything for this?