Audi A3 8V Reverse Camera (High) DIY Retrofit guide!!

This should work. Does the can hi and lo still connect at the quadlock? There's a connector in the first image that I haven't seen in any of the guides.

Edit: I think I see what that's for now. They provide that connector so you don't have to splice into the can wires. Just depin and reinstall. Does that sound right?

Can hi and low to pins 6 and 12 on the grey quadlock. Video to 6 and 12 to blue quadlock. power to fuse box and earth to earth.

Reactions: Audi Upgrades Ltd and steelgraygtp
If you have front parking sensors you should use a pre-facelift camera so the parking button works, otherwise you can use facelift camera.
Hi DJAlix,

I have been silly, I purchased a genuine FL camera (8V0827566B) and installed a genuine audi wiring kit to my PFL A3 DSG which has 360 PDC/Park Assist before seeing this post,

The camera engages and shows on the screen along with the parking sensors OPS when in reverse but the button for parking sensors no longer works to active them.

-I have coded the Can-Gateway to show 6C installed and shows active in the adaptions menu
-5F adapted to BAP-VPS_0X0B= active / BAP-VPS_0X0B_MSG_BUS= comfort bus (byte 19 shows as inactive for low RVC)
-Park Assist coded 130161051

Was there a work around for this or have I wasted my time? :sadlike:

Many thanks R

Hi DJAlix,

I have been silly, I purchased a genuine FL camera (8V0827566B) and installed a genuine audi wiring kit to my PFL A3 DSG which has 360 PDC/Park Assist before seeing this post,

The camera engages and shows on the screen along with the parking sensors OPS when in reverse but the button for parking sensors no longer works to active them.

-I have coded the Can-Gateway to show 6C installed and shows active in the adaptions menu
-5F adapted to BAP-VPS_0X0B= active / BAP-VPS_0X0B_MSG_BUS= comfort bus (byte 19 shows as inactive for low RVC)
-Park Assist coded 130161051

Was there a work around for this or have I wasted my time? :sadlike:

Many thanks R
Not that I am willing to detail I am afraid.

Wasted your time? Camera not working on the button is not the end of the world if all you need is to be able to see behind you when reversing I would say. Camera will switch off when you reach 8mph. However if you were looking to have everything as OEM then unfortunately you have an incorrect camera and you 100% don’t have an OEM wiring loom as vw group don’t make one for the A3 as a retrofit.

Not that I am willing to detail I am afraid.

Wasted your time? Camera not working on the button is not the end of the world if all you need is to be able to see behind you when reversing I would say. Camera will switch off when you reach 8mph. However if you were looking to have everything as OEM then unfortunately you have an incorrect camera and you 100% don’t have an OEM wiring loom as vw group don’t make one for the A3 as a retrofit.
Part number for a genuine Audi wiring harness (FL) is 81A054733A I have one to sell if you are interested which comes as a part of kit 8V0054634 from the (FL), piggybacks off the back of the 5F unit plug with no cutting or splicing.

I have now ordered the PFL version to fit, bought a grab handle housing from an A4 with a Washer Jet, swapping the PFL A3 8V camera in to the A4 unit :)

I make my own reversing camera looms but thanks for the offer. This is interesting though as VW Group did not offer an official reversing camera retrofit kit for the A3 8V. Seems they offer one for facelift vehicles now.

Parking button will work but only for the sensors, it will not trigger your FL reversing camera.
Hi, I have PFL Audi A3 2015 with rear and front sensors, will parking button trigger OPC / Rear camera image with this camera module: 5Q0907441A?

Attachments

• camera.jpg
    camera.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 63
Hello everyone, I've read the whole topic and bunch of other ones, but still want to ask few quick questions to be sure :)
I have 19 FL model, with virtual cockpit, and MMI with nav, carplay, B&O... so I assume it's the right one.
Since I'm based in Serbia, I don't really have many options to buy RVC from, so would this one from Ali be good?
Screenshot 2024 01 27 212058

Don't buy that Aliexpress kit, it looks good but it's cheap junk.

I bought one and I regret it, because the image is wonky and these are a real pain to remove, that and the sellers don't care after you've bought it.

For reference my car is perfectly level.

If anyone has a genuine camera they want to sell, let me know.

Camera

Reactions: DJAlix
The selller says its down to a calibration issue. I can't see calibration changing the angle of the display. Does it?

The selller says it’s down to a calibration issue. I can't see calibration changing the angle of the display. Does it?
Proper calibration can but what I have found with these AliExpress cameras is they are not fitted correctly in the handle and need physical modification. Pay cheap = get cheap

That's my thinking too but I've fitted many cameras to many vehicles in the past and never had a wonky vision camera.

Is there a specific setting in the calibration setting that tips the image? I don't care if the steering lines don't work, I just would like a straight display.

I've got 16 different options to chose from in camera calibration settings, but I don't know which one tips the image.

That's my thinking too but I've fitted many cameras to many vehicles in the past and never had a wonky vision camera.

Is there a specific setting in the calibration setting that tips the image? I don't care if the steering lines don't work, I just would like a straight display.

I've got 16 different options to chose from in camera calibration settings, but I don't know which one tips the image.
No idea what tool you are using but a genuine calibration is based on a calibration board which is positioned behind the vehicle.

I understand that, I'm not really after a calibration, just more of a tip the image the other way if I can.

OB11, is what I'm using. I have VCDS too but it seems hit and miss.

Well that’s called a calibration lol The horizontal is based off the calibration board positioning.

I like obd11, it’s gives me loads of business correcting the errors it causes :) No idea what settings you have found adjustment wise I am afraid.

Reactions: 8YARWY
Fortunately I don't use it much, it was just to code up the camera, which it did automatically. It's not a tool I would use to run a business with.

The settings I have are below.
Which one do you think will tilt the image?
Screenshot 20240129 180651

It allows me to change the values...

Worst case I ruin a £50 camera with experimenting.

I've got a 2016 PFL saloon with front+rear parking sensors, currently MIB1 high but going to MIB2 high as soon as there's a FL B&O amp listed for a good price!

Given the above, which camera ? the PFL or FL ?
Also given the MIB2 retrofit, could I then use the "official" wiring kit (81A054733A) mentioned above?

happy days
Hello , i am from Greece and i am owner of Pfl S3 8V sedan 2016 MY . I have retrofitted high rear view camera from Aidu Auto China 5Q0980556B.
I did basic settings with odis s , and 6C works with no problem from the first time . One issue that i have is one error in 6C about a missing message .
I am sending you autoscan above
Best regards

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 44
  • photo_5951521403540979452_y.jpg
    photo_5951521403540979452_y.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 49
need to scan the vehicle with hex v2 or hex net interface to understand the error with VCDS, or with ODIS.
but i have send you complete autoscan it is not enough ? As i told i am from Greece , how can you do that , i have odis how can i help you to help me ?

As per your scan, your VCDS interface does not understand the error in question. You need a tool that supports your vehicle to tell us more about what’s going on.

Attachments

• IMG_5011.jpeg
    IMG_5011.jpeg
    418.4 KB · Views: 42
As per your scan, your VCDS interface does not understand the error in question. You need a tool that supports your vehicle to tell us more about what’s going on.
Ok tell me how you want to do this , can it be done remotely by distance ?

The image looks off level on yours too.

I wonder if calibration really does level the image out. These are supposed to be supplied calibrated, so I'm not sure.

AliExpress camera, reproduction camera handle and generic camera module, poorly assembled. Only so much a calibration can do.

That's my thinking too.

The genuine Audi cameras are big money otherwise I'd just grab one of those and be sorted.

If anyone has a second hand genuine going for sale, let me know.

Wayne

I installed an AliExpress kit (Aidu) a year or two back, and like you the image was not level. Not as extreme as yours, but very irritating. It was a bit of a faff, but I opened up the handle and rotated the camera module a little by trial and error until the image was level, then wedged it permanently in place. I seem to remember I had to remove and refit the camera 3 times before I got it right. There was enough slack in the housing for the small amount of rotation needed in my case. More of a challenge if you need a lot of rotation, but I thought I’d mention it as a possible fix.

before and after pics below:

Attachments

• 8FE29694-90E7-4C63-91D4-CB47DF046891.jpeg
    8FE29694-90E7-4C63-91D4-CB47DF046891.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
  • 7F8129C9-FE21-4E85-A4FD-948BAF182F23.jpeg
    7F8129C9-FE21-4E85-A4FD-948BAF182F23.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
Reactions: Vas S3 8V sedan
Thanks, I'll have a look but getting that handle out is a real hard job.

Yes, removing the handle is a pain. Depressing the two hidden plastic clips at the ends of the handle was the hardest part for me, but I made up a simple tool which helped a lot. Basically just a piece of 1/8 inch rod with a right angle bend, stuck in a file handle. Photos attached:

Attachments

• F323D908-3AC2-41CC-8B42-D62DC742F4F8.jpeg
    F323D908-3AC2-41CC-8B42-D62DC742F4F8.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
  • 1D1CEA94-A7C6-4BB3-AE22-1314A420C2EA.jpeg
    1D1CEA94-A7C6-4BB3-AE22-1314A420C2EA.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
I can supply and fit a genuine OEM Audi camera. Happy to quote if I can get a reg.
seems folks are having issues with AliExpress or non genuine units.
I can say @DJAlix fitted my genuine one about 4-5 years ago and still works a treat and never had bother with it.
Best and most used retrofit on my car.

I'm waiting on a quote for a genuine camera.

Good thing I didn't get folding wing mirrors from AliExpress, they'll probably fold backwards.