Headlight Washer Help.

benjie

Reaction score
Swindon - home of the 'Magic' Roundabout.
I'm after some advice as I've never had headlight washers on a car before. I had my OH sit in the car and activate the washers the other day. Eventually the headlight washers popped out like they should do, but no washer fluid came out of them. It wasn't freezing and the fluid was diluted well, so I know it wasn't frozen or anything like that.

Does anyone have any advice on how I could go about finding out what the problem is?

Sounds like the jets are blocked as fluid is getting to them to pop them out the bumper.
You can pull the washer out of the bumper with your fingers then hold it out while you fiddle with the jets.

That should easy enough. Does the pressure from the pump push the nozzles out of the bumper?

I had to soak my rear washer nozzle overnight in vinegar a few months back as it was blocked (despite using filtered water!) Can I take off the nozzles of my headlight washers with relative ease to give them a soak?

It is the water pressure from the high pressure pump that lifts the washer stalks up and out against the restraining return spring action, once the jets have sprayed the stalks collapse down again. (high pressure pump only runs for a short period)

On some cars you can reach the fixings for the spray heads once the spray heads are eased slowly out fully. Maybe look at an on-line VAG part cat for clarification of what shape that assemble is and where its fixings are, that is what I tend to do.

Reactions: benjie