How many miles to expect from P zeros

Jassyo06

T-Cut King !
Reaction score
My car has done 10,600 miles, and it's never been driven hard and the tyres at the front have around 3mm of tread left the rears have 4 mm, so l feel as if they need changed very soon

Reactions: S1Pete, Bristle Hound and Jcbmally
My car has done 10,600 miles, and it's never been driven hard and the tyres at the front have around 3mm of tread left the rears have 4 mm, so l feel as if they need changed very soon
TBH @jassyo06 I'd be happy with that sort of wear considering how the car grips/performs. You'll get another couple of thousand mile out of them surely.

Reactions: Kondax
TBH @jassyo06 I'd be happy with that sort of wear considering how the car grips/performs. You'll get another couple of thousand mile out of them surely.
I don't ask much from the tyres mate l don't corner hard at all or fly around either... For example i have had over 23k miles from my last 2 cars tyres

Reactions: NevMan
I don't ask much from the tyres mate l don't corner hard at all or fly around either... For example i have had over 23k miles from my last 2 cars tyres
P-Zeros are a soft tyre though but I see your point when it's compared to what you have experienced in the past. Have your previous tyres been similar?

Reactions: Jassyo06
P-Zeros are a soft tyre though but I see your point when it's compared to what you have experienced in the past. Have your previous tyres been similar?
Last S3 had Conti’s 5,ST had Goodyear Eagle assy 2"s both had done over 20k miles before l changed them

Reactions: NevMan and Jcbmally
Maybe it was the extremely hot summer causing higher wear rate.
If you take it easy then I would have expected a bit more. Last car I had got 22k on the summers and that was a big heavy a6. I didn’t hang around either but that was on mich ps3.

Maybe it was the extremely hot summer causing higher wear rate.
If you take it easy then I would have expected a bit more. Last car I had got 22k on the summers and that was a big heavy a6. I didn’t hang around either but that was on mich ps3.
Weather in the summer could possibly be the reason mate, will change the fronts soon, they're only £265 fitted x2

Reactions: Jcbmally
@jassyo06 - Pretty good for P-Zero's mate
Not having had a S3 saloon I obviously can't comment on mileage for tyres
I can only compare with the P-Zero's I had fitted to my old B8 A4 S-line quattro petrol which I got similar mileages from as you've mentioned
Can't say I didn't drive the A4 'spiritedly' mind ...

Reactions: Jcbmally and Jassyo06
Weather in the summer could possibly be the reason mate, will change the fronts soon, they're only £265 fitted x2

Black circles is £111 each fitted.
Only reason I know is I was cleaning and putting away my summers yesterday and found a nail on one of them. Annoyingly tyre has only covered around 70 miles and fitted 2 weeks ago

Upload 2018 12 10 21 21 52

Just hit 10,600 myself - same as yourself- two new Generals on front - ( Continental Backing) Great Tyres.

Sounds like my driving style is similar to yours jassy, so I am disappointed if this is the kind of tyre life I can expect.
I've currently done around 2300 miles and haven't checked what tread depth is left at the moment....but will do tomorrow.

I’ve done about 6500 miles in my S3 saloon and noticed my P-Zero’s looking lower than I would expect for the miles covered. Would also be interested what others are getting.

Surprised by this, I've just had my first set of tyres changed after 23,000 miles at about 2.5mm on the fronts - do a fair bit of motorway miles but definifely don't drive Miss Daisy the rest of the time!

P Zeros are unfortunately notorious for high wear. They have a wear index of 220....Conti 5 are 280... the higher the number the better.

Reactions: Jcbmally
@jassyo06

I've got P-Zero's on mine mate and the wear rate is ridiculous !

I replaced the fronts at 6,500 miles and I have just had to replace all 4 at 13,000 miles.

They must be an incredibly soft tyre compund.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Jassyo06
@jassyo06

I've got P-Zero's on mine mate and the wear rate is ridiculous !

I replaced the fronts at 6,500 miles and I have just had to replace all 4 at 13,000 miles.

They must be an incredibly soft tyre compund.

Yeah mate but **** knows why they are OEM tyres, l can feel the car isn't as comfortable now as the suspension has more crash and thump on most road surfaces will get them changed on Saturday

Reactions: Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin
Have to agree with all the comments,when i had my RS3 i was concerned just how quick the Pirelli tyres were wearing.

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06
Just off the phone with tyre place... .he mentioned RO1"s what's the difference between them and AO1"s

Reactions: NevMan
Was hoping the wear rate would be a bit better on these(not counting my 70mile wear).
My mate had these on his a7(21”)and he managed almost 25k on a full set. He doesn’t hang around either and the a7 is a 2 ton bus compared to the a3/s3.

Yeah mate but **** knows why they are OEM tyres, l can feel the car isn't as comfortable now as the suspension has more crash and thump on most road surfaces will get them changed on Saturday

Funny you should mention that.
When I got all 4 replaced recently the car immediately felt more supple on the ride / suspension.

Just off the phone with tyre place... .he mentioned RO1"s what's the difference between them and AO1"s

I was confused with the many options on the pzero’s. R01 could be run flats.
There’s also one with SC and one without and AO and AO1
Let us know what you find out.

Have to agree with all the comments,when i had my RS3 i was concerned just how quick the Pirelli tyres were wearing.

They do get better wear than the Pirelli's fitted to F1 cars though :tearsofjoy: just :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: NevMan and Bristle Hound
Just checked my P Zeros.
Car has done 2306 miles and the wear is pretty much the same over all 4 tyres - 6.5mm +/- 0.25mm
The treadwear is marked as 280 and the tyre is A01, which I assume is an Audi specific fitment.
My previous car was fitted with Continental SportContact 6 tyres and at the same mileage the fronts had worn exactly 1mm more.
I am still disappointed by the wear rate on these Pirellis.
If I still have the car then I should be looking at changing around 11000 miles.

Last edited:
Surprised by this, I've just had my first set of tyres changed after 23,000 miles at about 2.5mm on the fronts - do a fair bit of motorway miles but definifely don't drive Miss Daisy the rest of the time!
I am surprised too.
You have the same car with same tyres, so even taking into account your motorway miles it's hard to understand how you can be getting at least double the life out of your tyres......especially considering I don't drive my car hard. :openmouth:

I am surprised too.
You have the same car with same tyres, so even taking into account your motorway miles it's hard to understand how you can be getting at least double the life out of your tyres......especially considering I don't drive my car hard. :openmouth:
Never in a million years would l get another 10k miles out of the fronts. . I am going put the poor tread wear on my car down to the very hot summer we had sick of forking out for this ****** car .... £1500 it's cost me in the last 6 weeks A more ordinary car the next time around

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan and Ron240
Never in a million years would l get another 10k miles out of the fronts. . I am going put the poor tread wear on my car down to the very hot summer we had sick of forking out this ****** car .... £1500 it's cost me in the last 6 weeks A more ordinary car the next time around

What did you get for £1600?

Sorry £1500
Road tax £450, service £200 insurance £600 ,, 2 tyres £265

Expensive month. Cars are money pits I’m afraid.
Probably not far off what I’ve spent in the last couple of months.
£800 winter wheels and tyres, insurance excess £400, and now I need a new tyre to replace my nearly new tyre at £111. I’ve only owned the car for 3 months.
At least you got 10k out your tyre, mines done 70miles. Might make you feel a bit better.

Sorry £1500
Road tax £450, service £200 insurance £600 ,, 2 tyres £265

Come on Jassy ... none of those are unexpected costs, surely you planned for them.
LOL road tax £450 though ... only £280 for my RS3 :smiley:
Plus that little lot all combined came to less than your voodoo paint upgrade :icon thumright:

Reactions: NevMan, Bristle Hound, Audib5fan and 2 others
My OE tyres lasted 9k miles! I put MPSS on which were still going 31k miles later!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan, Rolly12, Jassyo06 and 2 others
My OE tyres lasted 9k miles! I put MPSS on which were still going 31k miles later!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Yeah but you never put your foot down lol :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: NevMan and Jcbmally
Never in a million years would l get another 10k miles out of the fronts. . I am going put the poor tread wear on my car down to the very hot summer we had sick of forking out for this ****** car .... £1500 it's cost me in the last 6 weeks A more ordinary car the next time around

Last tyre change cost me north of £60k....easier to change the car than change the tyres :)

Seriously, car went with 13,600 on the clock and 5mm tread front and rear

Reactions: NevMan, Bristle Hound, Ron240 and 2 others

You don’t do ordinary jassy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Jcbmally
Last tyre change cost me north of £60k....easier to change the car than change the tyres :)

Seriously, car went with 13,600 on the clock and 5mm tread front and rear
Wait til you see what the porker costs you then.. . Then mate