How to fit Puddle Lights on the Front and Rear doors

I'll have to ask the dealership(122 miles from me) and then my local dealership about this - maybe they stopped fitting the standard ones at the factory to only see them get swapped out straight away for the ring lights, and the plug is actually behind the door card with the intention for the dealership to fit at PDI. Can't see why the ring lights were in the glove box if I was never supposed to have them. The S3 is meant to have those ring beams as standard spec. Will post what i'm told by the 2 dealerships and will ask Audi UK what to do next if the wiring plug isn't there e.g. if there's a plug in mini loom they need to supply me with.
I hope you get it sorted but I'm with St Michael on this that it sounds like you won't have any wires to plug the lights in and main dealers probably won't help you either (you might get lucky) - Retrofit like others have done may be your only option

S3 is supposed to have the Audi Rings still though

Best of luck

Reactions: STmichael
I hope you get it sorted but I'm with St Michael on this that it sounds like you won't have any wires to plug the lights in and main dealers probably won't help you either (you might get lucky) - Retrofit like others have done may be your only option

S3 is supposed to have the Audi Rings still though

Best of luck
My supplying dealership doesn't think the wiring will be there either, seeing as there is nocut out, which begs the question, why the hell did they supply them? Maybe mine is a partial kit car and I've got to finish it off myself? Rang Audi UK and they were as useless as expected. Suggested I get my local dealership to retrofit. I would have to pay or get the supplying dealership (125 Miles away) to cover the cost. Supplying dealership might be able to countercharge Audi for a "misbuild".

My supplying dealership doesn't think the wiring will be there either, seeing as there is nocut out, which begs the question, why the hell did they supply them? Maybe mine is a partial kit car and I've got to finish it off myself? Rang Audi UK and they were as useless as expected. Suggested I get my local dealership to retrofit. I would have to pay or get the supplying dealership (125 Miles away) to cover the cost. Supplying dealership might be able to countercharge Audi for a "misbuild".
All sounds standard I'm afraid - You're right no cut outs would suggest no wiring

Definitely keep hitting Audi UK customer services though, because I'm fairly sure that the S3 still showed Audi Beam as standard and the fact they've given you the lights confirms this - Definitely a misbuild

All sounds standard I'm afraid - You're right no cut outs would suggest no wiring

Definitely keep hitting Audi UK customer services though, because I'm fairly sure that the S3 still showed Audi Beam as standard and the fact they've given you the lights confirms this - Definitely a misbuild
Makes me wonder what else might be missing - don't suppose there's a historic spec list in place is there? Mine was built Feb 2023.

Unfortunately in the small print now it says something about spec changes and no guarantee. I’m hoping my edition 1 that I’m collecting tomorrow isn’t missing anything.

Unfortunately in the small print now it says something about spec changes and no guarantee. I’m hoping my edition 1 that I’m collecting tomorrow isn’t missing anything.
This is true and has always been there even in the day of brochures, however the fact they've given him the lights suggests an error somewhere along the line

Makes me wonder what else might be missing - don't suppose there's a historic spec list in place is there? Mine was built Feb 2023.
Only if you kept the configurator order really, but even then as Sam says spec changes etc

Looks like rocketwires do a pair of looms for £35. Then I can code in with my OBD11. Have got back to the dealership to check out the misbuild route. I'll check OBD11 - if the puddle lights are already coded, there's a slim hope yet that the loom is in there, just dangling - but VAG waste nothing, so seriously doubt it.

Just wondering what else might be missing. Anyone know what equipment should be standard fit for an S3 with Comfort and sound? I also have HBA specced, red calipers and 19" wheels - I can see I have those. Wireless phone charging?

Just wondering what else might be missing. Anyone know what equipment should be standard fit for an S3 with Comfort and sound? I also have HBA specced, red calipers and 19" wheels - I can see I have those. Wireless phone charging?
Wireless Phone Charging was an Option when I ordered mine in 2020 - I think that went though and was only on Vorsprungs - All that has changed again now though with the tech packs etc

Don’t think wireless phone charging will be there
I tried to add that option to my order only to be told it’s not available on any spec when I ordered my car

Don’t think wireless phone charging will be there
I tried to add that option to my order only to be told it’s not available on any spec when I ordered my car
I've had it on my last 3 VAG cars and found it to be pretty flaky - you've got to take the phone out of its case and if the phone moves around in the charging area, charging cuts in and out. Thought it was part of the comfort and sound pack (which I have) but might be mistaken.

Update on potential misbuild. My dealer has literally given me the brush off and said:

In May 2022 Audi announced supply restrictions on all A3 and Q3 models, which included Ambient door lighting front and rear and entry lights on the doors.

There has been restrictions on many models, but can't be a mis build as it was a stock car already built. Every A3 cross the range will have these restrictions, as by the plug in where door is.

I had asked if they could send me the looms and I would do it myself, no answer.

Looks like "Rocketwires' can supply the add on looms for £33 a pair, they manufacture them themselves. Any alternatives known? If not, I'll be on to Rocketwires.

Seems completely daft that they chuck a set of Audi beams in the glovebox, with no means to fit them. I wonder by doing tgat they fulfill the spec sheet "you got what the spec said, the spec sheet doesn't say they have to be operational"

I wonder whether they can get the beams but can't get either the looms or the original crappy puddle lights they swap out for the beams?

Last edited:
Just ordered a kit from Rocketwires to fit my Audi beams. Red lights were an extra tenner, so seemed rude not to.

Got my fitting instructions straight away, look simple enough, the consignment is apparently packed and ready to go with an RM 24Hr tracking number on it. If they do end up getting sent today and arriving tomorrow, I will probably fit over the weekend, after I wire up my dashcams.

Reactions: Sparks43
Just picked my Edition 1 up and everything is there’s as per the order.
Dealer had fitted the four rings lights too.

Just retrofitted my fronts - horrible job to do, see the "what have you done to your A3 today" thread. Some trim bits are ridiculously tight fitting, makes disassembly very difficult.

I managed to change the rear white puddle lights to the beam type yesterday along with the rear facing red lights for when the doors are open but was having issues in fitting the front red lights. They kept popping out. Got fed up and pulled the wires out and refitted the reflector. Just thinking about putting things away and swapped the left to right and they fitted fine. Now I have to refit the wires. Nice quick job for a Saturday morning.

I managed to change the rear white puddle lights to the beam type yesterday along with the rear facing red lights for when the doors are open but was having issues in fitting the front red lights. They kept popping out. Got fed up and pulled the wires out and refitted the reflector. Just thinking about putting things away and swapped the left to right and they fitted fine. Now I have to refit the wires. Nice quick job for a Saturday morning.
I'm presuming your red lights kept popping off/out because you haven't done the trimming work I had to do for mine. Right where the connector end would sit for the wiring, there is a hollow plastic area that impinges on it. A channel needs to be cut out of there, and you'll not be able to see and remove that area without taking the door card off. My door card was off anyway, to fit the Audi beam lights (as I had to add the whole loom for it to the door controller plug).

I'm presuming your red lights kept popping off/out because you haven't done the trimming work I had to do for mine. Right where the connector end would sit for the wiring, there is a hollow plastic area that impinges on it. A channel needs to be cut out of there, and you'll not be able to see and remove that area without taking the door card off. My door card was off anyway, to fit the Audi beam lights (as I had to add the whole loom for it to the door controller plug).
Yep, you’re right, I ended up modifying the plug on the light which worked a treat. It was hitting the plastic ‘lump’ on the door card. I didn’t take the door card off and did it all by fishing the new loom from the bottom to the top hole. Either way, working and looks great.

Reactions: monkeyhanger
I can confirm that there will be no wiring there.

If you have red warning lights on the end of the doors that light up when you open the door then its quite straight forward to add puddle lights - I can supply a piggy-back harness and light kit - you can add this kit without taking the door card off.

If the red warning light is just a blank plastic and doesn't light up then you will require a full lighting kit which consists of the harnesses, puddle light and red warning light - again something that we offer.

https://rocketwires.co.uk/online-shop/ols/products/door-lighting
hi
ive checked i have the red warning lights on the end of the doors , how much is it for the wiring Harness ?

Hi Dave, I have replied to your email :)

Last edited: