Imola Yellow Audi S3 - APR - TTE420 - Audi Tuner Featured April '16

You are doing a great job.. will be following.

have you got any sort or price list to get an idea for what is required to get that sort of figures?
Ive been thinking about an S3 for a while now but i couldnt live with it at standard bhp :D

APR TTE420 software provided by Awesome GTI
Revo Cold Air Intake
CTS throttle and turbo outlet pipes
Airtec Stage 2 Intercooler
Pipewerx 3" Downpipe & decat with Milltek Resonated exhaust
Runner Flap Delete
S3 Injectors (stock)
Autotech HPFP
DW65v LPFP
155bar FPRV

Reactions: Mario8P
APR TTE420 software provided by Awesome GTI
Revo Cold Air Intake
CTS throttle and turbo outlet pipes
Airtec Stage 2 Intercooler
Pipewerx 3" Downpipe & decat with Milltek Resonated exhaust
Runner Flap Delete
S3 Injectors (stock)
Autotech HPFP
DW65v LPFP
155bar FPRV
Lovely build

How hard is it to install that LPFP?
Any clue if it's better than having the RS3 LPFP + controller?

Drive safe with those pesky stock brakes lol

Lovely figures you got there! Congratulations

From looking at APR's TTE420 map page they say should have the LPFP upgraded

Lovely build

How hard is it to install that LPFP?
Any clue if it's better than having the RS3 LPFP + controller?

Drive safe with those pesky stock brakes lol

I didnt install it, Riverside Racing did in Liverpool, in prepartion for Revo 3.
The DW65v adds additional 265 litre per hour to the stock LPFP, and allows you to keep the pump prime on door open feature, which is lost with the RS3 setup.
I went this route as I was originally going Revo 3 with RS4 injecotrs and RS4 FPV, but as stated in my previous posts their map doesn't work well with the TTE420. The car ran like rubbish, see the logs I posted on a my previous updates.

Rick from Unicron recommend the RS3 LPFP and controller but as I already had a DW65v there was no point in changing my setup.
After a meeting with APR techs the DW65v was more than enough for their map.

Reactions: S3Alex and Mario8P
Tarox uprated pads and discs at the moment.
Recently sold RS4 8pot setup as required spacers which pushed wheel out too far.
Researching setups that work with my wheels.

I run the TTRS BBK on mine with standard pre-facelift alloys and 15mm spacers. Not sure if this would work with Rotors though.

You are doing a great job.. will be following.

have you got any sort or price list to get an idea for what is required to get that sort of figures?
Ive been thinking about an S3 for a while now but i couldnt live with it at standard bhp :D

S3 is a good basis for a quick comfortable and well made car.

If you can do without going beyond 440lbs then the options include the TTE hybrid or the APR Stage3 kit which will get you to around 440bhp but stay under the stock engines torque limits for between £4K to £7k depending on spec.

Going above that costs a lot more.

An engine build will be around £3k and if you add in parts like induction and exhaust manifolds plus a bigger turbo it will come to at least £10k done properly.
But you can get over 600bhp/540lbs for that.

Reactions: shadow1993
I run the TTRS BBK on mine with standard pre-facelift alloys and 15mm spacers. Not sure if this would work with Rotors though.
Think its the same size spacer for the Rotors too. I just don't like using large spacers as it messes with the suspension geometry when turning.
I've seen Vagbremtechnic do a TTRS caliper mounting kit to use the 345 disc, I wonder if this locates the caliper back further to allow for a smaller spacer.

Think its the same size spacer for the Rotors too. I just don't like using large spacers as it messes with the suspension geometry when turning.
I've seen Vagbremtechnic do a TTRS caliper mounting kit to use the 345 disc, I wonder if this locates the caliper back further to allow for a smaller spacer.

As far as I can remember the AP kit will fit under stock wheels and has small spacers if required.

May be worth a look...

Reactions: Dan-Jnr
Meant to add...there's a full set of dimensions and parts list downloadable on APs site.

Thanks Alex, the AP do a kit for the S3 too, looks like it only requires 3mm spacers too.

Well today I took my mate from work who has a C63 for a blast round the industrial estate.
He had one word to describe it, "f**king violent".
The car has pure urgency, the H&R ARB's can be felt working round the bends and roundabouts at full boost, and even the stock brakes with track pads and discs they still stop the car well from speed.
Absolutely love it, can't wait to get it on track next month.

Reactions: Alex_Wil and S3Alex
Glad you're enjoying it!

A big turbo really transforms the car from Stg2+,which is good,to something else entirely.
I've had a number of C63s drive up my boot,for whatever reason possesses them,and then disappear backwards when the little white hatch gets moving.
That always confuses them....

Reactions: grainqey, downtothebone, Mario8P and 2 others
I've just read this from start to finish, sick S3 mate she's looking mint! 423bhp with 437lbft must be insane!

I'm very jealous of your budget as I'll never be able to afford it unfortunately but I am going with a Stage 1 Revo remap and Revo Race CAI (Camcoated) next week which is a start. I will want to go Stage 2+ eventually but that won't be for another couple of years I imagine.

On top of the CAI, the only other hardware required for Stage 2+ to my knowledge is:
  • High Pressure Fuel Pump (£300)
  • Downpipe With De-Cat/Sports-Cat (£400 De-Cat)
  • RS4 Fuel Return Valve (£50)
  • Uprated Intercooler (£700)
  • Uprated Clutch (£500)
Is there anything else I'm missing? Are the uprated intercooler and clutch essential as I've seen people do one or the other / neither of them? I notice you haven't said anything about changing your Diverter Valve (unless I'm being blind!) so were you just running a stock DV for Stage 2+? I'd be tempted to go for the GFB DV+.

Thanks.

I've just read this from start to finish, sick S3 mate she's looking mint! 423bhp with 437lbft must be insane!

I'm very jealous of your budget as I'll never be able to afford it unfortunately but I am going with a Stage 1 Revo remap and Revo Race CAI (Camcoated) next week which is a start. I will want to go Stage 2+ eventually but that won't be for another couple of years I imagine.

On top of the CAI, the only other hardware required for Stage 2+ to my knowledge is:
  • Uprated Clutch (£500)
Is there anything else I'm missing? Are the uprated intercooler and clutch essential as I've seen people do one or the other / neither of them? I notice you haven't said anything about changing your Diverter Valve (unless I'm being blind!) so were you just running a stock DV for Stage 2+? I'd be tempted to go for the GFB DV+.

Thanks.
My 5p's worth would be:

Don't absolutely need the intercooler upgrade although it is useful for long runs or hot weather.
Clutch...at Stg2+ on a manual car it's essential,and I wouldn't bet on £500....you need to replace clutch and flywheel at the same time,and this will up the cost.

Rev D DV is fine for this.

Sachs organic is fine for most people,and avoids the need for a SMF clutch setup,which is kind of rattle at idle....mine sounds like a bag of bolts at idle,but is good for around 570lbs.

Reactions: HHS3
My 5p's worth would be:

Don't absolutely need the intercooler upgrade although it is useful for long runs or hot weather.
Clutch...at Stg2+ on a manual car it's essential,and I wouldn't bet on £500....you need to replace clutch and flywheel at the same time,and this will up the cost.

Rev D DV is fine for this.

Sachs organic is fine for most people,and avoids the need for a SMF clutch setup,which is kind of rattle at idle....mine sounds like a bag of bolts at idle,but is good for around 570lbs.

Thanks for your response S3Alex, it's much appreciated.

Handy to know that the intercooler isn't essential but still very beneficial to do. Cool I'll have a look at Sachs clutch and a flywheel cheers for that. I've currently got a Rev G which will suffice for Stage 1 but will look to go Rev D or GFB DV+ for Stage 2+ then.

570lbs!? Hopping over to your thread now!!

Reactions: S3Alex
Thanks for your response S3Alex, it's much appreciated.

Handy to know that the intercooler isn't essential but still very beneficial to do. Cool I'll have a look at Sachs clutch and a flywheel cheers for that. I've currently got a Rev G which will suffice for Stage 1 but will look to go Rev D or GFB DV+ for Stage 2+ then.

570lbs!? Hopping over to your thread now!!

I didn't do the intercooler until Stg3,and stuck with my old Forge DV which is still on the car now.

The Sachs is fine as long as you treat it with respect and don't do drag starts.
There are a few random failures to take into account,but overall they seem relatively uncommon,and mine lasted until the car was on a big turbo.

Reactions: HHS3
I didn't do the intercooler until Stg3,and stuck with my old Forge DV which is still on the car now.

The Sachs is fine as long as you treat it with respect and don't do drag starts.
There are a few random failures to take into account,but overall they seem relatively uncommon,and mine lasted until the car was on a big turbo.

Spot on thanks for the information, you've been a big help, looks like I need to start saving!

Just looking through your 49 page build thread, it's a great read.

Spot on thanks for the information, you've been a big help, looks like I need to start saving!

Just looking through your 49 page build thread, it's a great read.

My job here is to lead others down the same slippery path.

The great thing about this forum is whatever you want power-wise etc,someone will be able to help,and we all enjoy it.
If I was doing the same now,I'd have looked at the TTE turbos,and maybe done a few things differently,but the range of parts around now is way better than it was.
My car's "blog" kind of reflects the changes along the way.

Reactions: shadow1993 and Dan-Jnr
My job here is to lead others down the same slippery path.

The great thing about this forum is whatever you want power-wise etc,someone will be able to help,and we all enjoy it.
If I was doing the same now,I'd have looked at the TTE turbos,and maybe done a few things differently,but the range of parts around now is way better than it was.
My car's "blog" kind of reflects the changes along the way.

That's one thing I've noticed in particular about this forum is that there's someone who's already done what you want to their car and everyone is always very helpful and informative, unlike other hostile forums I've been on in the past!

The build threads are brilliant on here to as there's a whole range of different mods people have gone for which are great for getting ideas from. I've got a 3 page word document full of mods with links all thanks to ASN!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan-Jnr and S3Alex
Dan are you still on the RS4 injectors with the APR?

SAE correction is the European standard. I've seen 406bhp max with the S3 injectors and 130bar rail pressure. 426bhp with RS4 injectors - that was the turbo at the limit.

Bring it down for another power run compared to the Revo setup :)

Rick

• Uprated Clutch (£500)

Thanks.

Thanks for spending the time to read it all. The journey to where the car is now has taken 2 years of gradual upgrade and modifications as well as regular maintenance and service. When you go from stock to stage 1, you'll love the power increase. The from stage 1 to 2+ you'll think how much more power can be obtained. Enjoy it in stages, makes you appreciate each upgrade.

You can get an intercooler for less than £700, you just need to look around.
An uprated clutch will be be required and it'll be move than you have quoted for the Sachs setup, don't forget labour too.
I have the Rev D divert valve, does the job well and no gimmicks.

Reactions: HHS3 and S3Alex
Dan are you still on the RS4 injectors with the APR?

SAE correction is the European standard. I've seen 406bhp max with the S3 injectors and 130bar rail pressure. 426bhp with RS4 injectors - that was the turbo at the limit.

Bring it down for another power run compared to the Revo setup :)

Rick

I removed the RS4 injectors and put the S3 ones in with new seals.

Stock K04 turbo
Unicron with Revo 2 (S3 injectors) made 293bhp
RSR with Revo 2+ (S3 injectors) made 329bhp

TTE420 turbo
RSR with Revo 2+ (S3 injectors) made 375bhp
Awesome with Revo 2+ (S3 injectors) made 370bhp
Unicorn with Revo 2+ (S3 injectors) made 368.5bhp

RSR with Revo 3 (RS4 injectors) made 395bhp - car didn't feel right at all
Awesome with APR420 (S3 injectors) made 423bhp

Be very interesting to compare with the data you have on my car when it was Revo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex_Wil
I think Rick is the man to see for getting RS4 injectors working on the S3,but certainly with Revo software,the things smoke like an old battleship under full load.

Mine did get to 500bhp with the RS4s but never felt anywhere near as powerful or smooth in delivery as the current(admittedly much more expensive) setup does.

When you go from stock to stage 1, you'll love the power increase. The from stage 1 to 2+ you'll think how much more power can be obtained. Enjoy it in stages, makes you appreciate each upgrade.

You can get an intercooler for less than £700, you just need to look around.
An uprated clutch will be be required and it'll be move than you have quoted for the Sachs setup, don't forget labour too.
I have the Rev D divert valve, does the job well and no gimmicks.

Yeah I can't wait to get the map done Tuesday, it's a quick car standard but was missing a little umph for my liking so this will definitely quench that need (for now!).

I've had a look on AwesomeGTI and they do a Sachs clutch and LUK flywheel for £1,078.00 so I better get saving!

I've seen a lot of mixed reviews between the Rev D & G DV, even though Rev D is the latest design a lot of people still prefer the Rev G, for example R-Tech state you're better off with the G which is what I've currently got. Think I'll probably just go with the GFB DV+ for the sake of an extra £50 when it comes to Stage 2+.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Installed new steel braided brake lines from HEL. Gave the brake and clutch system a full flush with fresh fluid. Whilst the wheels were off changed the caliper spring clips for new and cleaned the calipers with WD40. These came up a treat. Before anyone says, I cleaned the disc with brake cleaner before putting the wheels back on,

Replaced the fuel filter too whilst the car was up in the air. This isn't a service item but I guess it hasn't changed since the car came of the factory line in May 2007.

e5ee06b3d32ab19dab82479d6b09e9d7.jpg

4d428d54870e5bc088f433ca85900d75.jpg

4dfdfb3c7bc8b70d94fb8b899ec05f67.jpg

fcf68422a390587c1ff4dffb751c47b3.jpg

ea06fcf3de9ef084e1e39baaca27d6c2.jpg

Reactions: Alex_Wil, Mario8P and leshkin
amazing inspiring build dan
let me know when youre heading to oulton park, I live 10 mins down the road would love to see the car in action

Reactions: Dan-Jnr
I had a 11 days off work over Easter so spent some time on the car.

Treated the car to new top mounts and bearings, with H&R springs (25mm) front and back.
I'll be replacing the dampers, and some worn bushes next time round.

I also spent a good bit of time giving the car a good spring clean inside and out.

This consisted of:
Chipex the stone chips
Clay barred the paint
Meguiars Step 1 paint clean with machine polisher
Meguiars Step 2 deep polish with machine polisher
Autogylm HD Wax applied by pad and elbow grease
and the usual tyre shine, interior vac, interior clean, and leather treatment etc.

Even managed to convince the Mrs to help buff the wax off. The shine on the paint is unreal.
Some exciting news to follow next month.

audi_s3_hr_springs.jpg

audi_s3_gf_wax.jpg

audi_s3_hd_wax2.jpg

audi_s3_hd_wax.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Boydie and HHS3
That just one coat of wax? Got an incredible shine. Looks much better now it's on lowering springs. Set of my09 rear lights would be on the list if it was me

That just one coat of wax? Got an incredible shine. Looks much better now it's on lowering springs. Set of my09 rear lights would be on the list if it was me

Thanks, yeah just one coat of Autogylm HD wax that was left to cure for 30 mins before buffing off.

Reactions: downtothebone and S.
Where are u based mate as i see u have been to riverside racing and unicorn? Be interested to see this car as im tempted to go tte420 in the future.

Nice feature buddy!! Got it through the door today. Good to see a fellow ASN member with the the 420 in the mag.

How you finding the APR specific map?? Wayne had promised me the APR map as a beta test as he wasnt happy publicising the fact mine was on a stage 2+ file when mine went in the mag last year but they dragged their heels and beat around the bush with me about it after the issue went public. I ended up going custom with lauch control and anti-lag anyway.

Whats next on the mod list??

Reactions: TTE Si
Great build mate, just had the APR TTE420 map loaded on mine yesterday by AMD, Cant wait to pick it up tomorrow! :D

Reactions: TTE Si
To share some info here. A quick look I have maybe 50+ dynos on file of all different cars on stock s3 injectors over 400PS on TTE420 on all different dynos. (but i didn't see a DD)

I dont agree on all Dyno Dynamics reading lower at all based on many thousands of results for many years not only on 2.0tfsi. And running my own car on in the past (2.7TT)
I heard same from USA from tuners for years owning Mustang dyno's saying they read lower and how only awhp counts and euro dynos are out, doubting many dynos ive shared. Yet all had to eat there words now as we beaten all there 1/4mile times 30-130 60-130 100-200 0-300 so on...

And this month ive had USA 399awhp TTE420 Mustang result on stock golf r injectors !

I think results are a combo of operator, cooling, atmospherics and other factors no matter the dyno make.

Did find on file a TTE420 RS4 injectors DynoDynamic result at 422hp 410ftlbs

Last edited:
Reactions: S. and S3Alex
To share some info here. A quick look I have maybe 50+ dynos on file of all different cars on stock s3 injectors over 400PS on TTE420 on all different dynos. (but i didn't see a DD)

I dont agree on all Dyno Dynamics reading lower at all based on many thousands of results for many years not only on 2.0tfsi. And running my own car on in past (2.7TT)
I heard same from USA from tuners for years owning Mustang dyno's saying they read lower and how only awhp counts and euro dynos are out, doubting many dynos ive shared. Yet all had to eat there words now as we beaten all there 1/4mile times 30-130 60-130 100-200 0-300 so on...

And this month ive had USA 399awhp TTE420 Mustang result on stock golf r injectors !

I think results are a combo of operator, cooling, atmospherics and other factors no matter the dyno make.

Did find on file a TTE420 RS4 injectors DynoDynamic result at 422hp 410ftlbs

Totally agree re the dyno.

If it's properly calibrated and operated,then the differences are small.

Re the S3 injectors,I think there is some variability at the top end of what these can flow,and add in some variability as to where the LPFP starts to top out,and that explains why some will make 400bhp,and some will go a bit more before getting limited.

Also,very few people(Rick for instance) seem able to tune for running the RS4 injectors on the the S3,that if you can get away on the stock injectors,it makes some sense.
For instance,with Revo mapping on mine,plus RS4 injectors,it always smoked.

Nice feature buddy!! Got it through the door today. Good to see a fellow ASN member with the the 420 in the mag.

How you finding the APR specific map?? Wayne had promised me the APR map as a beta test as he wasnt happy publicising the fact mine was on a stage 2+ file when mine went in the mag last year but they dragged their heels and beat around the bush with me about it after the issue went public. I ended up going custom with lauch control and anti-lag anyway.

Whats next on the mod list??

Thanks Doogie, I read your feature it was a good read.
The APR map is so much better than the Revo 2+/3 that I tried with the TTE420. The power delivery is constant and comes on full boost around 3.5k rpm and has a hard cut limit at 7k, which sounds ace. I was looking forward to the LC and Flat Shift features but they were shelved around the time I got the map. I would have liked them as an added bonus but to be honest it's not something I would use all the time, plus my clutch would have got a battering.

Next on my list is a brake kit to go under my 2 sets of 18inch wheels, don't want to use too big spacers, though but need something a bit better than the S3 setup. The S3 brakes with Tarox discs and pads do stop the car well, but last track day I went on they tend to give up after 15-20 mins on track with hard braking.

Reactions: Gregsy16 and TTE Si
Hi Dan have you got the link for your chip ex repair thread.
By the way awesome car mate I'm surprised i haven't seen it about.