Facelift Multi function switch bar

Potterswheel

S3 Compact Limo
Reaction score
I am in the throws of fitting front and rear parking sensors to my 2017 FL S3, originally I was only going to fit rear sensors and a camera but after discussions on this forum I am educated that I can't have a fully operational rear system without the front sensors and replacing the Multifunction switch bar.
Has anybody else done this mod? can anybody help me with the part number for the switch bar with the parking sensors switch but not the park assist switch ( I have already asked Crewe Audi via this forum and they are unable to help)

From what I can find online it'll be one of these part numbers. They all look to have the correct buttons you're after just not sure on the other differences.
8V0925301AS
8V0925301DJ
8V0925301NN

I'll pop my panel out tomorrow and see what part numbers are on it as it looks like this after I had the Parking System Plus retrofit on my MY17 S3 last year.
20200901_133903Small.jpg

Reactions: Potterswheel
I am in the throws of fitting front and rear parking sensors to my 2017 FL S3, originally I was only going to fit rear sensors and a camera but after discussions on this forum I am educated that I can't have a fully operational rear system without the front sensors and replacing the Multifunction switch bar.
Has anybody else done this mod? can anybody help me with the part number for the switch bar with the parking sensors switch but not the park assist switch ( I have already asked Crewe Audi via this forum and they are unable to help)
Confused. Genuine OEM reversing camera will work fine with rear only sensors, in fact works fine with no parking sensors at all...

Removed my switch panel this morning, pic below and it's part no. 8V0925301NN

20210203_080636Small.jpg

Confused. Genuine OEM reversing camera will work fine with rear only sensors, in fact works fine with no parking sensors at all...

Probably not helped by my confusion in the other post. From my understand the FL rear camera with rear sensors (no front sensors) doesn't show visual distance graphics on the MMI screen for rear sensors but rear camera works as intended. The visual distance graphics only work on FL when both front & rear sensors are installed along with rear camera. Can you confirm this @DJAlix?

Visual parking “radar” graphics only display if you have both front and rear sensors yes, but this does not stop the camera from working correctly.

Multifunction switch bar arrived today
View attachment 215339 View attachment 215340
Apparently it's off a 1.4 TSI

Just a heads up the MMI screen up / down button on your original is replaced with a screen on / off button as Audi made the screen fixed in place when driving during the 2018 model year. You might be able to swap it over if it is something that bugs you. I believe the switch operates the same on both.

Just a heads up the MMI screen up / down button on your original is replaced with a screen on / off button as Audi made the screen fixed in place when driving during the 2018 model year. You might be able to swap it over if it is something that bugs you. I believe the switch operates the same on both.

So, I had noticed that the legend was different, but assumed that it would operate the same, the legend won't bother me I don't think but losing the ability to tuck it away may.
Has anyone ever had the switch bar to bits and is a 'swap' possible?

So, I had noticed that the legend was different, but assumed that it would operate the same, the legend won't bother me I don't think but losing the ability to tuck it away may.
Has anyone ever had the switch bar to bits and is a 'swap' possible?

This thread is related to Homelink but they retrofit a button to the switch pack. Gives you a nice write up on removing the switches:

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/how-to-blank-dash-button-mod-for-garage-remote-control.336027/

@Harvey how does yours operate as I think your car is similar age to mine?

I too had the same dilemma, swap the button or just leave it as my MMI opens/closes as my FL S3 is Dec 16. I decided to just leave the button but I might swap it one day as I prefer the earlier arrows. Hadn't realised from 18 they made the MMI screen fixed, rarely drive with it up myself.

@MarttiMat that is a great how too I think it should be on the guides thread, it would fit many uses.
Just shows the power of the search tool.

I too had the same dilemma, swap the button or just leave it as my MMI opens/closes as my FL S3 is Dec 16. I decided to just leave the button but I might swap it one day as I prefer the earlier arrows. Hadn't realised from 18 they made the MMI screen fixed, rarely drive with it up myself.

You can thank us in the states for that. Starting in MY 2018 all cars sold stateside had to meet a time requirement to display the backup camera image. In the 8Vs case, the time it took to power up the screen and display the camera image was outside the 2 second window of the new law. Audi's solution was to then lock the screen in the fixed position to meet the criteria. Here is the excerpt from the law:

"Each vehicle shall display a rearview image displaying a specified field-of-view and test object image size. The response time for image display must be within 2 seconds of the vehicle’s direction selector being placed in reverse. The image cannot be displayed after the backing event is completed. The image shall remain visible unless the driver modifies the view, or the vehicle direction selector is removed from the 7 reverse position. The rear visibility system must default to the rearview image required at the beginning of each backing event regardless of any modifications to the field-of-view the driver previously selected. Lastly, the rear visibility system must meet the field-of-view and test object image size requirements after specified Corrosion, Humidity, and Temperature exposure."

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/tp-111-v01-final_tag.pdf

@MarttiMat that is a great how too I think it should be on the guides thread, it would fit many uses.
Just shows the power of the search tool.

I thought that myself. I came across it when I was looking to install the Homelink kit in my 8V. I am now interested in looking for white LEDs as the Homelink kit came with red ones and my facelift has white button lighting. The work goes on! Cheers.

Reactions: Harvey
Inspired !!!!!
Already thinking up uses for the 'spare' switches !
Rear PDC multifunction switch s

Reactions: MarttiMat
So, stripped and swapped the switch over the weekend, this lockdown is great!
Multi function switch both stripped s
who needs lego?
Having done a complete stripdown according to the guide which was BRILLIANT!!!!!!****** I can now see that Changing the switch cover would be quite achievable without a complete stripdown (@Harvey) you just need to remove the switchbar, flip the chrome bezzel off the front and then remove the cover carefully using 2 small Jewelers screwdrivers (I don't know how I have ended up with 2 the same size) once you have sussed what is going on it is quite an easy operation.

oopse! intended to attach an image
Multifunction switch bar rocker and button removal 1 s
I have shown the tray removed for clarity but you actually have to do this with the switch in the bar anyway
If anyone needs any parts for the multifunction switch, let me know as I now have one with all the parts I have swapped over missing, I now have all the switches operational ready for some Arduino magic when I get round to it - watch this space!

@Potterswheel I took the plunge & swapped my button front :)

Copied from my S3 diary...

I decided to take a punt and swap over the button cover for the MMI screen as myretrofit last year used the later button bar with the screen on/off logo and not the early up/down version.

20210209_180300Small.jpg

A careful, gentle and then more forceful level under the button using one of my plastic pry/trim tools soon had the job sorted. Looking much more period correct for my MY2017 S3 with roll up/down MMI screen.

20210210_161429Small.jpg

Well done that man, I didn't see that one !!!!!

On the subject of your diary do your aftermarket mudflaps on the rear keep the dirt out of your back bumper? I am about to refit my rear bumper and will be looking at something to try and stop the car getting heavier . why reinvent the wheel???

I've not noticed any muck build-up & really like the mudflaps, they come recommended. I always hose the front & rear inner arches when washing so haven't really noticed muck around that area. I've not had the rear bumper off so not sure about lurks behind, eek!