New wheels?? Cant Decide!!

A3_Turbo

Swaying towards IHI....
Reaction score
Had my Fuel 5 Black with chrome lips on my car for a while now and fancy a change maybe something OEM?

Has any-one maybe got a pic of an A3 on 17" S3 wheels in black?

Thinking of maybe getting a used set of S3 wheels and getting them powdercoated in black?

What you reckon?

Cheers

The TT v6 wheels look good or the TT cups in black with the polished lip.

I have TT comps that look good, look rubbish in pictures but everyone says they look amazing when they see them in real life.

I agree on TT V6 wheels, something different.

OR what about the BBS LM copies you can get for £800 on eBay?

Go weigh em. Anythign is heavy next to LM's as they are one of the lightest wheels.

But long answer short no.

Modern manufacturing processes means replica wheels are very similar weights and similar materials, only the finish seems to suffer these days.

I've had 4x buckled BBS wheels on the Mk2, and only large scuffs on the RS4 reps.

Fair enough, Any-one maybe got a pic? Only reason i ask is that you can get the S3 OEM's fairly cheap didnt want to spend loads on wheels rather spend it on other things thats all.

TT comps do look good too must admit i have a silver car though with tinted headlights tinted windows etc so i think black wheels would suit best?

Jason

Here's my TQ on TT V6's

DSC00397-1.jpg

Not sure whether these would suit an A3?? They are 17" Santa Monica's which come on the MK4

1703_1.JPG

Dave_Bayern said:
Go weigh em. Anythign is heavy next to LM's as they are one of the lightest wheels.

But long answer short no.

Modern manufacturing processes means replica wheels are very similar weights and similar materials, only the finish seems to suffer these days.

I've had 4x buckled BBS wheels on the Mk2, and only large scuffs on the RS4 reps.

Personal experience I guess, Ive seen loads of buckled replicas in the past, more so recently too, metal just doesnt seem as resiliant on alot of them

And Ive stoved a Raddo into a kerb at 40/50 and manged not to buckle my BBS, most of the cars Ive owned have had them and not had any problems ever with them (had RSs/RMs/CHs/RXs/RAs)

I always liked those Santa Monicas when I worked at VW, plus the spoke inserts can be colour-coded should you so wish

V6 TiTty wheels do it for me tho

im not keen on the v6 tt wheels i think they look like dodgy s3 reps,only my opinion of course

Not too Keen on the V6 TT wheels i have to say,

Would love some porsche style wheels think they look the ********, but you'd be paying loads for them i guess?

Could i perhaps have a pic with an A3 on TT comps, And maybe black S3 wheels?

Cheers

1334535494a5390188020l.jpg

1334535494a4755993514l.jpg

That's what's on it at the moment, Do i leave them as they are maybe get a refurb on them and get the lip polished a bit more and wack some 20mm spacers on them? Or ditch them for something OEM?

Hmmm...

Id be tempted to change the centres to silver, all you need to is pop down to Halfords and see the amount of chavvy wheels with black centres up on the wall

Always liked that style but just not in black

no don't change the centers to silver! then they will look like even more numerous amounts of wheels trying to look like bbs rims.. if i were you. i'd just save for what you really want.. i.e. porsche rims. don't skimp on cost for something you like a little bit..

Im looking for some pics of S3 in black or archrite aswell, i wanted some 18 S4 but u some adaptors and there too expensive

A3_Turbo said:
I was fed of the big ugly F wish id never bought them now but that was a year ago,

Jason

ohh do you mean the center caps? or the black spokes??!

i was on about the spokes..

and don't wish you'd never bought them.. because you can still sell them on.. and equally. they look WAY better than the standard a3 rims..

Ive just got TT 6spoke 17"s. and had them sprayed mettallic black. IMO i think they look wicked, although they are on my black a3 not silver. OH and only cost me £250 fully refurbed:) pics to follow when my pc works better!

josh

its dark and car is stinkin atm but will try andget some up in the next few days!!

josh

They look amazing they're for sale in the classifieds section i believe would have had them myself but think josh wants 1300 for them?

Are they still up for sale? i was interested in them too but a little pricey for me.

Yes they are still for sale! i was originally asking that but am willing to take less.

offers welcome;)

josh

Here are some quick piccys of the wheels, apologies for poor photo angles ( cant be ***** to move car out of the drive) and how dirty the car is (getting washed tomorrow ,honest!) lol

DSCF1768.jpg

DSCF1770.jpg

DSCF1771.jpg

Will get some better pics next week when the car is clean and im not missing a centre cap lol.

josh

Sorry mate i think they look better as they were!

Why did u get rid of the merc rims they look sooo much better!

Jason

Fair enough, each to their own. these are only winter wheels but i like them more than i thought i would.

main reason im getting rid of the merc rims is that im going ko3s and needed to free up some cash, plus these wheels dont look as bad when they are dirty as i havent got time to be washing the car twice a week when its dark at 5!!

Also, i get bored quickly so no point in keeping the merc rims as ill find something different i want by next summer lol!!

And just got to say, new wheels do look better in the flesh lol.

josh

Cheers mate! thats the look i was going for!

Its on fk coilys so not too sure but i think its around 50-60mm.

Cant really say unless someone has the standard arch to wheel centre size or similar.

josh

bouncer--daz said:
They look too small IMO... are the 17's?

yes they are, was worried about that but as they are black you dont notice the size of the wheel too much as it blends in with the tyre.

josh

Sorry for the hijack. Joshw, have you gat any more pics of your exhaust. I'm thinking of putting a new'un on mine and yours looks good! What make is it?

Josh mate , i don't think they look too small! it all looks perfectly proportioned good tyres too got some of them on mine :D but what you need to do is get some tyre shine on the tyres ,will do a whole world of good !

annnd. do you get any rubbing from that set up..?

sorry mate no more pics of exhaust. its a blueflame cat back. its for the mk4 golf so the tailpipes sit higher and then cut the bumper to fit them. although i slipped and cocked it up a bit so will have to get a new lower valance.

And yes i know it needs tyre shine lol, got loads, just havent had a chance to wash the car yet, will be done tomorrow!
it rubs slightly on front but its only catching the plastic arch lining so no worries, having the front end sprayed as soon as insurance get their **** into gear so im gonna have the front arches rolled just to be safe!

josh

im not keen on those wheels i think they look like halfords hub caps but each to their own.