Next model A3

hello guys!

Have just arrived from an Audi dealer, and they told me due to WLTP so many motors are under regulation.

I'm thinking about changing my 2013 S3 8V for a new one, so the surprise was Audi is going to change the HP from S3 to 300 due to emission regulations...

I also asked if it would affect other engines, but for example RS3 is under regulation, but will keep the same HP (400)

Is that all they're changing on the car? I really hope they aren't going to use the exhaust on the US models as it doesn't sound as good as the models here in the EU.

I had an ep3 and accord type r that was tweaked.
Fn2 was not a good type r especially after ek9 and ep3. That’s when I stopped buying hondas when the fn2 came out.
Only problem was launch but once moving powerful fwd were ok. Driven a civic with 400+ bhp and it was a right laugh apart from launching it.
You mean the civic became more mature ie when they introduced the FN2 yeah it had only 3 bhp more than the ep3 but it was overall a far better car.... The ep3 was a boy racers wet dream come true back in the day lol

I have driven a MK2 Focus RS and yes it didn't suffer axle tramp it just spun the front wheels up instead, sounded awesome though :grinning:
Fast becoming a collectors car. Get a good one, and it’ll make you some money!

You mean the civic became more mature ie when they introduced the FN2 yeah it had only 3 bhp more than the ep3 but it was overall a far better car.... The ep3 was a boy racers wet dream come true back in the day lol
It was softer and less hardcore. Dc2 is still my favourite.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Is that all they're changing on the car? I really hope they aren't going to use the exhaust on the US models as it doesn't sound as good as the models here in the EU.

I hope too. I am about to change mine but I don’t like the way they are doing thing. I think the only change they will make is a remap for decreasing the horsepower, but maybe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, looking at a lot of them now - if you want B&O you have to choose the comfort and sound pack which includes advanced key. I’m not fussed about advanced key but would want B&O, stupid you can’t have it on its own!

It's so while the car thieves drive of in your new car, thanks to Keyless go, they have a quality sound system to listen to.

Audi thinks of everything !!!!

Reactions: Tom.H, AlS3BE and NevMan
I hope too. I am about to change mine but I don’t like the way they are doing thing. I think the only change they will make is a remap for decreasing the horsepower, but maybe...

If it is just that I'm assuming it won't affect the sound of the car?

It's so while the car thieves drive of in your new car, thanks to Keyless go, they have a quality sound system to listen to.

Audi thinks of everything !!!!

Ye always look on the bright side of life.......eh.....lol

Reactions: NevMan
This is apparently the next gen A3

a1d3ecad95e4733c73f9713b30394e4e.png

87c328ac7e5c0a06788751d126170445.png

I actually quite like it. But might also look at the next gen A1 which is almost A3 size anyway:

cd3be5d70787fb2f69cf8b6f2a484cb5.png

5082247f6da531f9f401539e1373902f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If these are what the new A3 will look like then I for one will be more than happy, especially with the interior and dash.

Where did the pictures come from?

I actually quite like it. But might also look at the next gen A1 which is almost A3 size anyway:

The pictures came from the German YouTube channel Auto Bild, which is usually accurate. The A1 pictures are confirmed, I’ve seen several variations on the A3 but I believe these to be genuine as they were alongside the spy shots and the light cut outs and body lines tied in. I suspect the wheels are photoshopped though.

Looks good.

However, if I get another Audi it will probably be the new A1.

Looks good.

However, if I get another Audi it will probably be the new A1.

After seeing A3 prices go up recently and the fact the new A1 is the same size as the old mk 5 Golf, I agree.

Reactions: KenL

Well if i am totally honest ...

I’m not overly keen inside or out :blink:

The outside is a bit fussy & the inside looks a bit weird ! .... the centre console doesn’t look right & I’m not keen on the really high air vents.

The A1 on the other hand looks funky & cool :icon thumright:

Hopefully the A3 / S3 will improve with final renders :yes:

Reactions: NevMan, Tom.H, Pook and 1 other person
Think I prefer the current look to be honest. Just looks like a worse version of that A1. When you compare those two picture it looks like the A3 is an A1 and the A1 is an S1 or something.

Have to wait and see, be interesting to see what the new S3 will look like. Hope theres still a full chrome grill look.

Reactions: Kondax
Have to agree. Think the new A3 looks like a distorted A1. Would rather get an S1

Reactions: Muttley75
Think I prefer the current look to be honest. Just looks like a worse version of that A1. When you compare those two picture it looks like the A3 is an A1 and the A1 is an S1 or something.

Have to wait and see, be interesting to see what the new S3 will look like. Hope theres still a full chrome grill look.

Apparently they’re reserving Chrome for the higher spec models. Poverty spec Audi’s will get black trim.

Apparently they’re reserving Chrome for the higher spec models. Poverty spec Audi’s will get black trim.

Ironic given people with chrome want to change it to black.

The term poverty spec is a bit distasteful - no?

I thought it was quite humorous and I was being ironic given Audi’s over-inflated prices whereby even the well-off middle classes can’t afford to tick all the options. If I’ve caused offence, none was intended. Such is the precious world in which we now live.

Reactions: Scotty75, NevMan, Kondax and 3 others

I've ordered mine with the chrome as I personally prefer it to the black. I think it breaks up the colour nicely, looks a bit more classy and makes it a little easier to tell the difference from the normal A3.

Reactions: TYb

Hey I like my chrome, Navara really suits it. Now none of you better come and steel my shiny bits!!!

Reactions: KenL
I like chrome too. I owned 5 MINIs prior to this A3.

Middle-classes is also distasteful ;-)

Reactions: TYb
I like chrome too. I owned 5 MINIs prior to this A3.

Middle-classes is also distasteful ;-)

Gah! Ok comrade!

Reactions: TYb and KenL
Off-topic (but I’m the OP so it doesn’t matter) has anyone successfully negotiated a lower APR on a PCP deal or are those set in stone?

In my experience dealers won’t (or can’t) budge on those and they’re also very reluctant to offer any discount - particularly if there’s a manufacturers deposit contribution.

A VW dealer told me they can pick from a choice of a higher or lower APR but that’s it, there’s no other flexibility. Not sure if the same applies with Audi?

Off-topic (but I’m the OP so it doesn’t matter) has anyone successfully negotiated a lower APR on a PCP deal or are those set in stone?

In my experience dealers won’t (or can’t) budge on those and they’re also very reluctant to offer any discount - particularly if there’s a manufacturers deposit contribution.

A VW dealer told me they can pick from a choice of a higher or lower APR but that’s it, there’s no other flexibility. Not sure if the same applies with Audi?

are you going into your dealers with another quote that DOES have a discount? need something with you to get the ball rolling regarding discounts I found.

If you are getting a deposit contribution then I doubt they can lower the APR. Audi rate seems higher than most.

Best to try and get dealer to match a quote from the likes of orange wheels or car wow and push them for a higher trade in if you have one.

The terminology has been in common use on internet car forums for many years. :)
It is meant to be a witty way to describe a base model, but this being the internet some will undoubtedly take offence. :innocent:

Reactions: Pook, Paul finch, KenL and 2 others
I was told HP is down to 300, but Torque is up slightly and 0-60 is now 4.5 instead of 4.6 :shrug:

I was told HP is down to 300, but Torque is up slightly and 0-60 is now 4.5 instead of 4.6 :shrug:

New emissions regs. Perhaps they’re using the Clarkson Formula. More power = less effort & faster time to the desired speed = fewer emissions?

Reactions: oli356, Ron240 and TYb
Yeah I was told because of the new gearbox theyre using, the car is slightly faster. As long as the car sounds the same im not bothered, unless of course they improve the sound which I won't complain about.

Reactions: mb127
Perhaps they’re using the Clarkson Formula. More power = less effort & faster time to the desired speed = fewer emissions?
I know its meant to be funny but there is a certain amount of truth in this. :)
Everybody knows the highest gears can return the best fuel economy, but how long you take to get there can have an effect on the overall result. Assuming a manual gearbox accelerate very gently and you will be holding onto the lower gears for longer than you need to without labouring the engine which will have a detrimental effect on fuel consumption on the way to your cruising speed....but accelerate too quickly and the same could be said.
Its not simply about changing at a certain revs either, it's the pressure applied on the throttle also.
I've had this conversation quite a few times with my dad - I tell him he accelerates much too gently therefore taking longer than is necessary to get into top gear where the engine is most efficient.....but then there are other drivers who virtually floor it in the lower gears, so this is not ideal either.
Plus add in a more powerful engine is less stressed accelerating at a certain rate compared with a small low powered one.
I've often wondered exactly where the sweet spot is.
The Stronic gearbox changes up too early in Auto with a very light pressure, but hangs on too long with a heavy pressure.

Sorry I went off on a tangent there.... :D

Last edited:
Yeah I was told because of the new gearbox theyre using, the car is slightly faster. As long as the car sounds the same im not bothered, unless of course they improve the sound which I won't complain about.

I was told the same, slightly less HP but quicker to 60 due to WLTP

The reason I’ve ordered an S3 is because I’d ordered an A4 back in May and it was delayed because of this damn WLTP.

Coming from my current MK7 GTI I’m glad I chose the S3 - it’s an upgrade in power and quality and definitely exhaust sound. (Had to get a Remus exhaust to wake up the GTI) Like you say, I hope they don’t get rid of the crackles and pops with the new “map” on the latest ones.

Reactions: Mythos

The reason I’ve ordered an S3 is because I’d ordered an A4 back in May and it was delayed because of this damn WLTP.

Coming from my current MK7 GTI I’m glad I chose the S3 - it’s an upgrade in power and quality and definitely exhaust sound. (Had to get a Remus exhaust to wake up the GTI) Like you say, I hope they don’t get rid of the crackles and pops with the new “map” on the latest ones.

I also hope they don't get rid of the crackles and pops... Im just a child haha

I'm going from a 140hp 2.0tdi A3 8P to a new S3, so it will be quite a change for me

I also hope they don't get rid of the crackles and pops... Im just a child haha

I'm going from a 140hp 2.0tdi A3 8P to a new S3, so it will be quite a change for me

Pretty sure I’m going to order a resonator delete pipe before I take delivery so I can enhance the sound

I’m 38 and still such a child also

Reactions: NevMan

I will be gutted if they change the sound, it's one of the main reasons why I chose it over the other options I had on my car shortlist. If they say they're changing the sound I'd rather cancel my new order and look for a pre-owned one instead.

Weird, to me at least, why people are so obsessed with the sound of a car. Any car that is loud and that sounds "boy racer like" is not something that would be attractive to me.

My Cooper S popped a bit on the over run and I found that slightly embarrassing -)

Reactions: Twizzler and Muttley75
Weird, to me at least, why people are so obsessed with the sound of a car. Any car that is loud and that sounds "boy racer like" is not something that would be attractive to me.

My Cooper S popped a bit on the over run and I found that slightly embarrassing -)
Each to his own, I guess :shrug:

Reactions: Pook