Rattle but not sure

Frankw88

Reaction score
Hi all
New to the forum
Recently purchased an Audi A5 s line 3.0 2012 7 speed s tronic auto facelift plate Quattro with 78000 miles with a full Audi service history it’s due a service and gearbox oil change in 3500 miles
Never had an Audi before
On startup there’s like a rattle noise for about 2 seconds which go’s???
secondly there’s like a slight rattle from the gearbox area I think but not sure……. U can here this when u Rev it and it dies Down to idle
Apart from this it’s a lovely car any ideas what these could be?
Do have a video but can’t put it on here lol
thanks For any help?

"On startup there’s like a rattle noise for about 2 seconds which go’s???" That's your timing chains at the back of the engine. They have oil tensioners that keep tension on the chain. Upon startup there is no tension, which then builds rapidly as oil is then pumped through the system. My car with the same engine has 124k on it and does the same. If the chain rattle continues for say 5-6 seconds, then it's potentially in need of a timing chain service (that's an engine out job). Keep an ear out going forward, it should be fine at that mileage.

The auto transmissions are a mystery to me due to no experience with them.

Ok great thanks for confirming this vappy
Also when I’m braking the car vibrates lol would this be bad discs?

Almost certainly. You probably have steering wheel vibration most intense at 60-70MPH? Unless you go faster, of course. Fronts will be the main culprit, although your rear discs may also be warped and cause overall vibrations. It'll be a full disc and pad change realistically. Any left over steering wheel wobble at high speeds after you get your discs changed will be down to wheel balance, then wheel bearing.