Report RS3 TTRS brake problems

Well Ive never used mine on a track, I drive to and from work which is basically a straight road for 60 miles with the odd round about. Just because YOU havent had any issues doesnt mean the problem doesnt exist.
Like I said, ive been told by audi yes there is a problem with the wavy discs and warping due to heat. The round discs are good for higher temperatures which is what they will be fitting. They admit there is a issue in my eyes then. They are saying down to external influeneces but like I said Ive not been on a track or driven it stupidly hard. I reckon if you had to do a emergency stop on a motor way hard on the pedal that alone would distort the front right disc.
Any way..... im sorted ( for now ) so happy days :)

Right and those who hasn`t had warped discs doesn`t want to understand that quite a lot of us has had it. It´s like many are saying that they have squeeling brakes is totally off for me because my brakes doesn`t squeel at all and probably it stays like that. That doesn`t meen other haven`t any problems with it and I understand the frustration. Some of us are thinking differently and probably they aren`t gonna change just seeing their own problems as important, strange world.

I've had my hands on so many RS3's now and NONE, when re-fitted with EBC Redstuff brake pads with STD brake discs both round and wavy continue with ANY of reported brake issues.

It is an interesting one but for sure EBC Redstuff brake pads - and EBC UK don't recommend 'em as a 1 to 1 swap - are a sure fire fix.

I do practice what I preach and have EBC Redstuff brake pads fitted front and rear on my own Audi RS3 and I love 'em; and have zero OEM brake pad issues...

I always end up kicking myself for getting involved in threads on brake problems and warped discs, but this one, I shall ride on the back of... even though I shall regret it when I hit the send button!

There is a guy called Carroll Smith he has pages and pages on the internet as a race driver, engineer and brake designer - https://www.google.fr/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=qQ94WO6nIOr-8AeAsYWYDg#q=carroll+smith . He is regarded by all in the industry - except it appears Audi, who do not consult him - and makes a lot of sense in his papers on brake problems, especially when it comes to the phenomenen of warped discs. He goes to great pains to reason it all out with his emphasis on 'the right pad for the right style of driving for the disc involved'. http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

Reading all the comments on RS3 brakes, there is definitely an issue - except that is when people such as 45bvtc have discovered that Redstuff pads seems to do the trick! I use Redstuff front and back too, and without any trouble. I have another car, with slightly more power than the RS3 that pulsated like mad using Akebono brake pads, but when the discs were cleaned and mated with Redstuff pads, brakes as smooth as the proverbial.

Whether co-incidence or not, it does appear that Redstuff might just be 'the right pad'. My frustration is with Audi and the dealers, especially the dealers for being so dumb and dismissive. Surely they must keep a record of how many brake systems they have fitted and equally kept a record of how often systems are replaced on individual cars to realise that all this can be sorted by a little bit of research?

Reactions: 45bvtc and Spaceman_RS3
I always end up kicking myself for getting involved in threads on brake problems and warped discs, but this one, I shall ride on the back of... even though I shall regret it when I hit the send button!

There is a guy called Carroll Smith he has pages and pages on the internet as a race driver, engineer and brake designer - https://www.google.fr/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=qQ94WO6nIOr-8AeAsYWYDg#q=carroll+smith . He is regarded by all in the industry - except it appears Audi, who do not consult him - and makes a lot of sense in his papers on brake problems, especially when it comes to the phenomenen of warped discs. He goes to great pains to reason it all out with his emphasis on 'the right pad for the right style of driving for the disc involved'. http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

Reading all the comments on RS3 brakes, there is definitely an issue - except that is when people such as 45bvtc have discovered that Redstuff pads seems to do the trick! I use Redstuff front and back too, and without any trouble. I have another car, with slightly more power than the RS3 that pulsated like mad using Akebono brake pads, but when the discs were cleaned and mated with Redstuff pads, brakes as smooth as the proverbial.

Whether co-incidence or not, it does appear that Redstuff might just be 'the right pad'. My frustration is with Audi and the dealers, especially the dealers for being so dumb and dismissive. Surely they must keep a record of how many brake systems they have fitted and equally kept a record of how often systems are replaced on individual cars to realise that all this can be sorted by a little bit of research?

Thats fair enough, and hopefully with my new discs that can withstand higher temperatures feom what audi have told me ill be fine. But for safe measure I have a set of redstuff pads waiting to go in aswell.

What annoys me is when people just seem to dissmiss other people and twll them they are wrong just because they dont believe in something or have had the problem themself.
Yes the brake pads are a hug contribution to the issue but.... it doesnt mean that the wavy design discs have a flaw in that they cant take much heat before warping.
Even Audi put a brake roller on it and said it is 'warped'.
I also come from the 'motorsport' world so I know a little bit. Enough to know if a disc is flat or not. So for those that dont believe you can warp those discs on normal roads then fine. But you havent got to dissmiss those that try to turn to help on here or share problems. For those that have experienced it and are dealing with the dealership currently.. there is an answer as I have been told and am getting the round discs fitted next weds.

Peace :)

Reactions: 45bvtc
Just because YOU havent had any issues doesnt mean the problem doesnt exist.

Any way..... im sorted ( for now ) so happy days :)

But Swipe, I have had the issues on both my original and upgraded Audi brakes.

And I've experienced low speed brake squeal and vibration - warped disc, so I believe you and any others having issues 100%

Having had my hands on these cars for 5-years now I've yet to find the common denominator as some cars do and some cars just don't. The only thing that does seem to work is Redstuff.

I've also tried Redstuff on both my TT and A1 and they just don't work for me, back to OEM.

But on the RS3, well, they just do; I fitted mine (front and rear) in May 2014 and have been promoting 'em here on ASN ever since.

That you're going round discs and Redstuff I believe is the end of your problems and you'll love your car for what it is a truly fabulous motor car.

Enjoy...

Reactions: Swipe18

I'm with Hal here 100%. Fortunately I do have a very good relationship with Stafford Audi Service and Technical and with my own RS3 have been able to explore alternative solutions while providing them and Audi UK with documented feedback.

Truth is that ALL dealers have their own rational when it comes to offering service; I've know some replace discs and pads readily and others not, it's all down to the dealer.

It's also true that a dealer will not do anything other that that authorised by Audi UK and for sure Audi UK will not do anything other than that approved by Audi GmbH, and that I've had from the MD of Audi UK with whom I had a very good relationship while resolving my own issues back in 2014.

Having been a Lotus owner driver since the early 70's I find Audi's attitude toward the RS3 exactly the same as that of Lotus; build it and sell it and let the owners sort it out themselves; and it worked for Lotus as it does now for Audi as these cars are fabulous and most owners ignore these individual issues because the car itself is just so damn good!

For sure I wouldn't swap mine for anything else.

Reactions: Kelza