RS3 - strange, intermittent rattle(?) noise

davidj240

Reaction score
Hello all - I am new to the forum so please excuse me picking the brains of wiser heads than my own as an introduction...

I have had a 2017 model for about 6 months now - absolutely brilliant car to drive. It is a true Jekyll & Hyde: docile and refined in town and something else when the space is there to open up!

I am struggling with a very strange, intermittent noise that has stumped everyone I have shown it to (including the garage I bought it from). The sound file below hopefully captures it: the recording is made just above the dashboard, although the sound seems like it is coming from the area around the driver RH side vent/A pillar/adjacent speaker. I have wondered given the location about (say) leaf material, but I have cleaned out all the vents with no joy.

What seems weird is a) the noise is completely intermittent - one *normally* gets it at higher speeds and/or on rougher road surfaces, but no guarantee and b) it almost sounds like an electrical or metallic noise. It is very strange and I can't work it out at all.

I've tried all the obvious things I can think of, including removing everything from the cabin of the car, turning the A/C on and off, different fan speeds, etc. All to no avail.

The car is under warranty for a few months more, but without being able to locate it (the garage were unable to replicate it, even when I sat in the car with them) there is a limited benefit in hacking bits out to see if anything is amiss.

Can anyone help at all? I would be very, very grateful if anyone has any bright ideas! Thank you for reading.

What a curious sound. Like a creaking sound. Fascinated to hear what some of the more useful forum members think it is.

Rattles and creaks like this are the absolute bane of my existence. This generation of A3 (having owned an 8P too) do seem a bit creaky. I've got bits of felt shoved in dash gaps ... don't even get me started on the clunky sunroof!

Hello all - I am new to the forum so please excuse me picking the brains of wiser heads than my own as an introduction...

I have had a 2017 model for about 6 months now - absolutely brilliant car to drive. It is a true Jekyll & Hyde: docile and refined in town and something else when the space is there to open up!

I am struggling with a very strange, intermittent noise that has stumped everyone I have shown it to (including the garage I bought it from). The sound file below hopefully captures it: the recording is made just above the dashboard, although the sound seems like it is coming from the area around the driver RH side vent/A pillar/adjacent speaker. I have wondered given the location about (say) leaf material, but I have cleaned out all the vents with no joy.

What seems weird is a) the noise is completely intermittent - one *normally* gets it at higher speeds and/or on rougher road surfaces, but no guarantee and b) it almost sounds like an electrical or metallic noise. It is very strange and I can't work it out at all.

I've tried all the obvious things I can think of, including removing everything from the cabin of the car, turning the A/C on and off, different fan speeds, etc. All to no avail.

The car is under warranty for a few months more, but without being able to locate it (the garage were unable to replicate it, even when I sat in the car with them) there is a limited benefit in hacking bits out to see if anything is amiss.

Can anyone help at all? I would be very, very grateful if anyone has any bright ideas! Thank you for reading.

Has it had something fitted at some point, maybe a dash cam and if it’s been removed before you bought it maybe they haven’t put the trim back correctly, or left something loose inside the trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I genuinely don't think so - at least not as far as I can work out. I've checked the trim (as far as it's possible to do so, I guess...) and it all seems fine. The weirdest thing, as I mentioned in my initial message, is just how intermittent it is - Tuesday was problem free but Saturday was deafeningly loud. I genuinely don't understand it. Thanks so much to all who have come up with suggestions so far. I don't want to sell but it's the sort of thing that makes you lose patience, ridiculous as it sounds I know...