S3 8p have a cambelt or timing chain? or both?

Max Baynes

Reaction score
Hi, having issues getting an answer for this. Bloke selling his S3 seems to think it has a timing chain without a water pump or cambelt. I dont know much about engines, i just wanted to know so i could get it serviced etc. its an 07. Thanks

Hi, having issues getting an answer for this. Bloke selling his S3 seems to think it has a timing chain without a water pump or cambelt. I dont know much about engines, i just wanted to know so i could get it serviced etc. its an 07. Thanks
They have both bud you have a rubber toothed belt on the lfh side when looking at the engine which does your water pump etc and chain on the rhd for the cams done mine fairly recently
61448e885cabca6f8d8e63ce6bdff648.jpg
9ce6e04d7d32bac667c267e6294dff2f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Reactions: PantherS3 and Max Baynes
They have both bud you have a rubber toothed belt on the lfh side when looking at the engine which does your water pump etc and chain on the rhd for the cams done mine fairly recently
61448e885cabca6f8d8e63ce6bdff648.jpg
9ce6e04d7d32bac667c267e6294dff2f.jpg

right i see, this is the reply i got from the dealer... this sounds wrong to me...

"They can have either a cam belt or a timing chain. This one has a timing chain and not a cambelt, so there will not be any record of the cambelt and waterpump being done, as it doesn’t have one. With a timing chain, it doesn’t need to be changed and this was the benefit of having one of these rather than a cambelt. Hope this helps. Cheers"

right i see, this is the reply i got from the dealer... this sounds wrong to me...

"They can have either a cam belt or a timing chain. This one has a timing chain and not a cambelt, so there will not be any record of the cambelt and waterpump being done, as it doesn’t have one. With a timing chain, it doesn’t need to be changed and this was the benefit of having one of these rather than a cambelt. Hope this helps. Cheers"
Tell em to **** off generally timing belts have a life span of 60k and chains are rated at 100k. It not the chain its the actually tensioner that tends to **** up and cause hell on earth depending on the mileage i would change both unless one or the other has been done with proof of receipt etc from.credible source

Reactions: leonwilliams and Max Baynes
So he's basically trying to sell you a car that hasn't had a cambelt change or trying to wriggle out of doing one?

Well it doesn’t have a cam belt does it, it has a cam (timing) chain, and an auxiliary belt for water pump etc.. The difference in terminology is important.

Well it doesn’t have a cam belt does it, it has a cam (timing) chain, and an auxiliary belt for water pump etc.. The difference in terminology is important.
Yes mate it does pulley at the top is commected to 1 camshaft and on other end of the cam shaft theres a chain that drives the other camshaft

Auxillqry belts are just that, auxiliary and domt run of the same belt as the water pump if you look at my photos carefully you see the alternator belt is separate from the cam belt (LHD of the engine)
In total.the s3 8p engine has 2 rubber belts and 2 chains
Auxiliary belt
Cam/water pump belt
Cam timing chain
And the 4th chain is inside your sump for the oil pump also a **** if it goes wrong

Auxillqry belts are just that, auxiliary and domt run of the same belt as the water pump if you look at my photos carefully you see the alternator belt is separate from the cam belt (LHD of the engine)
In total.the s3 8p engine has 2 rubber belts and 2 chains
Auxiliary belt
Cam/water pump belt
Cam timing chain
And the 4th chain is inside your sump for the oil pump also a **** if it goes wrong

How much is it costing to replace all of those and/or when should they be done?(and cost pls x)

How much is it costing to replace all of those and/or when should they be done?(and cost pls x)
Mine started getting noisey at 60k so i replace all apart from the one in the sump cost me 800 in parts or so gave my mate 300 for using his garage tools and help garage will probably charge 1.3-1.5 not to worried about the one in the sump as its always lubricated and felt good when i checked it whilst doing the oil pick up pipe

Reactions: Bryant1998
You are correct, Terminology is important. In this instance the terminology was spot on.
This engine has a timing chain and a timing belt. This is common knowledge and not mistaken terminology.

Reactions: e9_mustii