S3 ordering question

Supa Koopa

It's my birthday
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to here so treat me gently. :)

I've already ordered a car from a different manufacturer but I'm thinking of scratching the S3 itch. The Audi would be significantly more money a month than the one I've ordered and for a much longer term to keep the PCP payments reasonable, but it is something I'm willing to do. The only issue is that to keep it reasonable I need to ignore most of the options list, I'm only thinking of the auto lights and wipers, interior lighting pack, Audi Sound, maybe Sat Nav and it would probably be a flat colour. So do you think a base S3 in a flat colour would be a good purchase or would I be hit badly on resale when it comes to trade in. It will be on a 4 year PCP so if I was to keep it that long I know the options would largely be irrelevant, but my concern is trying to sell it before then and getting hit hard so that the car is worth less than the GMFV and so you have to keep it.

I've also been advised against Ibis white as the dealer spouted he'd never seen an S3 in Ibis.

Cheers,
Craig.

Hi, welcome to Audi-sport.net have a read over the a3 section. Enjoy the forum :) x

Hi,

I'm new to here so treat me gently. :)

I've already ordered a car from a different manufacturer but I'm thinking of scratching the S3 itch. The Audi would be significantly more money a month than the one I've ordered and for a much longer term to keep the PCP payments reasonable, but it is something I'm willing to do. The only issue is that to keep it reasonable I need to ignore most of the options list, I'm only thinking of the auto lights and wipers, interior lighting pack, Audi Sound, maybe Sat Nav and it would probably be a flat colour. So do you think a base S3 in a flat colour would be a good purchase or would I be hit badly on resale when it comes to trade in. It will be on a 4 year PCP so if I was to keep it that long I know the options would largely be irrelevant, but my concern is trying to sell it before then and getting hit hard so that the car is worth less than the GMFV and so you have to keep it.

I've also been advised against Ibis white as the dealer spouted he'd never seen an S3 in Ibis.

Cheers,
Craig.

Welcome to the forum

Dealer is correct in that he has not seen an S3 in Ibis White as they have only been available from this model year which started in build week 21 or 22 and we are now only build week 27. So the first of the Ibis White S3's are only just arriving in the country.

I had originally ordered Ibis White as prefer it to Glacier White but eventually changed the colour to Sepang Blue.

In general options dont have much affect on resale values and you have picked the most popular ones (Comfort Pack, Audi SS) IMHO and as you are thinking of adding Sat nav you will not have any problem with selling on.

Thank you, that's a much more helpful reply.

It's just quite a step spending an extra £50 a month for 2 more years over what I've ordered, especially as my local dealers really are useless so I'd have to do a fair bit of travelling. My wife doesn't want me to get the Audi as the dealers really were that bad. Always knew the Sytner group were bad, but they excelled this time. Point blank told me they wanted to earn £2,500 profit on my order so were not interested in my business and matching any other dealer prices.

What have you ordered, would like to know what the S3 competition is!!!

Would seriously look at other local dealers, other members might be able to reccommend good dealers based on your location or use one of the online car brokers, to get best price on the S3,

Not sure about letting you know what I've ordered. :) It's a Focus ST-3, with discount and deposit allowance it's £22,500. Every review for the ST is very positive and most of the ones for the S3 are good but not great. I'm just not sure I'm at the right age to be owning a ST as everyone on the forum I'm on seems to be concerned with wearing their baseball caps backwards, slamming the car and hydro dipping their engine bay. I think I'm too old for that crap. :)

I'm in West Yorkshire and unfortunately every dealer in my area is Sytner, I would have to travel to Liverpool, Grimsby or Coventry for a decent price. I've used carwow and been given a great price from Coventry. I've only sat in a car due to the fact the guy at Audi Wakefield wasn't remotely interested as soon as he found out he would have to discount the car.

I can't really comment on the Focus ST-3 as have not test driven one but maybe looking at the discounted prices the expectations of S3 owners from a £30k car are maybe higher than those of ST owners and their £23K car hence the relative negativeness on the S3 on here recently ...and IMHO this forum has become rather over critical on the S3

Understand what you say about the age thing, that's why I opted for Sepang Blue over Ibis White as I think white cars are more for the younger generation (my opinion) but I am looking forward to parking next to the orange ST in the work car park (now that is childish!!!)

that said I would suggest test driving both before you make your own choice and would reccommend testing driving the S3 locally and then ordering from Coventry should you go the S3 route

BTW I almost ordered from Coventry Audi (100 miles away) and found the sales guy very good , even wished me luck when I did not order from them, but a local dealer matched their price in the end

Not sure about letting you know what I've ordered. :) It's a Focus ST-3, with discount and deposit allowance it's £22,500. Every review for the ST is very positive and most of the ones for the S3 are good but not great. I'm just not sure I'm at the right age to be owning a ST as everyone on the forum I'm on seems to be concerned with wearing their baseball caps backwards, slamming the car and hydro dipping their engine bay. I think I'm too old for that ****. :)

I looked at the Focus ST-3 when I was deciding on what to buy last year - it's a great car.

If I was to compare the two then IMO the Focus is more fun for a Sunday afternoon blast on a windy B road but the Audi is better for everything else (but it's £10k more expensive so it should be!).

As for the age concern I think that the current Focus ST (providing you go for a sensible colour) looks quite restrained so that would not put me off, there are no bonnet scoops or huge spoilers and the exhaust is no more OTT than the 4 pipes you get on the S3. And have a hunt round the pictures on this forum - there are plenty of slammed Audi's!

I do agree that the perception of the Audi is that it is a more grown up car and less of a boy racer but personally I wouldn't get too hung up on that, look at both cars, look at your finances and make your own mind up.

Having owned Ibis for nearly five years have to say it is a great colour.
Wanted to compare with the metalic white. With the dealer we found two a5's side by side and the difference was only slight. Only reason for me not going for it, fancied a change.
Sepang for me is too young ! Gone for Daytona grey to match my hair.
My dealer was difficult but got there in the end. Now trying to hold myself to a budget on options....

What a ridiculous statement. It's white for heavens sake, same as lots of other cars on the road!
Why not consider brilliant red. Looks great and Not so common as white. :blahblah1:

Yes , l have seen the brilliant red and that looked good too. In fact all of the flat colours looked good...
I would have been happy with any of them....

:yes:Well after spending 3 hours in Audi Leeds, it would appear I may have bought an S3. It's not the spec I wanted, it's not the colour I wanted, it's more money than I wanted to spend and it's more expensive than I could have got one for from Coventry. But overall I'm quite happy. lol

I've not driven one yet as they are sourcing me a car to drive and the deposit is subject to me liking it. But the good bit is it is a stock car so I can have it quite quickly if I decide to go for it.

S3 Stronic in Brilliant Black
Black Styling Pack
Comfort Pack
Audi Sound System
Privacy Glass
SD Nav

That was a very expensive quick look around the garage. :yes:

Reactions: vacant
Hi.
I wouldn't worry about ordering via orangewheels and Coventry Audi. I ordered my s3 sb from there, I live near Lancaster, they delivered it to my door on the back of a low loader for £120.
Driver went through all the options etc, all in all a great service, plus 3.6k off list price.

I wasn't worried about ordering through Coventry would just prefer to go to a local if I can. It's cost me a bit more but I could pick it up in a week if I wanted to so that's a bonus.

I've ordered the car subject to a happy test drive tomorrow when they find me a demo. Looking forward to it.