S3 Power Boost

Fozzer

Reaction score
could someone please explain power boost in my new S3 please as the manual has little information on it.
Thanks

The boost gauge is just a very rough gauge of how hard the turbo is working. I believe it doesn’t actually measure turbo pressure as most believe but the engine torque. Pretty much a waste of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The boost gauge is just a very rough gauge of how hard the turbo is working. I believe it doesn’t actually measure turbo pressure as most believe but the engine torque. Pretty much a waste of time.

^^^ This

I don't mind it thought. Bit of window dressing on the dash.

I think I'd rather have the temperature gauge if I'm honest

Reactions: GW1, rvtb101, Flying Scotsman and 1 other person
Yeah, it looks nice but I had to do a VCDS hack to get the oil temp to show permanently on the dash.

it's definitely boost pressure, why would you even think it's engine torque??? It's not a precise meter, but unless you're tuned why would you need exact boost readout? And if you're tuned, you should have OBD or a turbo gauge of some sort anyway?

If I remember correctly it was APR that said it took an engine torque reading from the ECU and not actual boost pressure. They did some research on the S3 boost gauge after being asked by a customer if the gauge could be recalibrated for their maps. The answer was no.
I’ll see if I can find the link.

I’m APR Stage 1 and manage perfectly fine not looking at the ‘boost’ gauge.

If I remember correctly it was APR that said it took an engine torque reading from the ECU and not actual boost pressure. They did some research on the S3 boost gauge after being asked by a customer if the gauge could be recalibrated for their maps. The answer was no.
I’ll see if I can find the link.

I’m APR Stage 1 and manage perfectly fine not looking at the ‘boost’ gauge.

Isn't it common sense though? If it's engine torque, shouldn't it be active at all time rather than under heavier load?? And there're channels in the ECU for pre-boost, actual boost etc, why would Audi chose to use the boost gauge to show something else? Besides, one look at VCDS or any OBD device will tell you it's boost... I dunno, but if that statement actually came from APR...

And... isn't that exactly my point saying the gauge is there for general reference rather than "waste of time"?

Isn't it common sense though? If it's engine torque, shouldn't it be active at all time rather than under heavier load?? And there're channels in the ECU for pre-boost, actual boost etc, why would Audi chose to use the boost gauge to show something else? Besides, one look at VCDS or any OBD device will tell you it's boost... I dunno, but if that statement actually came from APR...

And... isn't that exactly my point saying the gauge is there for general reference rather than "waste of time"?

Yeah, you’re not wrong, it’s definitely there for a reference of how the turbo is working and it looks cool too, but as far as I know it just isn’t reflecting psi like some people think.
And..if you map the ECU for higher boost the gauge doesn’t reflect this.

I tend to believe this as since getting my car mapped and it generating more boost the gauge doesn’t seem to behave any differently from before it was mapped.

I need to find that link with the info as it’s interesting reading.

Yeah, you’re not wrong, it’s definitely there for a reference of how the turbo is working and it looks cool too, but as far as I know it just isn’t reflecting psi like some people think.
And..if you map the ECU for higher boost the gauge doesn’t reflect this.

I tend to believe this as since getting my car mapped and it generating more boost the gauge doesn’t seem to behave any differently from before it was mapped.

I need to find that link with the info as it’s interesting reading.

You're right it doesn't reflect higher boost than stock since it's scaled for 1.3bar max I think? So, remap, piggyback with higher than stock boost will not be reflected correctly, but it is still the actual boost up to 1.3bar nonetheless... And that's why I said most tuned owner will opt for boost gauge of some sort?

I’ve got a PFL S3 Saloon and it’s buried in the menu by default.
You need VCDS to display it permanently on the dash.

Reactions: sve170