S3 stronic saloon or s4 b8.5 stronic

Dan930

Reaction score
im still deciding on which one to buy...which one will be quicker in acceleration down the 1/4mile
S4 with pulley,exhaust,intake & Map
Or
S3 saloon with all bolt ons & map
Both s-tronic

I went from ordering not one but 2 new S3 s-tronic saloon's to a S4 saloon

Not for the modding reasons if I'm being honest

S4 (which are all s-tronic as standard in the Uk) is 1/10 second slower to 62mph than the equivalent S3 saloon

Reactions: veeeight
I had an S4 previously, and after someone T-boned it, I went for an S3 as with a new A4 platform on the way, the finance numbers were not as strong.

Both cars were remapped, and although the S3 is considerably quicker from 0-60, the S4 was significantly more rewarding to drive.

Reactions: veeeight
Does size matter? Excuse the pun. S3 is the smaller lighter car but the S4 V6 super charged engine and torsen quattro is hard to pass up though. S4 also has more torque too.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I do Like the s4 but worried I will get bored after I do the pulley & map upgrade as there's nothing available on the market for more power,the s3 has & will have more choice on power upgrades

Does size matter? Excuse the pun. S3 is the smaller lighter car but the S4 V6 super charged engine and torsen quattro is hard to pass up though. S4 also has more torque too.

This. Torsen based Quattro makes a difference in my experience. That the supercharged V6 is a great lump!
I personally love that supercharger whine and with deep enough pockets you can achieve big gains:

Reactions: AndyB-S3 and veeeight
That's not fair ! How come they can get a manual in the states ??

I would suspect the S3 would be quicker as it's lighter, what are we looking at, S3+bolt ons + map = 400/400 or so, S5 pulley etc. = 450/450 ish? I think the S3 would have more BHP/torque per ton.

However one will sound like a 4 pot, and one will sound glorious ;)

I'd buy the S3 if all you want to do is burn up the 1/4 ..

Reactions: Simon L
I would suspect the S3 would be quicker as it's lighter, what are we looking at, S3+bolt ons + map = 400/400 or so, S5 pulley etc. = 450/450 ish? I think the S3 would have more BHP/torque per ton.

However one will sound like a 4 pot, and one will sound glorious ;)

I'd buy the S3 if all you want to do is burn up the 1/4 ..

.....yep, 400 horses on an S3 = seriously fast beastie!!

.....should be a piece of p1ss to bounce it round corners, totally lose control and spank it into a hedge or two! (thought I'd save Veeeight the effort this time) ;)

Reactions: Rob2k68, elpaulio, Psyman79 and 1 other person
Anybody know what are the limits off bhp & torque on these engines?

Simple. Wait for the RS3 > S3 > S4

...if you can forgive the price tag and rather mediocre styling, sure why not?

Seems Audi just don't want you to have yer cake and eat it ;)

It's out of my price range...I've got low 30's to spend on a car